284 thoughts on “My Ex Boyfriend Dumped Me For Another Girl… What Can I Do?”

Rachel

November 4, 2016 at 6:17 pm

I have a problem. I am my exs best friend and he is mine. A few months ago he broke things off with me because “he couldn’t get this girl off of is mind and it wasn’t fair to me”. After reading a lot of articles on this site I have figured out that she’s an “ungettable” girl. She would constantly ignore him and then pull him in and then ignore him and then pull him in. And it worked on him like a charm… I’m in the process of trying to get him back- I just initiated the no contact period. What do I do? I feel out of my league with this. He fell out of love with me because he was chasing this girl and now it looks like they might start a relationship. I’m heartbroken and torn up over this and I just want to figure out how to get him back. Because I know they aren’t good for one another (based on their personalities) and I know for a fact that if she hadn’t come into the picture I would still be with my ex. Please I need some guidance.

November 6, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Hi Rachel,

be the ungettable girl too.. Your edge is you had memories, they didnt.. Even if they get together, he’ll unconsciously compare you to her, once he does and checks you, be prepared..So, be active in posting social media..show that you’re moving on..

Sash

October 31, 2016 at 8:39 pm

My ex and I had been together for 6 years and we were engaged, we broke off since July he indicated we had unresolved issues and it appears the relationship is not growing. He stated he wanted to move out which he did. After the breakup I didnt handled it well.
    But soon after I started my research,I began reading and researching since then I completed my no contact rule. I text him recently stating I saw a commercial that reminded me of when we had gone on a mini-vacation, he replied and said good memories. After which I also text him saying that I had reflected on the breakup and I fully believe that the break up was the right thing to do. He responded and said it was the best for both of us and he his glad that I could see that.
    Also stated to him that it would be foolish if we throw away this great friendship and would love if we could hang out some time.

November 1, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Hi Sash,
      how long did you do the no contact rule and how much did you improve?

Silvia

October 23, 2016 at 11:27 am

Hi, I have a situation. My boyfriend broke up with me last week because we ‘don’t work well as a team under pressure ‘ and because we ‘have different interests’ and while I agree with his first reason, I think it’s something we could work on together but he said ‘if we’ve been together this long and nothing has changed why would it now?’ We we’re together for almost a year. Which brings me to this.. when I first met him he was still seeing his ex, but I had no idea. She came to visit and I ended up meeting her and finding out he was seeing us both at the same time, I confronted him and broke up with him. He begged and pleaded for us to get back together and after a while I gave him another chance and we were happy until recently. He had no contact with her he actually unfriended her on Facebook after everything happened. Now it’s been a week since we broke up and I saw on Facebook that they’ve recently become friends again. What should I do because I want him back but this hurts so much? I’m currently 11days into no contact but I’m confused

Silvia

November 10, 2016 at 9:18 am

Today is day 30 of NC, i haven’t heard from my ex since day 3. I will travel to London tomorrow so I think this is the perfect time to send a first contact message. I’ve made changes in my life: exercise routine, made new friends, left the country twice for weekend trips, started going out more and started reading more books. But these changes I’ve made are not obvious because I’m really bad with social media! I posted a few pictures but nothing like what he has been posting. How will he know that I’ve changed?

prior to us breaking up he avoided me for 2 weeks because we argued loads over summer. 1 week before we broke up we met to talk and I acknowledged and accepted responsibility for my role in all our problems then apologised for them he did not do the same. A week later we broke up and I went straight into no contact and what I said above is where I am now.

November 13, 2016 at 5:08 pm

well, there’s no other way around but just to be active in posting because you dont have any other means.

Silvia

November 1, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Hi Amor. I went straight into no contact after my breakup and its 21days now but I’m beginning to feel discouraged. My ex hasn’t contacted me and he is also travelling to new places every weekend with our mutal friends (things we usually did together). It seems like he is much happier without me and he has no trouble moving on as he has distractions, I don’t think he thinks about me. I want to contact him next weekend after the 30 days however i’m scared he will ignore me

November 2, 2016 at 7:06 pm

if you are active in the no contact rule, if you improved yourself, that when he checks your account, he would think you are starting to move on, then it’s ok to initiate contact because he would probably think you’re just being friendly

Silvia

October 28, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Thanks Amor, so very last thing. I went straight into no contact after my boyfriend broke up with me, i am on day 17 now however last night I went for some drinks with a friend and he was at the bar with his mates. I didn’t speak to him the whole time I was there, I socialised with other people and also left before he did. Does this mean I’ve broken the no contact rule? (it’s not mentioned in the exceptions) and do you think I should extend my no contact period?

October 29, 2016 at 1:54 am

nope , dont worry, you didn’t break the no contact rule.

Silvia

October 26, 2016 at 5:23 am

Thanks for replying. I’m worried that it’s not just a rebound though, and maybe being with me made him realise he wants her. Hes 30 and I’m 22 and this girl is 23 but Even I think she’s more suited to him, but she lives in another country which is the only thing that makes me have hope.

Also, my ex an I are neighbours and live in a small town. So far I’m 15 days into no contact I don’t know how I’ve managed to not see him but he also hasn’t contacted me, since day 3 of no contact but that was just to give me his new phone number. What do you think?

October 27, 2016 at 7:54 pm

then it’s really more likely a rebound because it’s hard to have a long distance relationship…

October 24, 2016 at 11:52 pm

Hi Silvia,
      he’s probably using her as a rebound.. focus in improving yourself during no contacf..check this no contact:
      EBR 060: “Dating Yourself” During No Contact With Veronica Grant

Nic

October 14, 2016 at 4:24 pm

I’ll try to keep this as short as I can. My ex broke up with me almost three months ago, telling me he no longer loved had the same feelings and that he had changed. He stated that he didn’t want a relationship. I haven’t had any contact from him since then (I successfully implemented the no contact rule and have continued it even now). I cut contact with him and unfollowed him on Facebook (remained friends, but didn’t want to see his feed). About a month ago, I discovered he had hooked up with his ex again. She’s away at college right now (we’re both seniors in high school). They’re aren’t “official”, but he supposedly calls her at night and talks to her. Before he had hooked up with his ex again, he had made out with her best friend over the summer (I don’t know if it was while we were together or not, and I don’t want to know preferably). After I found this out, I unfriended him.

However, that’s not my issue. My issue is that I’ve been dressing up, implementing the no contact rule, and it seems like he doesn’t even notice/care. He doesn’t look at me, if anything, he makes sure he doesn’t look at me. I feel like I’m losing at this. I know I’m prettier than his ex (both personality and appearance, because she’s very petty and immature). I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or if I’m just incapable of being the unbeatable girl.

October 14, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Hi Nic,

break the ice.. just smile if you run into each other. Yeah, he may not be all over you but that doesn’t mean he can’t see your improvements.

Marie

October 9, 2016 at 6:16 pm

When you say patience, how long do you think it would take? Obviously if he’s into her a lot, it could be a long relationship or could be as long as the honeymoon period (months to years). If they break up after a long time, and you are still interested in him, is it possible to reignite the attraction after a year or two? The thing is, he will have to get over THAT breakup or be the one to break up with her, and then you are dealing with someone who only wants her back? I guess my question is, will there be too much water under the bridge if they go through a full cycle of a relationship (honeymoon, steady, breakup)

October 11, 2016 at 9:50 am

You have to be observant and be strong enough to stick to your standards.. if you see that he’s still into her ex, you have to walk away.

Ellen

October 9, 2016 at 8:56 am

My ex and I were together for about 8 months he broke up with me 10 days ago and is already posting instagrams with his new girlfriend out and about. I feel really betrayed sent him a message yesterday saying I didnt really want anything to do with him. My main issue is I work with him and leaving my job isnt an immediate option so I inevitably have to see his face every single day. Im not sure what to do in terms of making him see he’s made a mistake. Although I can do the no contact rule in terms of not interacting I do have to see him which makes it very difficult. He does seem extremely happy with this new girl and based on his response yesterday doesn’t seem to think he’s done anything wrong. What is the best approach when seeing your ex is inevitable?

Jess

October 18, 2016 at 4:43 am

I suppose I was originally the “other” girl, though I didn’t know at the time… My ex broke up with his girlfriend to be with me. We dated for 4 months, and once he saw her again the new school year, he dumped me to be with her again. What’s a girl to do????!!! It seems like it’s hopeless. I’ve been improving myself and doing NC for about 3 weeks. I have no idea how to attract him once again now that he’s decided the grass isn’t greener with me…. Please help me!

October 19, 2016 at 10:04 am

Hi Jess,
      You have to initiate contact agter nc but you have to be careful that he wont think you’re trying to get him back…If he wenr back to her because he realized he really loved her then your best chance is if they start to have problems again

October 10, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Sue

October 4, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Me and my ex have been on and off for 6 years now… he has done this to me in the past but always find himself telling me he cant stop thinking of me when he is with another woman. I never once cheated on him. I only say a lot of crap I dont mean out of hate and anger. I do not think before I speak. We argue a lot over jealousy. He constantly was talking to his new gf behind my back while I was with him. She knew about me and wanted to fight me over my man yes while I was with him. She said she does not care if a man is taken she will snatch him if she wants him. Well he ended up leaving me for her because of the crazy things I said to him like “I will get with one of your friends since you wanna go talk to someone else behind my back” Well I still see him almost everyday and he is still with her. He says he confused he loves the both of us. She has not act crazy towards him yet in the relationship yet. But she is so happy she took him from me. He said he is not letting me go. He just cant decide but she has the gf title. Is he just having fun? Will he be back? I text him alot as well long paragraphs about us. Should i just do the no contact rule?

October 6, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Hi Sue,

Yes, I think you should do the no contact rule to help him realize that you’re not going wait forever.. It looks like he can’t let go of her because he feels more secure with her.

WhatElseCouldGoWrong!

October 2, 2016 at 7:24 am

My ex and I are both on our 30’s and were friends for 9 years and for nearly the last 4 in a relationship (the first 2 were distance and the last nearly 2 we lived together). We had planned a life together – house, dog kids etc and had been trying to conceive since earlier this year. He ended things 6 weeks ago citing a lot of small reasons the compounded into 2 bigger reasons (feeling like he was walking on egg shells & feeling like he couldn’t be himself) and these resulted in him not being happy. He dealt with all of this internally and said by the time he realized something was wrong it was too late and ended it. The first 3 days were emotional but the remainder of the first 3 weeks were amicable as we had to sort out division of assets/ money etc. We also had short discussions about work, family etc. During this time he told me he still loved me but it was different and he missed me. I had a miscarriage a week or so after the break up but have not told him ad I did not realize I was pregnant at the time, Dr’s cited stress of the break up.

I’m 22 days into NC – day 4 he sent me 2 IM’s and a text which I did not respond to (besides the polite “thanks” there was no need), day 8 I was blocked on FB, day 11 he sent me another IM about a piece of junk mail that had arrived for me and that afternoon unblocked me on FB. Since them there have been no further attempts to contact me.

This is were things get interesting – we have a female friend who is the only person who is openly hostile towards me. I have been friends with her for the duration of the relationship and they have been friends for about 1 year longer. I found out yesterday that they are now together and she will be moving into his flat (as a couple) in a couple of weeks when she gets back from her course. My ex has been going to see her some weekends since we slit up and while with a group of friends 2 nights ago said that they have been friends for a while and he didn’t know why it took so long. The impression the people I knew in the group got was that they had already started talking about it before the break up and this is the actual reason for the break up. Nothing physical happened prior to the break up.

This female has a reputation of being a homewrecker as this is the 4th time she has done this (that I know of), but it seems that out of the 4 my ex seems the most sucked in by her. He was talking about getting a new career with better money so he could save for a house and have extra money for kids (the same things we talked about for the last 3 years). It’s like he has taken all the things we wanted and transferred them on to her.

During NC I have lost over 6kg (not that I was big to start with), have been putting extra pride into my appearance and have been getting out more. The last 2-3 weeks I was even starting to laugh again! Now I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me…again. I have not made any attempt to contact him as I need to (once again) get my head straight.

I need this NC time for me (between the break up, the miscarriage and this new development I have had a lot to work through) but I would also like to make things work between us. I know she is doing things to try and purge me from his life (talking him into buying a new bed etc) and with all this in mind would the above plan be of benefit to me? Also any other insight/guidance/advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sandra

October 10, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Hi Amor,
      I have been improving myself. I’ve lost a bunch of weight, dressing better, been getting out and bout etc. I have been focusing on me but he works for the same organisation I do and though we don’t see each other at work we have a few people in common.

Yesterday was the end of my NC and I text him today the “you’re not going to believe what I saw yesterday” text. He responded straight away with “what”. I wanted an hour and text that I was out walking in the hills and saw an awesome container house (he really likes them) and it made me think of him. He txt back within a min with “ok”. So I politely make my excuses to leave the conversation (work lunch).

I want to think he txt “ok” because he didn’t know what to say (awkward maybe?) but to he honest I’m trying hard not to freakout! The original plan was to txt today and then not txt tomorrow and txt the day after. Is this still a good idea?

October 11, 2016 at 4:27 pm

HI Sandra,

try waiting 3-5 days before texting again, because it’s a neutral text.

WhatElseCouldGoWrong!

October 8, 2016 at 9:28 am

Hi Amor,
      As she was my friend too I can tell you that she does not have the ability to provide him with all the things he wants in a partner, sure she makes a good drinking, playstation playing and talking sh!t buddy but lacks the maternal nature to be a partner/mother (other people have made this comment also). I suspect she is trying very hard to tick all the boxes that he is looking for but I don’t think a person can sustain that for a long period of time. I don’t know if he would miss me if he saw me again (I hope so) but he definitely wouldn’t think of the bad times or bad of me. As I said the first three days were emotional but the rest of the three weeks were amicable, since then I have been in NC.

Since I made my first comment I have had people we have in common tell things (and no I haven’t asked or been digging for information). While having a few drinks (the night he said he was with this girl) his attitude was belligerent the whole night towards everything. I have also been told his flat a pig sty (beer bottles and chip packets everywhere, not the house proud person they all knew). These people we have in common have expressed concern for him to me, as they believe this is really out of character for him (and they have known him for years). All I have said to them is that this was his choice and the life he has chosen for himself and that if they were that concerned they should raise their concerns with him. What do you think about this new information?

I bought the texting bible (along with the other eBooks) and my 30 day NC ends in 2 days and I’m still trying to figure out what to text him?!? It’s like some of the hardest homework I have ever had LOL.

October 10, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Ok.. first, you have to be less motherly.. because he has mom.. you have to be a girlfriend or a wife in the future.. and that means being an equal partner.. But I think what you mean is that you’re caring.. which is good.. just don’t over do it.. Second, what I mean by my questions is that, did you improve yourself? Did you have a makeover, did new things, met new people and made new friends? If he saw you and talked to you would he regret not having you in his life?

October 4, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Hi What else could go wrong,

if she started seducing your ex before you broke up then that means he saw as a grass is greener case, and the best you can do now is to be better than her. The honeymoon phase will end, and when it does, when he compares you to her, would he think you’re better than her?

You have an edge because you have a lot of memories together, and they are going too fast, but the question is, would he miss you if he sees you again or would he think of the bad times?

Dior R.

September 29, 2016 at 10:21 am

Hello Guys!!

Please I would like to ask for your opinion.
    My ex and I dated for more that 5 years, it was the first time that we were both able to stick in a long term relationship. Like all couples, we also had a lot of projects for our future together, and one of them was to go abroad finish our education and start life as adult. During this time, on our 2 year of being abroad, he went back home, and came back 3 months later, with a girl, which was actually his new girlfriend. I was shocked and had heart break as It was something I did not expect.
    It has been 4 years now that we broke up since those times, and during this whole time, we never communicated.He cut me out totally from everything.
    During this years I was able to build my self back and move to another country to start my life and continue on my carreer pursuit, and I was able to forget about him.
    My problem now is that I feel the need to talk to him to understand the reason why those things happen, and honestly I never felt like that before but I do miss him even though he never crossed my head for the last 3 years. This is a very new feeling and I feel lost, everyone around me dont understand me neither do I.
    Please Guys, what should I do?
    Thank you.

September 30, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Hi Dior,

Is it for closure?

Taylor

September 25, 2016 at 9:07 am

Hi There, love the site and the information shared, it is pretty insightful. Are there circumstances where you would advise against reconnecting with an ex?

This is my story – I just got out of a 5 year relationship. I have a son from a former relationship but there was not an issue with that. I was very guarded and wanted to make sure the man I dated after my son’s father (who pulled a “Tiger Woods” and cheated with multiple women, was abusive and I found out was also doing drugs- basically living a secret life aside from the one we had together..) My sons father is restricted to supervised visitation and he has never seen him since the age of 1 because he refuses to attend.

With that being said, I waited a year before introducing this new man of mine to my son, to make sure there was stability and that it would in fact be a serious relationship.

We dated and had a great connection, as any new and blooming relationship would. There were a few red flags that I had noticed in the beginning: He was almost 30 living with parents and did not drive for years due to 2 DUI’s.. He also had mentioned he had NEVER had a serious relationship and slept around a lot but wanted to change and have a family.. He worked full time, he went to college and he seemed committed to becoming this person he told me he was now. In the beginning, (before he met my son) I would pick him up before I went to work and take him to college because we lived about 25 miles away from each other but his school was close to my job so I made it happen so we could see each other and not just on the weekends. I helped him get his driver’s license back and he seemed to continuously get promoted at work, he was doing great! Before we became “official” he told me this fantasy about always wanting to try an open relationship. I was not interested but since he had ideas of how much of a turn on it would be to have me brag about sexual escapades with other men and belittle him ( it was a form of being Degraded that he said was a turn on like a Dom/sub role). He participated in the “open” part, I did not.. I at that point didn’t take this whole experience seriously and told him that wasn’t what I was looking for and he knew what my last relationship was like. He basically proclaimed how stupid of an idea it was to try the “open” relationship thing and immediately wanted to be exclusive. He said he was in love with me and was not willing to let me go. Needless to say, since our connection seemed wonderful aside from that- I agreed. However the writing was on the wall because after we were seriously committed, I saw messages appear across his phone from other women.. When questioned he would get emotional and explain that it was a misunderstanding and took the phone password off and attempted to regain my trust.. At least once a year during our 5 year relationship- this happened where I would find out he was texting/fb/Instagram etc.. Women. He said it was just a Fantasy and compared it to porn stating these people he’d chat with- he didn’t know in reality and said that’s why he didn’t feel it was cheating. He knew how it made me feel and would stop, then the cycle would start all over again. I thought it would die out and things again seemed like they were on the right path, he became a manager at his job and we ended up renting a home together. A few days after moving in, he came downstairs to say “good morning, I love you! I’ll be down soon”.. Seconds later, a girl Facebook messages me asking if this was my boyfriend and that he’s messaging her constantly.. She sent screenshots, she didn’t know him. She thought it was f’d up and we talked for a while. Right after he said “good morning, I love you..” The time stamp of the message that day was a minute after he said that sentence! I was very upset and started packing to leave, he started crying and begging and said at that moment that he believes he has a “sex addiction” and will get help immediately. He did, the next week he started counseling. I was understanding and extremely supportive. We agreed to communicate if he had urges to start chatting with girls and I really played a highly active role being there for him, while also being a full-time, hard working mommy. His behavior changed, we became gym rats, we traveled, he stopped drinking (he used to drink a lot while sexting girls late at night while I was asleep most of the time)he was a better person, our quality of life improved so much, we talked marriage and kids all the time. (I found out he was planning on proposing to me on my birthday this year) it was great! I was on cloud 9, thinking everything is wonderful- I flew to his hometown and met his entire family, I was so happy and excited for our future and that we got through these challenges successfully together!

But of course, as fate would have it.. it stated again. His counselor had demanded he delete all social media during the recovery process as he was misusing felt that was a big step in recovery for him. He got rid of everything but Instagram citing it was so harmless and he barely used it.. I started seeing a trend of him “liking” a specific girl’s pictures.. One night after he came home from work, he said he was going to step out and call his brother who lives in another state. I didn’t know he left the house, he came back almost 2 hrs later.. I was concerned, asking if everything was okay.. He broke down sobbing, and proceeded to say he was not in love with me anymore and didn’t know why, he said he was confused. I asked if he was still in counseling- he said no, which I was completely unaware of. He the said during this 5 HR convo that he kissed a coworker and needed time to think for the weekend because he couldn’t “believe” what he had done.. This was on a Wednesday night, I was crushed but still determined thinking we can work through this. My son and him were so close, he even called him “dad” he was going to adopt my son.. I was so devastated.

He went to his parents and we met up Saturday at Starbucks talking for 5 hours again in person, we agreed we would go to his therapy sessions together and he said he’d be home on Sunday. He never came home he needed more time. Another week passed with me in a total state of confusion. I said I needed to know at least if we were going to try to resolve and move forward or not and he had no answer after another week passing. I told him I cannot wait for a 50/50 chance and place my life on hold while hurting. He got his things and left, leaving me with all of the bills. I saw on social media that he and this coworker he kissed- ended up getting together.. She is 21, he is 35 and I am 29. I was devistated all over again. He just threw me and my son away after all we had accomplished together and the amazing life we shared outside of his “addiction”. We don’t talk anymore, which I think is a good thing.. I feel used and broken hearted and like I never expected this to happen. Our families were shocked and so were our friends. He had attempted to mildly pursue me again and even though I am in love with him, I am hoping it will fade out. I feel vulnerable but my logic has kicked in and telling me not to go back into this if he pursues me again. I always am optimistic people can change if they want to, but granting yet another chance seems absolutely crazy to all of my family and friends which I understand but just wanting some additional advice. Thank you for reading, I appreciate your feedback

September 25, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Hi Taylor,

Yes, sometimes we do advise against getting back together and actually, that’s what I would advise you.. You should listen to this podcast, it’s the same reason why I won’t advise you getting back with him.
      EBR 056: My Ex Boyfriend Cheated On Me Multiple Times… What Do I Do?

Patricia

September 13, 2016 at 2:38 pm

I was very sad and shocked to find out that my ex had been teaching surfing to his sister’s friend (who he ended up leaving me for), and spending time with at concerts with his sister (I didn’t suspect anything). She’s newly single also. They started dating immediately so he must have had the plan to start dating her once he broke up with me. He says he’s in love with her now. I did interact with them, and it was pretty negative and emotional. I think that he had a hard weekend with her because of it. I know it will take a VERY long time, (until he is not infatuated with her anymore), but is there a chance he will come back to me? We were together for 2 years and a friend for a year before that. He did love me very much, until at least weeks/a few months before.

I don’t know if he started falling for her when she was breaking up with her ex (like May/June) or if it just happened suddenly in late July. He went to the beach with all of them including her on July 24, and that night he told me he was feeling “weird” about us. We were also having problems fighting a lot.

Is there a chance for me? I will do NC but it’s so hard for me to move on and not be so sad and heartbroken. I am definitely working on improving myself and in great shape again.

It’s been about 5 weeks since we officially broke up and they’ve been together a lot in this time, she’s sleeping over his house, he’s cooking for her, etc. It’s weird to see that infatuated look in his eyes with her when I saw them together.

Other thing is, he blocked me on communications except my work email, so I sent him an email about getting some things back, and he said he will discuss giving them back when he’s ready. He is also FURIOUS at me that I interacted with them but I told him I HAD to know the truth that he had left me for someone else.

He’s really angry at me for bothering him at all, and unfriended me Sunday on Facebook. During breakup I pulled all the wrong moves like begging, crying, showed up at his house upset. I did about 24 days of NC then found out he was with her and felt so betrayed because he told me never to worry about her.

So I will do another 30 day NC? Should I contact him with something light after that? I assume I will see him within the month for my belongings so that will be an issue.

Patricia

September 13, 2016 at 8:58 pm

He emailed:

“I could bring the things at some point this week. there is nothing else to be discussed .

i do not need anything that was left in your apt so toss it.

i could leave it at your door”

September 14, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Hi Patricia,
      You should do 45 days.. it’s ok to talk to him during nc about your things, but only make it about your things..

After nc, he has to think that you’ve moved on and just being friendly because if he thinks you’re trying to get him back, he will more likely protect his relationship and avoid you

September 14, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Hi Patricia,

jessica

September 7, 2016 at 9:55 pm

my ex boyfriend of 6 years and whom i have 3 children with one who he stepped in to become dad to and we own a house together cheated on me for a ‘week’ and then broke up with me for a co worker at the same place we both use to work at i moved on to a better position but he stayed.at the beginning of the break up he said the reasoning was that i was to controlling and to independent and told me he needed time to think so i went to my sister house for about 4 days while he stayed in our house but i had to come back and that when he completely moved out to his sisters house all the while he told to me to wait for him and that he doesn’t know how he feels anymore so i kind of went a little “crazy gf” and caught him t his work with this new girl and that how i found out its the same girl he told me i dont have to worry about and he use to make fun of the way she looks and he said its not all about looks cause i had brought that up to him and then he was talking to my friend and she was asking why he did this and he told her has she seen my body ill be able to find someone really fast he said we have nothing in common and that im anti social and never let him do anything (even tho he went to a baseball game with his friend a month ago and we took the kids to the beach) so after working with her for two months and having a connection with her for a week or so he moved in with her mother and he 6 month old baby by the way she left her boyfriend that had two children and then there child and had a house as well the same time he left me they both said they didn’t have any feelings for either one of us anymore and im not certain but i think she pursued him everyone at the work place was always trying to separate us the girls would be all over him and i would get jealous and he would just brush it off now everyone in his family has completely shut me out and hes and because im taking him to court for custody and child support he has been out partying and really going wild i was with him since i was 17 years old and he has cheated on me before but our relationship was so good we fought but it was the normal kind of fighting in a relationship we were so good together do you think he will stay with her or come back to me should i just give up i have tried doing the no contact but he just keeps contacting me and if i ignore him he gets angry saying hes going to show up at the front door and telling me to stop ignoring him should i let him have my children stay over night with him and her just so she realizes what shes getting herself into should i play it cool and get along with him and her does it sound like she will go back to her ex boyfriend that paid all the bills at her house and she didn’t pay for anything please help i need some opinions he never once told me anything was wrong so this came to a complete surprise i was suppose to go back to school so i quit my job and he said he was fine with it so i was left with a house that is in the middle of a remodel and i didnt have a job ( i do now) and i had to put my schooling on hold there is other details that im not including so if there are any questions that would help with opinions i will answer them

jessica

September 9, 2016 at 8:49 pm

i have started the complete no contact with him changed my number blocked him from facebook and everything till our court date which is in 45 days he doesn’t want much to do with the kids nowadays anyway i hope that makes him realize and start to miss me and what we had. with your experience does it sound like this relationship he has is a rebound that thy ran with lust and adrenaline or is it the real thing and does it sound like there is a chance of him coming back

September 10, 2016 at 3:52 pm

I think it’s a grass is greener case.. and yes, I do think there is still a chance.. you had 6 years and kids together.. even if he’s not that involved with thr kids now, he will still see them over the years of course.. your kids and your memories are your advantage

jessica

September 7, 2016 at 10:30 pm

oh and our youngest is 8 months old then we have a 4 year old and 7 year old he also just had me get my tubes tied a month ago because he didnt want no more kids

September 9, 2016 at 9:34 am

Hi Jessica,

It’s ok to keep talking about the kids but you need to be strong with him. How long will you let him control you whenever he gets angry? You have to have your own space to heal and improve.

jessica

September 7, 2016 at 10:03 pm

he also just told me that he doesn’t get into short term relationships because i wanted him to wait six months before his gf met our children and he said that is stupid which is true his other two relationship lasted about 2 years we had sex twice because i was being dumb and thought that it would make him stay and then a day before he made it facebook official he tried again begging me and said we have always had a good sex life so lets make this last time the best because im about to get into a relationship and i denied him and he was really mad

Lulu

September 5, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Hi there,

Love your site – will be a new favourite for me haha

So I met a guy overseas..we hit it off and decided to keep in touch. Surprisingly, we did and spoke pretty much daily. We were speaking with an end point being another meet up. I had friends in that country, so thought it would be good to also see him.

Everything was going well and we eventually met up again. We spent most days together and it was really comfortable and easy. He introduced me to some of his friends, and naturally, it became more romantic again. This definitely wasn’t one sided but I noticed he initiated the kissing and everything, most of the time..which made it seem like things were going well, and the attraction was mutual.

I was leaving the big questions (what do you want from this? Is this just a holiday romance?) until later on in the trip..because we were planning trips together for each day. It was surprising but then again, we got on so well, so I just went with it. But it was clear that he seemed to be considering something more..with key things such as wanting to be around me..introducing me and wanting me to be a part of his life over there – not just doing this all out of boredom.

Then the bombshell came. Whilst we’d been talking, he’d started seeing another girl…and was confused about which one of us to choose. He chose her. We never spoke in person about this but he dragged all of this on, to the point of still being romantic the day before he told me all of this. He said he liked us both but it’s just because she was ‘1st’.

I guess I just feel incredibly cheated because he could have told me about this before and we could have seen each other again as really good friends..but he let it snowball. I guess he was being genuine but now it’s awkward. We’ve decided to stay in contact but give each other space.
    I texted him once just to say no bad blood. He replied..I replied and I was ignored

Really sucks when I want to speak to him..but don’t really think anything will come of it…so not really sure what happens with NC rule now?

Sorry it’s so long winded!

Lulu

September 6, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Hi Amor,

He met me first but then I moved back to my home country. He started seeing her whilst we were speaking but never told me.
      I don’t know anything more about her but I’m guessing she’s nearby

Thanks for your reply!

September 7, 2016 at 7:57 am

You’re welcome! Just focus in nc now. Let him be and let him wonder. Be active in social media too.

September 6, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Hi lulu,
      did he mean he mey her first? Do they live near each other?

If you’re going to try nc, do it so that you can heal too.. just focus in it and then decide after if you still want to talk to her

Mary

September 2, 2016 at 3:57 am

Hi Chris/EBR Team,

My ex and I broke up less than three weeks ago. He left me for a mutual friend and told me he doesn’t love me anymore even though I feel like he still does, or at the least, is just very confused. We were together for almost two years, but really good friends for a while before we started dating. Things recently had caused minor conflicts with us, but overall I felt things were going well until he started acting weird two weeks before the break up. But, since he broke up with me, he hasn’t gotten together with this other girl (whom he hasn’t done anything sexually with). We have still been talking (briefly) and we both still want to be friends (well I want more). What do you think the chances of us getting back together are (from this very short description of our relationship)?

Also, we are in the same group of friends. If I was to follow the “no contact” rule, what happens if we are both at the same events? Or friends’ parties? Should I ignore him or just not attend?

Thanks in advance xx

September 2, 2016 at 3:53 pm

HI Mary,

Do you want to try what’s advised above? If you can avoid some of the events, do it. If you can’t, be civil but be distant. I think you should read this too: The Grass is Greener Syndrome For Ex Boyfriends

Kourtney

August 27, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Hi my name is kourtney and I’m 17 years old
    So here’s the story my ex broke up with me for another girl he started liking in a week while he was in China the thing is we were together for 10 months and you can say we had some puppy love considering we were each other’s first love there was no sex just a regular relationship we were really close and couldn’t stand being away from each other he told me he loved me and I told him I loved him we got into petty arguments but nothing serious but we actually cried together and made up a time so I thought his feelings were real he was the first guy to cry over me and it touched me we always talked and cared about each other no matter what I couldn’t stay mad at him when he left for his trip I missed him like crazy than he texted me out of the blue and said he wasn’t ready for this type of relationship and broke up with me few days later he’s going with another girl like I’m hurt and crushed I felt like he just threw me away like trash like nothing we had was real and that his feelings weren’t real at all his new girlfriend doesn’t want us talking,being friends he’s blocked me on social media,he won’t talk to me look at me or anything he’s like super all over this girl after a week.I honestly don’t know about this situation I still love him still care about him and still want him to be happy but hurts and I don’t know what to do?any help?

August 30, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Hi Kourtney,

are you trying out what Chris advised here?

sangeetha

August 23, 2016 at 4:42 pm

To give a brief description, I was dating a guy for two months and after two months he told me that his ex is back in his life. He started distancing himself from me and after two weeks of this, I told him that we should stop talking.

There were no fights and we both had a conversation about it.

It’s 15 days since I stopped talking to him and today when I was deleting the call log in my whatsapp, I accidentally called him.

I did cut the call immediately but I am not sure what should I do now.

Do you think I have screwed up my chances of getting him back?

August 27, 2016 at 2:20 pm

hi Sangeetha,

with just thay call? nope.. but are you actively improving yourself?

Morgan

June 30, 2016 at 7:10 am

Wait, wait, wait…
    The way I reduce the attractiveness of the new girlfriend is by talking to my ex? How does that go with the no contact rule?
    Here’s another problem: the reason my boyfriend gave me for leaving was not being around enough. I’m going to school and live an hour and a half away. She is unemployed, lives on friends” couches and has all the time I’m the world. How do I compete with that?

Also, he never chases women. Ever. He finds someone he likes and stays with her for years – as long as she can be around 24/7. I was there when his previous girlfriend left him (we’d been friends) and we ended up together. But now he has to stay with parents for a bit, and she is within walking distance, while I’m not.

Also, I was a bit harsh on him over something that really worried me that he couldn’t change right away. I didn’t handle it well, and I believe that was the real reason he “moved on.” I understand now what was wrong on my part, not just his. But how do I get him back?

He missed the girlfriend before me. But he never tried to see her or talk to her. He’s too proud. So even if he misses me, he won’t say or do anything about it. And the longer I wait, the more settled he gets with my replacement. She is extremely jealous–and he finds it adorable, but I don’t think he will for long. So what do I do? Go there and annoy her (without annoying him) or do the “no contact” and let him forget me completely? I appreciate any advice.

Morgan

July 2, 2016 at 10:17 am

Thank you for your response. I guess I should have clarified something–he _wants_ a woman that is around 24/7. He doesn’t like being alone, and he openly admits that. That’s why he is never single. He met the girlfriend before me at a party a few days after he broke up with the previous one, and stayed with her for 5 years. When he and I got together, he was having rough time and I was the only one who didn’t give up on him. Then he went away for 2 years and after he came back, he convinced me to give him another chance. I did, but I was back in school and couldn’t be around as much as he wanted me to.

And yes–I think part of why he likes about the new girl is that she _is_ a bum. Her being unemployed and basically homeless makes him feel better about his own life. He spends on her whatever money he has and is very protective of her. He didn’t do either with me. He seemed to think that getting student loans meant I could pay for everything. He helped me in many other ways, though. And he made me happy. He seemed to enjoy the time we spent together, too.

Then I found out he was seeing the other girl behind my back. I found out right away, they hadn’t been seeing each other for more than two weeks. I confronted him and we had a fight. Then he came to my apartment when I wasn’t there, took some of his stuff, and stopped responding to my calls or texts. And posted the picture of his new girlfriend on Facebook, like 2 days after he left me.

He never even said goodbye or explained anything, so I went a bit overboard with texting. After two weeks and about 400 very long messages I got him to respond–it’s possible if you know what to say. We even exchanged a couple of normal messages, where he told me he “moved on” because I wasn’t spending enough time with him. He said that since school was my priority over him, he’s gonna get out of the way so I could focus on school.

That was a load of bullsh*t. I drove 80 miles and back twice a week, just so we could spend time together. Would I do that if I didn’t care? Even if he really believes it, that wasn’t the real reason.

It wasn’t the school itself, it was me worrying about school. I worry too much about everything, and at the time, I was extremely stressed out because I was taking very hard classes, I’d failed a class before so I really needed to bring up my GPA, and a whole bunch of other stuff went wrong. Some of the things he was doing were worrying me too. And I wasn’t handling it the best way.

So maybe I wasn’t the perfect girlfriend. But I had stood by him when he was doing much worse. His new girlfriend knows absolutely nothing about him–the things he”d been through or why his other exes don’t talk to him. Maybe that”s another part that attracts him: he gets to play a whole new man, that takes care of his homeless girlfriend, who worships him in return.

He is doing everything he’d never done for me. Because she can be there whenever he wants her to be, and I can’t. Or because he gets to play a perfect boyfriend and a knight in a shiny armor. Or because she’s younger and prettier. Maybe all of it. Also, she doesn’t haveto worry about the things she doesn’t know about him, which makes it easier to be “positive.”

To be honest, I suspect she knows a lot more than she lets on–and that she doesn’t care because his family is rich, and she is a gold-digger. In that case, she’s playing an excellent game at being a poor innocent orphan Annie.

I accepted him the way he was, and never expected any material things. I may have given him hard time over his self-destructive habits–and I feel very bad about that now, because me harping on about it really didn’t make anything better. But at least I didn’t run away screaming, or abandon him when he wasn’t doing his best.

My school doesn’t take that much time anymore (that one bad semester was over soon after he left me). I am willing to change the way I handle things, to be more supportive and less critical. And not worry ao much about something going wrong. I can’t make myself as young as the new girlfriend, but I’ve lost weight and I’m improving a few other things. (I know looks matter–they matter to me!). Also, I’m more intelligent than she is, and I’m not a bum. Except the last thing could be a problem: I think he sees himself as a bum, because that’s how his family treats him. So she makes him feel good about himself by being a real bum–and needing him to take care of her.

I can understand that–guys like to be providers. But I don’t know what to do. I haven’t tried to reach him for a week, and I can continue the no contact. Only I don’t know if it’s gonna help with a guy who can’t be alone, gets angry when people leave him, and _wants_ to be chased by women.

It does not annoy him when a woman wants to be around all the time. He loves it–just like he loves being chased!

I’m serious. We’ve broken up before. I left him when he did something really bad, and that happened more than once. You know how I fixed it? By showing up at his house and not going away until he talked to me. It goes against everything they say about guys anywhere, including this site–but he took me back every time.

I didn’t beg. I apologized and explained that it was just a misunderstanding. One time, I had to ask his friends to get him to talk to me–which they did, and we got back together. It happened the other way around, too, when he talked me into giving him another chance. But I can’t do the same thing now, because she is always there.

In some ways, my ex is a very unusual guy. But that’s one of the reasons why I like him. If you think about it, having a boyfriend that _needs_ you to be around all the time is nice. But he might be more of a traditional guy than I realized if this girl could steal him using her “helpless maiden in distress” act and constantly telling him how wonderful he is–like every other day, in public status updates on Facebook.

Another problem is, this hit me a lot harder than I’d expected, and it’s only getting worse. I was better when it just happened, I couldn’t eat or sleep but I was getting things done. Now I just spend a lot of time crying–even when I try to do something fun, anything can remind me of him, and then the waterworks start.

I know I can’t be like that if I want him back. But I don’t know what to do. I’ve made so many mistakes that I drove him away. This girl is being a perfect girlfriend, she is younger, and she has no responsibilities (as she mooching of other people for living) so she can spend all the time with him–just like he wants. So do I even have a chance?

Thank you for your advice. Sorry this message is so long.

July 1, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Hi Morgan,

I think you have to change your mindset first. YOu’re not going to do no contact to make him forget you.. It’s for you to heal and improve.. It’s like you’re telling me that he loves bums..

would you like to be like that or continue to be successful?

Let’s say what he really likes is a girl who has a lot of time because his love language is quality time.. then that means he will eventually get tired of the other girl. I”m not sure when but no man likes a needy girl because she will be a responsibility instead of a partner.

If you have the right standards, don’t lower them..

If the real problem was the time, then that’s what you need to work on when you get back together. but right now, do active nc and improve yourself.

nina

June 5, 2016 at 2:46 pm

help 🙁
    my husband and i have been married for 2 years. we known each other for 6 years. we started out as friends, then friends with benifits. i wanted to move on and gave him the choice and then we started out as a couple.
    we live in another country and things with work and friends were not always easy for him, especially financially. he very often felt like he had no great success while i was always on the go. we has some issues but never so sever in my opinion. i suggest counceling but he never took advantage of it. last year he hooked up with a girl that fancied him for a long time. they had an emotional affair behind my back for 2 months. he left me then and went to visit his parents, we had NC for 5 weeks. he came back and felt bad. after 2 months he said he couldnt do it anymore he has to explore the feelings with the other girl and left to move into her house. that lastet around 7weeks, she didnt want him to have contact with me, his wife. he left her again and moved to a friends house. he got a job offer now in a different city and moved there. he broke of contact with the other girl but not all the way – social media they are still friends for example. he picked up some of his stuff before he left to move to the other city and spent the night there. i told him if we want to connect again, it can only work out if there isnt a third person in the picture. he is now in the other town, he wants to go to therapy. he says he needs to get back on his feet so he can make a desicion. we have NC now again… he cant decide if he wants to connect again and perhaps save the marraige or friendship of 6 years or if he wants to be with the other girl, romance of 3 months. i am starting to feel really stupid. i have to add, his mom is suffering sever depressions, and i am asking myself as throu his behaviour he might be too and thats why it lead for him to go crazy and is incapable of making a desicion after 6 months…
    thanks for your help!!!

June 15, 2016 at 5:05 am

Hi Nina,

I think you need to restart no-contact. Is it we need to prove yourself and have your own life so that he will have a clue on what to do on his own life too. So, that you can heal too and maybe have a restart with your relationship.

Help!

April 8, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Hey guys!
    I’ve been debating whether to ask about this for a while but it seems that new things occur every week and I just get even more confused
    so at the end of Feb (25th) my boyfriend of almost 2 years ended it with me over the phone citing his reasons as university mixed with his depression and my anxiety problems were causing him and me too much stress, he almost broke down in tears stressing that he just couldn’t have a girlfriend, I asked if there was someone else and if it was a specific girl whom I was uncomfortable with and he promised that wasn’t the case,
    Well to no surprise my gut instinct was right and they were official within 2 weeks of the break up, she was posting pictures with him while also wearing a jumper that I brought for him and used to wear around his house all of the time which is pretty off to me, and they were doing a lot of things together that me and him used to do, he said to some mutual friends that he was going to come and talk to me in person over the 2 week Easter break but that never happened, I found out that he went to her house, which is over 2 hours away, during the time they were of uni and ended up going back with her to uni a week early so they could spend time together,
    Again through mutual friends I have found out that she dumped him on Sunday (3rd of April) but he won’t tell anyone why and I’m guessing they are still friendly as she still has the jumper I mentioned and have been liking some posts from one another, I can’t do much research into this myself as he has blocked me on most forms of social media, minusing Facebook as I blocked him on that first, I just don’t really know what to do, I’m on day 26 from when we last had contact which wasn’t pleasant because I told him I knew about this new relationship and he got defensive straight away, I don’t know if I should wait to see if he contacts me or if I should initiate it myself, but even then I don’t know if my phone number has been blocked or if I’ll even get a response.
    Please help

P.S I don’t know if it’s worth mentioning that his last relationship before me resulted in her leaving him for someone, do you think that will play a part in this?

April 9, 2016 at 8:47 am

If he’s into her that means you can only be just friends if you try again.. and he has to see that you’ve moved on so he won’t think you’re chasing him

Emma

March 23, 2016 at 8:59 am

Hi, Chris and team! 🙂

I need help. I am sooo lost.

So let’s keep it short. My boyfriend, after 5 years of an amazing relationship (truly amazing, in any level and form), dumped me for the girl he met on his Master’s Degree, almost two months ago. We fought three times over this girl. She sent him texts like “you’re my angel”, “you’re my life”. He didn’t respond to those texts, but we fought any way. I found these texts on november. Then in december. He told she was “just a friend”. I told him she was after him, and that time would prove me right. I hate that Time really did prove me right. Anyway.

He broke up with me telling me we were fighting too much. And I asked him to come back with me, begging like a stupid girl. Shame on me. After three weeks of asking him to come back, like a crazy ex girlfriend, I found out that started dating this girl TWO weeks after breaking up with me. So of course, I assume he cheated on me, and he left me for her.

The thing is that after that, I went full NC for almost a month. Three weeks and a half. He hasn’t heard a word from me. I blocked him from all my accounts except from WhatsApp. But a week ago he unblocked me from everywhere. He wrote a tweet “I will always be there for you”.

So this monday I contacted him at night, by text.

“I hope you’re ok. I want to know if you could give me your bank account number so I can return the money I owe you”. He immediatly answered me, “Hi, Emma. There’s no need. There’s no debt”. I told him that I wanted to. I needed to give him his money back. I told him that he shouldn’t worry, I was not going to get in the middle of them. I told him that I was not going to get emotional, I just wanted something very specific. He insisted that I was being silly, I shouldn’t give his money back. So that’s when he started bringing our past.
    He told me: “Well then, I will give you back all the stuff you gave to me”. When we used to fought, he always told me that and I always told him to keep it. It was his stuff. So this time I answered “Ok. You can mail the things to me.” He was a little bit shocked, so he responded with a quote from our favorite character: “Stop horsing around. Stop being silly. Don’t talk to me like I’m a machine!” I told him that I was being polite, nothing else. That he should live his life.

Then he said “sock”. He meant a sock I left in his house. The other part of the pair I got it with me. But I mean it’s just A SOCK. Why he would mention A SOCK!?

He told me “Don’t worry about the money, just worry about being ok. You need to be ok. At least you can be ok.” I told him “No. I am ok. You don’t have to worry about me”. He said “Well, I’m worried all the time.” I said that the debt wouldn’t leave me alone, and he said “there’s a lot of things that don’t leave me at peace these days”. I told him “Look. Keep living your life with your new girlfriend, I will live mine. You chose this. You are like you wanted to be” He said to me “I am like I can be.” Not meaning who he is but how he is doing. Shouldn’t he be HAPPY to be with her and without me?!??!?!?!?

“Well, I have to go to sleep” I said “ok”. Nothing else. And ten minutes later he told me “And yes… I do wonder about you all the time”. I posted a song on my Twitter that says “And I hope sometimes you wonder about me”. So I responded with a cold “Stop stalking me”. He told me to have a good night.

That’s it. It was shorter than it looks. I was straight to the point, he was bringing our past back, and telling me he was feeling bad even if I didn’t answer.

I know I shouldn’t want him back. I’m going NC again. He hasn’t talked to me since that night. But I don’t know if he wants me to be ok because he feels guilty, or if he truly feels bad because he lost me. What should I do???? I’m so lost. I do want him back. But I don’t want pity or guilty.

What should I do? Do I have any chances??? THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING ME.

March 31, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Hi Emma,
      sorry for the late reply.. I think there is a chance.. it was just a bad first contact because it’s emotional.. try again after a week

1 2 3 4 5