365 thoughts on “EBR 024: Using Social Media To Get Your Ex Boyfriend Back”

Sylvia

April 20, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Hey Chris, Jennifer,

Im trying to limit doing this but I occasionally look at my ex’s and his current gf’s social media pages. She posts often, but only with him and never with her friends and no hobbies/activities. He doesnt post as often as her and always looks more reserved in the photos whilst she looks overly happy and into him more than he is into her. The usually leave lovey dovey emojis on each others pics. I know that ppl never post of negative moments and always want to give the impression everything is perfect. Regardless, seeing them post pics together does hurt to look at and makes me worry. I completely cut off contact with him 5 months ago (final text i expressed anger and that his current gf is creepy and controling, but didnt beg,gnat, chase- completely went full no contact after) but we are still in each others phone and social media. I havent done as much posting as i should but generally he likes/reacts on them when i do post.

1) should i take their photos with a grain of salt?

2)will working on my social media game and increasing my posting frequency trigger him to contact me or atleast make the lines of communication easier for me to initiate contact with him and build rapport?

3) Would he and I still have a chance at getting back together, even though we are long distance at the moment and he’s been with the current gf for a year now?

4) have you come across and seen successes with situations like mine- distance, long time without contact, has a current gf hes been dating for a while?

April 20, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Hey there Sylvia…that so annoying isn’t it! Lovey dovey emojis! Keep leaving him those breadcrumbs on Social Media…you want him taking notice. Please stop looking at his and her’s social media as no good comes from that. Focus on your social media threads and your own healing and focus to be the Ungettable Girl.

While long distance can make things challenging, if you have a game plan (like Ex Boyfriend Recovery Pro), you optimize your chances.
      I have had all kinds of success stories, but the key is getting your emotional health balanced and having your own goals for being the best version of yourself. I talk about this a great deal in all my ebooks, because no matter what happens, you have to be your own best friend and embrace the future knowing you have your own back. I know you can do this Sylvia

Kimo

February 18, 2018 at 6:33 am

Hey,
    I have been trying to do the limited contact as we are in same college.. but whenever I post pictures on social media to make him jealous and insecure.. he texts me asking where am I and with whom!

If I dont reply he gets a bit furious.. and if I reply saying I am with my friends which include boys he gets jealous.
    He says I am confused about us being together again because you are hanging out and drinking with boys which I dont like.

What do I actually do now?

February 20, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Nothing.. Restart nc and don’t reply.. You’re not together, you’re not obligated to reply to him.. His anger is his form of control so don’t reply even if he’s angry..

K

February 18, 2018 at 5:48 am

Hey,

What do I actually do now?

Kelsie

February 9, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Hey,

So I was never officially with this guy but we were close for a year. We met online but I wasn’t ready to meet as I didn’t think I was in a position to put my energies into a relationship. It was very intense and we both spoke of real feelings. We met a few months ago, he kind of freaked out because it became real and I picked up on his distance and tried communicating to ask why. He said he needed space and time but would keep contacting me and making plans to spend time together. He then said that he couldn’t give me what I wanted from him and since then we’ve been communicating less and less to the point where he blocked my number but not my social media. I don’t have him as a friend on instagram, Twitter or Facebook but I do on Snapchat.

I am working on myself and starting to feel a lot better but have been posting on snapchat and he is viewing my stories. It’s day 6 of no contact so still early days but am I right in assuming that him viewing my Snapchat story (which is public) is a good sign that he is misisng me or that I am on his mind?

February 15, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Hi Kelsie,

Yes, it’s a good sign but be active in Facebook or Instagram too.. just make your posts public because those posts stays. That means if he gets curious he has something to social media stalk on.. Sounds creepy but it helps in making him miss you more.

Diane Nguyen

January 8, 2018 at 1:13 pm

I met someone online but we never met be cause before the month we were suppose to meet he said goodbye to me. I went into no contact for over a month. I reached out casually via email and he responded casually back which I was not expecting. I replied back casually but he hasn’t said anything since by email and it’s been a week ish now. Our interaction by email was positive and short. I noticed on fb that he added a photo selfie of himself ( it’s not a new photo since I saw it before but still he added it to fb recently). I’m not sure what that action means. This photo is pretty much just a regular selfie by himself. I really don’t know if he’s seeing or dating or talking to someone new which may prompt him to add that photo or is he trying to catch my attention? He still has not responded to my email but instead he posts up a selfie of himself on fb a week later. What’s the meaning of This? I’m still his friend on fb ever since he said bye to me he hasn’t deleted me.

January 10, 2018 at 12:26 am

Hi Diane,

That’s probably not related to you.. if you’re going to build rapport, you need to initiate more.. how much did you improve yourself and how active were you in posting?

Jenney

January 3, 2018 at 9:49 pm

Hi… Thank you SO much for your podcast.
    My situation is sorta strange. I have been going out with my boyfriend for a year and a half. We live 2 hours from one another and he works A LOT of hours. He drives a delivery semi and is home every night, but he works very long days and is in and out of the weather all day. I know he’s tired. But, about 6-8 weeks ago, he stopped communicating. We have never really had a fight, maybe one little spat, where I sorta lost my cool. But I had been feeling neglected in general. That is when I started getting clingy and crying when I couldn’t see him. I am too old for this, but I fell deeply in love and it’s been very hard for me. I’ve been divorced for many years and this is the first man I’ve seriously dated in ages. We had such a good time together. We’ve met each other’s families and even briefly talked about moving in together.
    But….all that came to a halt a few weeks ago when he jsut stopped communicating with me. Then he finally told me he isn’t mad at me and has ghosts to straighten out before he is good for anyone. Well, I got thru the holidays. And I found your website. My 30 days are almost up — with the exception sending him a small package at christmas which he thanked me for…and me telling him a simply Happy New Year….which he responded to….i haven’t spoken to him or left any messages, phonecalls or texts. I haven’t liked ANY of his posts. He has begun to like posts on my facebook again and I have been planning on what i will write when i can text him again.
    but….it’s so strange. we never fought….and we never officially broke up… what gives?

January 5, 2018 at 9:39 pm

Hi Jenney,

if you haven’t initiated yet, it’s better to extend nc.. if you have, how did it go?

Denise

December 25, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Was in a brief but intense relationship about a year and half ago that ended abruptly and ugly after he acted like a complete jerk, but the feelings never went away. A few days ago I gave in and looked at his profile pic. He changed it about a year ago to one of himself from a trip we went on (I’m not in the pic)….the pic is still the same a year later. This is a guy who changed his pic at least 4 times while I was with him in 3 months. I feel like it means something. Not sure what to do, I did the dumping (it was well-deserved). Advice?

December 27, 2017 at 9:54 pm

Hi Denise,

If you want to see, talk to him and observe over time if he really has changed

Rose

December 21, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Hello,

I think my case is just over and honestly, I gave up on it a long time ago after no contact of almost two years. I just decided to stop thinking about my ex and move on. Although, I’m not entirely over him yet. The other day, I got a message from his best friend. I have met his best friend before and he and his girlfriend are engaged. So, I am a bit confused as to why his best friend is messaging me through Facebook and wondering how I’m doing, etc. At first, I thought maybe my ex has sent his best friend to see what I’m up to, but now I seem to look at it as a funny coincidence. If my ex wanted to see what I was up to, then most likely he would directly ask. I wanted to ask his best friend how my ex is doing or if he still talks to him, but I’m not sure if that looks like I’m desperate.
    Should I take this as a sign that my ex is gaining some interest in me again? Or detach all emotions from this and assume that his friend is just being friendly?

December 25, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Hi Rose,

Don’t assume and let it go.. The friend might have a lot of reasons you didn’t even think of.. for moving on, check this one:
      How To Get Over An Ex Boyfriend When You’re Still In Love With Him

Lexi

November 22, 2017 at 2:14 am

My boyfriend and I are high school sweethearts. I was horrible to him in high school, years later we start dated and it’s been almost a year. In the beginning we wanted to move in and get married and move quickly, eventually we started breaking up and making up and arguing. Eventually, recently he said he was done and obviously I cried and told him we can make this work. He said we will see and that night I stayed at his house. The next day he buys me an early christmas present, however all night and all morning he is extremely cold and distant and when I try to be affectionate he literally said don’t touch me. He said we are just going to make up and fight again in 5 days and that this won’t last. The next day, I give him space. Obviously I proceed to stalk his Instagram only to find he changed his password. I called him (after a day and a half of space ) trying to invite him to dinner when he returns from his trip. He said we will see because I’m tired and I said I love you in the phone and he didn’t say it back. At this point I think he is ghosting me into breakup by default. What do I do ?

November 24, 2017 at 3:32 am

Kay

November 10, 2017 at 8:01 pm

I have been talking to this guy I have known casually through out the years. There has always been attraction between us but I was married and he was in a relationship. I have been married and I’m in the later stages of divorce from a mean man. He has been out of his reaction ship since June. He is currently going through some legally issues from where he had gotten into some trouble and he is fighting for custody of his children. His legal time has told him to “lay low and don’t do anything not even have a girlfriend.” He reached out to me back in October and we hit it off immediately, when even seen each other twice. The second time I saw him he was acting different but I just blew it off he told me what he legal team had said and he told me we have to be careful. But after that night we just kept our conversations through text only. Where he would talk to me all the time and initiate conversations I found that happening less and less and i was doing it. Last Friday I just felt like I need to know and I asked him if he knew what his lawyers had said when he reached out to me. He was offended and really upset with me over it. He said he didn’t meet his lawyer until the same week when we saw each other last and he told me what they said. He always told me he was sorry for bothering me and for upsetting me. He hasn’t spoke to me since. Of course I did the begging thing a couple time over the two days asking him to not be upset with me with the last message going out Sunday evening (it was a total of 4 messages). I have not reach out to him or anything starting on Monday. I haven’t heard a word from him. I really like him and I want to be there for him. We had great chemistry and we made each other laugh. How can I get him back?

November 13, 2017 at 12:48 am

Hi Kay,

you do realize why he’s being distant right?

Tran

November 4, 2017 at 12:15 pm

I broke up with my ex-boyfriend again over 3 months ago. We were in a long distance relationship full year. We are still friends on Facebook. Since the breakup happened, I put my time and my energy into my work and hang out a lot with my friends. I have been feeling good about myself. When I read this article I found the way I feel happy again. I’m active on FB and posted a lot of beautiful photos on it.

You know, last week was my birthday, when I checked my FB page (I turn off all chat mode). However, I saw my ex-boyfriend got into the FB that day but he hasn’t sent me a congratulatory on my birthday. I’m curious about this, can you explain for me.

November 5, 2017 at 6:26 am

Hi Tran,

To be honest, you’re not together anymore.. he’s not obligated to greet you and you’re not friends too..Yes, you are friends in Facebook, but not in real life. Belated happy birthday!

Jane

November 2, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Hello, so my ex and I have had no contact for 7 months now and the last time we spoke it ended badly he ended up telling a mutual friend some rude things about me and saying he didnt want to talk to me for awhile. I blocked my ex on everything except on my phone and my one instagram page since its private. But a month ago he requested me on instagram. He hasnt spoken to me or anything just this request. I didnt ignore or accept the request. I just left it there. I do miss him but I also dont want to seem desperate. What does the request mean? Why hasn’t he said anything? What do you think I should do?

November 4, 2017 at 12:35 am

Hi Jane

it’s too little of an act to assume anything but it’s safe to say that if you accept it, you can at least start from there if you want to rebuild rapport.

Jennifer Tran

October 1, 2017 at 8:46 pm

I made the mistake of unfriending my boyfriend on facebook and unfollowing him on instagram. What should I do?

October 2, 2017 at 7:41 pm

He Jennifer,

Make your posts public

Giselle

September 25, 2017 at 10:32 pm

We broke up 2 days ago. We did love each other a lot and has a very special bond. He chased me for a long time until we finally started dating 4 months ago. We had a few fights here and there and I noticed him pulling away a little. We stopped seeing each other in person, he stopped doing all the little things he did at the beginning. However, I wanna stress that he was REALLY happy to have me in his life. He always said things like “I thank God for you everyday” and “you’re so special” and “you’re the best girl I’ve ever met”. We had a physical as well as emotional connection and we had a friendship underneath it all. He would always bring up marriage and said “I’ll marry you” and “I’ll put a ring on it soon”. Then, I suggested to take yet another break and I know he HATES when I do that, so he always gets defensive, so from one day to the next, he completely changed his tune and told me he’s getting married to a stranger because he felt it was right. We had a fight one night and I was the first to contact him and may have looked needy as I was the first to contact him after 2 weeks? Maybe this put him off a little as he was always putting me on a pedestal and had been the one to chase as I was the “ungettable girl” for him. It’s very strange though that he said he loves me but will get married to her. Is he being honest it is it just a response to my break suggestion? I asked him to stay, but he left anyway. Now, in the past we have been in and out of each other’s lives. We broke up one time before and he came back after 6 months, but I broke up with him last time. This time he ended it, so not sure what he’s thinking. Is it normal behaviour to be marrying someone he doesn’t love? When literally two nights ago he was telling me how much he loves being in love with me?! Since 3 weeks he hasn’t seen me in person OR any pictures, so maybe changing my display picture or something can be useful as he’s very attracted to me physically? He has a tendency to lie sometimes, so do you think he is really getting married or just wants to leave? Please answer all of these questions as I could not be any more confused!!

September 28, 2017 at 8:52 pm

HI Giselle,
      being active in social media during and after nc means being active in posting, not just changing a profile pic.. if he’s constant lier, then he probably just lied about that.

Giselle

September 25, 2017 at 4:28 am

My question is about the guy who I have known for 2 years. We got romantically involved 4 months ago. I was always the “ungettable girl” to him, until he smooth talked my pants off and I became gettable to him. Maybe that made him lose respect? In short words, we love each other and have a very special bond. It’s almost like we’re kindred spirits. He always stresses that no matter what happens he will never ever forget me and that I’m “so special to him” and how I have put a spell on him etc. This guy is not a player and is very genuine. I can tell has feelings for me were declining gradually though as now we would see each other once every two weeks. Recently, we had a fight and he hung up the phone after we both said things we don’t mean. He loves me more than I love him and he always says that he’s aware of that. For the first time ever, I called him first after 2 weeks to resolve the “fight”. When he picked up he was a little distant and aloof, but still talking about marriage like he normally would. In my heart I feel like I was acting “too available”, which may have repelled him a little. He always loved chasing me. He always says that he will marry me. He was very ready for marriage anyway. Things haven’t quite been the same after I called him after the fight. He came across as less interested and more and more aloof. At this point I hadn’t seen him for 3 weeks. All this communication was done through phone calls. Until two nights ago we had another small difference of opinion and I said to him “This isn’t going anywhere”, but I didn’t mean it at all. He must have taken that to heart, even though a day after that he was telling me how much he loved me and how he “thanks God for me everyday and prays for me” and how “he loves being in love”. Then, on Saturday night he wanted to hang out but I was already out with my friend. He has major trust issues and thought I was cheating on him. THEN, on Sunday I texted him to talk to him and called him too many times to ask if he wanted to hang out today instead, but he just replied with a text saying “I’m busy right now”. Then, I told him I’m leaving for 2 months. In our “relationship”, I always initiate taking breaks from each other and he HATES this and gets defensive about it. I did the same on Sunday and said I’m leaving for 2 months anyway, to which he replied that he’s getting engaged to a girl he feels will be a good wife. He said he loves me but will marry her as it feels right. I sort of started begging him to stay with me (very unlike me), but he left anyway. Told me how much he will miss me etc, but still left. Now my question is: Is this normal behaviour? How can someone go from saying things like “I thank God for you everyday” and “I’ll marry you soon”, to wanting to marry someone he doesn’t know?!? Two nights ago he said he “loves being in love”, but he isn’t in love with the other girl he told me. He does have a tendency to lie here and there, so is he just saying that because I initiated yet ANOTHER break? Also, he’s very physically and emotionally attracted/attached to me as well, so should I use pictures as a way to get him back because he hasn’t seen my face either in real life or a picture for 3 weeks, so maybe social media (such as changing my display picture) will be effective? or do you think there’s no point as he’s getting “engaged” to a stranger..? But I feel like he’s lying cause he was acting jealous and all the things he normally says..

September 28, 2017 at 8:24 pm

HI Giselle,

Joy

August 3, 2017 at 4:57 pm

My boyfriend of a year was acting strange one day, so I forced him to tell me what was wrong. Keep in mind that he really did not want to say anything at this time. We got into a major discussion about how he didn’t know how he felt anymore, wasn’t sure if he wanted to be with me, said it was okay when we together but annoying apart, and that he loved me but not in the way he used to. I went through all the stages during that discussion. I begged, bargained, said optimistically that we could get through this, cried, tried to get pity, and ended the conversation angry. During this conversation he said he wasn’t trying to break up with me, yet, but just didn’t know what he wanted. Later I texted him and said that I was sorry for the things I said, I was just hurting and ended the text with saying I hope that we can work this out. The next day I started no contact. It’s been 18 days since then and nothing. The first day of no contact, he liked my Facebook post about something fun I was doing. He’s not on Facebook or any social media very much and when he is he rarely likes anything. Last week he started to like my Instagram posts, which is really weird because he hasn’t been on Instagram in 6 months or so. I’ve been avoiding stalking him on anything but yesterday I caved and looked at his Facebook. I noticed that the day before he liked my instagram, he shared the results of a quiz predicting his wedding date, which said it was in five months. This is really really out of character for him because although he sometimes takes those quizzes, he never shares them on Facebook. It’s just really weird to me, trying to figure out why he would decide to share that particular result. The next time I posted an Instagram was to test him. He liked it only an hour after I posted, plus he liked the same post on Facebook. Now I’m wondering what my next step should be. I know I’ll continue with no contact, but should I keep posting fun, happy Instagram pictures? Or should I stop posting any social media and make him wonder what happened? I feel like he might have been trying to get my attention in the safest way… We had an amazing relationship and were super understanding each other, but then my anxiety disorder started to get really bad. I was in an abusive marriage in the past, so I have major anxiety. We talked about marriage a lot, he was always the one to bring it up. Please help!!

Joy

August 4, 2017 at 9:36 pm

He didn’t like my last two posts. Should I be worried at all? I know I should probably stop obsessing, but it’s really hard. I was a little hopeful when he started liking my posts after 2 weeks of no contact, but now he seemed to stop. I just really hope I still have a chance to get him back.

August 6, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Nope..focus in yourself

August 3, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Hi Joy,

Yeo, you should be actively improving yourself and actively posting..so, yes, continue

emily

August 2, 2017 at 8:14 pm

my ex and i split after 7 years together a few weeks ago. i ended things because the past two months he’s been distant and saying he isn’t happy with me. he called me last week to check up on me and i kept it very brief. he’s not active on social media at all except to change his status to single. i have been nc for the past 3 weeks with minimal contact to get my things (we lived together). how do i use social media to make him jealous when he isn’t active on social media and we aren’t friends?

August 5, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Have you exchanged all items ny now?

sarah

July 31, 2017 at 1:41 am

Hi there,

I have a question…. what if we are both not very active on social media? My ex only has a FB account and he’s rarely on it.. I mean, he still has a picture of us as his profile picture and we broke up 3 weeks ago. And I’m not very active on FB either.. I never like/share any posts and i change my picture maybe once a year. so if i started posting a lot, wouldn’t that be odd or obvious that i was trying to get his attention? which i dont even think he would notice because he doesnt go on it that often.

sarah

August 12, 2017 at 6:15 am

So an update:
      Previously I stated that my ex does not use FB often, he changed his profile pic a while ago and it is no longer of us. I was sad, but he did that the first time we broke up (9 months ago). Today, I found out that he deleted ALL the pictures of us on his FB. This is very unlike him because 1) he did not do that the first time we broke up 2) he doesn’t use FB that often let alone looks at his own page.. 3) when he broke up with his previous gf (they dated for a year), he did not delete or untag himself in anything…

We dated for 2 years 3 months, and he made me feel like I was truly special. He told me things like he has never loved anyone as much as me, for the first time he had found a life partner, I was the love of his life etc etc. I’m the only girl that has met his parents/family, hung out with his close friends, met his coworkers + invited to xmas work dinners..

When we broke this time around, he said that we won’t get back together until we’re both at different points in our lives. We would fight about how he doesnt have that much free time for me because he would prioritize work, and so when he said that, it made sense because right now I dont understand the pressures of working full time/building a career because im still in school. But am i suppose to move on but not really move on??
      With the whole FB thing and now this, I’m just doubting how he felt about me, and what he meant by “not immediately get back together” … Is he keeping me around, while he moves on and looks for other girls (and deleting traces of me off FB would make this easier)

sarah

August 5, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Hi its me again….

So recently i found out that he remade his instagram… Ok backstory: we broke up once before, and during that time he made a new instagram and he followed all his friends AND my friends (weird) and i didnt find out until a couple weeks after… and he didnt follow me, which is expected. he didnt post anything either so it wasnt very interesting, he probably made it because he was bored. ANYWAY, so we got back together, and everything was good but then he deleted it again a few months after. ok fast forward to now…

we’re broken up, im on day 14 of NC… and i noticed that he remade another instagram account very recently. This time he’s only following one architectural account (he’s moving in a month, so maybe for inspo?), and has no followers/no posts. Im thinking he wanted to keep it a secret or something. the only reason why i know of this new account is because he looked at my instagram story last week, and yesterday, and the day before that. I dont think he knows that i can see him looking at my stories (because he’s not very into social media, like i said above).

What does this mean?? Do you think he’s checking up on me? Is this a good sign? …I’m worried that he won’t reach out to me since this is our second breakup (we were together for 2+ years) We ended on good terms, and he said that he wants to be friends and we can still hang out and talk but he hasn’t reached out to me at all.. (even if he does, i wont respond because of NC but im still curious as to why he’s silent) Thoughts?

Thanks amor!!

August 7, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Yuo, that’s a good sign..it looks like he made it to check your posts

July 31, 2017 at 4:14 pm

It depends on what your posts are.. If it’s normal post like your activities, thats5 ok..but if its like captioned im moving on or not regretting..then that’s so obvious

Ramiza

July 25, 2017 at 11:53 am

Can I change my status to single during no contact period? I am angry over my ex for saying lame reason to me and flirting with other girls. Please do reply me soon… Shall I go and shout at him my pain and start no contact rule?

July 25, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Nope.. don’t do anything out of anger.You’ll regret those..focus in improving yourself

May

July 4, 2017 at 7:34 am

Hey, my ex and I had some problems which lead for a breakup.. it was breakup initially but i literally begged him to stay.. he contacted me a day after that and told me it’s a break… i told him okay whatever it’s a break but i can’t be your friend.. it’s either all or nothing.. he said but if we breakup i care about you!! i wanna know everything you’re doing!! ( which hurts cuz it shows he could break up with me after the break ).. anyway he told me block me off of your snapchat story ( he could still talk to me but not see my story ) i said okay you too.. today he’s posting a snap ( which means he didn’t block me of the story ) should I let him see my snaps or should I really block him and keep him wondering?

I really want him back though! plz help

July 5, 2017 at 4:53 pm

You should..and you should post in sites where the posts doesn’t disappear like Facebooj

1 2 3 4 5 9