365 thoughts on “EBR 024: Using Social Media To Get Your Ex Boyfriend Back”

Carly

April 17, 2020 at 5:28 am

Hi EBR Team,

I have broke up with my boyfriend after a 5 month relationship with him. In the beginning of the relationship everything was awesome. He always wanted attention from me, we had a blast together until our honey moon stage died and he started to distance himself away from me. We started to only hang out with friends and our conversations became like a routine. As I confronted him, he told me if we lost sparks that we could be great friends because he loves me too much not to let me go. As the quarantine came, he lost his job and he turned to gaming. I tried to give him space and only talk to him in the morning or before I sleep. As I tried to reach out to him to spend sometime together, he felt annoyed. Then we got into an argument and I felt we distanced so much that maybe being friends is a better idea. I had indirectly broken up with him and he just agreed to be friends.

I did not know about the No Contact Rule so I contacted him 5 days after we broke up to ask him back. Of course, he told me no because he was still angry. I read all the other articles here after (sadly) , and I feed him all 3 expectations he had of me. So I didn’t contact him again to do another No Contact Rule but he started using social media in a way he didn’t before. He would post an IG and FB story with words that seems like it’s targeted to me or his situation which he never had before in our 5 month relationship. He always only posted food, which he still did after the break-up.

I felt that I had made his quarantine worse so I didn’t post anything on my social media because I am scared he will be hurt, seeing posts about me. However, is this the right approach? Should I post like I regularly do during the No Contact period?

I don’t want to make another mistake and EBR articles has been making a lot of sense to me but I broke my first No Contact situation, so I am uncertain what to do except focus on myself during second try and period.

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

April 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm

Hi Carly, I would suggest that you post positive things to your social media as this is a window into how you are feeling and doing in your life with out your ex and you need him to think you are doing better than he is. Yes complete a NC for 30 days still, but make sure your social media remains somewhat the same as usual giving that you do not post a lot of selfies etc. Then reach out to your ex after 30 days with a text that Chris suggests

Zelka

April 13, 2020 at 11:09 pm

If your ex sends you snapchats directly during NC should you open them?

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

April 14, 2020 at 8:33 am

Hi Zelka, I would leave them while in NC if you can

Amy

March 28, 2020 at 3:12 pm

Hi there,

I deliberately did not unfriend my ex boyfriend. This is because we always promised to be respectful, kind and understanding of one another. He broke up with me because he claimed to be going through some things and ‘wasn’t ready’ for anything right now. I did not beg or put up a fight, i just wished him well and left him to it.

Before me and my ex got together, and during our relationship, he was my number 1 fan on instagram. It was actually through the liking and commenting that I realised he liked me.
    So when we broke up, and neither of us removed each other, it was hard to not notice that he stopped liking ANY of my posts.
    Whilst its understandable that exes do not like each others post, I cant help but think at the same time, if we are civil, why doesn’t he like my posts? if we are civil is it such a big deal? I get that he wont like ALLL of my posts, but even just simple scenery ones? It sounds silly, but it is very noticeable that he does not like anything of mine anymore when he used to be a serial liker of my things.

However… that being said. I did carry out a test one day. I posted a movie quote about missing someone. It was a happy-ish but also sad-ish quote. But my scape goat on my caption was that I liked the movie – thats all.
    He liked this quote straight away – I was shocked. I did not message him though, nor did he with me.

We’ve been broken up about 3 months, and ive noticed his social media activity has declined further and further.

I am almost convinced that I have portrayed myself as moving on ”too” well. Like although I have posted the odd quote here and there, I have genuinely carried on with my life and posted as normal. Me with my friends, scenic trips away, and I have been nothing but myself really.
    I almost get the sense that hes kind of mad that I haven’t shown any sadness.

BUT…. that being said. Ive got no idea.

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

March 30, 2020 at 11:04 pm

Hi Amy it sounds like you worked the Holy Trinity well, but we do also suggest that you try to reach out to your ex after 30 days of No Contact, so I would suggest that you start looking at the texting information that Chris has produced to help you break the ice with your ex, remember the most important thing is that you end the conversation first.

Kiki

March 16, 2020 at 4:05 am

So he was originally posting things right after I’d post making me think he was watching my profile so I didn’t like any of his posts since I’m trying no contact. Even though he watched my Snapchat stories he doesn’t “like” my Instagram posts… do you think this is a bad sign or simply that he didn’t like mine because I’m not giving in and liking his??

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

March 17, 2020 at 11:02 pm

Hi Kiki I would say that he is watching what you are doing, keep to your No Contact and make sure you do not watch what he is doing on social media!

Sierra

March 3, 2020 at 6:26 pm

Hello, your website has been really helpful for the past couple days to me. My boyfriend of 3 years broke up with me not even a week ago and it was very sudden. We have been fighting more than normal lately but things like this have happened before and we usually get out of the rough patch soon after it starts. His reasoning wa s because of the fighting (my clingyness played a part). Since the day we broke up (approximately 4 days ago) I posted a story showing me drinking margaritas with friends on my snapchat and he watched it immediately. We did not delete each other off of social media but he did end up deleting or archiving most the pictures of us off his Instagram (besides pictures that included us and his friends). He ended up posting a picture of him and his friends within 30 minutes of him seeing my Snapchat story…. a picture that I took of them about a month back. I haven’t liked it because I’ve been trying to give him space but I could use any advice on how to go about what’s going on on social media now and how to get him back because I know in my heart that it wasn’t our time to just give up on 3 whole years. Thank you for your time!

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

March 7, 2020 at 8:00 pm

Hi Sierra, so the social media he is just mirroring you which shows that he is watching you, just dont focus on that as its not going to help you through the process. To get him him back you need to complete No Contact and work on yourself so when you reach out you’re happier and more confident version of yourself now.

Kylie

February 20, 2020 at 8:03 am

Hi, i was in a no contact rule for like 2 weeks. During those times, he always post sad songs about relationship. When I posted something that I went on a hike (it was just me on the pictures I did not include my friend no one knows who i was with) he posted on twitter “If I could go back I’ll do it all over with you again” after few days he deactivated his FB account. I checked his twitter and saw bunch of tweets about him being sad. So I messaged him. “I saw your tweets. How are you?” He didnt reply but after that, he started posting positive posts and reactivated his FB account. I dont know whats going on with his mind. Help!

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

February 20, 2020 at 10:47 pm

Hi Kylie so you now have to re start your no contact and the reason he was doing that was showing how he was struggling with the break up and he now knows you are watching his posts he is going to make out like he is fine. At the end of 30 days no contact you need to reach out but with a text that Chris suggests not a “How are you?” Text

Meli

January 13, 2020 at 4:59 am

Hi, I broke up with my bf 2 months ago, we hv been together for 1,6 years. I love salsa & bachata dancing (not a professional dancer, just for hobby) before we were together. He doesn’t like me dancing with another guy so I stop dancing (salsa & bachata are a couple dance, involving close body contact).
    Now that we aren’t together anymore, I go back to my old hobby, dancing.
    Last night, I danced with a guy and had video of us dancing together. Now Im thinking to post it in IG, is that okay? I mean, I want my ex back, will that hurt the chance for me getting him back?
    I mean, I remember you mentioned that we have to show them that we are living our lives happily by doing our hobby, hang out with friends, travelling, etc.
    Now I go back doing my old hobby but this hobby is a couple dance.. I had fun when dancing, but I also want him back.
    Can I post that video or not?
    I don’t want to be seem like I was hooking up or something like that. It’s purely just dance.

*You can check what kind of Bachata dance is about in Youtube, to give you a better understanding, if you don’t know.
    Thank you.

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

January 18, 2020 at 4:19 am

Hey Meli, so yes you can post this! and honestly you shouldnt have stopped your hobby for him either, it is not something that would be classed as cheating so dont stop if you do get your ex back, if anything its a little worry for him that you are close to anther man.

KD

December 22, 2019 at 7:52 am

Hello coach
    My ex dumped me for someone else on 3rd December 2019.The reason was that he got feelings for his girl bestfriend. I knew that they were best friends but I got insecure as it looked like it’s more than friendship. I told him twice or thrice that I feel insecure. The girl bestfriend had feelings for him and she had confessed them to him but he didn’t tell me (I found that out).He told me he rejected her as he liked me .
    He was happy with me he said to me that he loved me lot , we were having a great time but then he did this. He prioritised her most of the times over me. They are dating now .We are classmates unfortunately I have to see them everyday. He looks happy with her they both are always together .He doesn’t seem to miss me
    He doesn’t text first. He’s lowkey on social media. He doesn’t show what he feels.
    How do I make him reach out and chase me?
    I really love him and I’m ready to forget the past.I’m in no contact period since 3rd December.
    Please help .

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

December 22, 2019 at 5:59 pm

Hi KD, You’re doing well sticking with no contact make sure you do not reach out until after the new year is over and keep the conversation short friendly and make sure you are the one who ends it.

Kylie

November 19, 2019 at 3:29 pm

He broke up with me…again. I didnt text him like crazy this time. I just accepted it. The last time he completely deleted me off social media and blocked me. This time he left me on. I have been posting normal as usual. He views them right away. Now hes been posting which he never does but I muted his story and I haven’t looked once. I posted a picture of my brother and I eating dinner and I guess he didnt recognize him but messaged me and said, on a date?!!!!! And I waited an hour or so to reply and said, yeah…..with my brother. And he said, oh. I never replied. Question is this, do I view his stories? Or how does that work

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

November 19, 2019 at 10:16 pm

If you are doing No Contact then you should not have replied to his message, and no you do not view his stories if you’re in NC and when you are in the texting phase you also need to limit the amount of times you view his stories

Kylie

November 19, 2019 at 2:37 am

What about watching his stories on snapchat? Hes never posted till now. I havent looked at a single one. But hes watching mine every time. So do we watch theirs? He broke up with me. He kept me on everything and I did post a picture of my brother and I out eating but I guess he didnt recognize him because he messaged me a week after NC and seen that photo and said, on a date?!!!!! And I waited an hour and replied, that’s my brother. He replied and said, oh. I never responded.

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

November 19, 2019 at 8:10 pm

Hi Kylie do not watch his stories until you have completed a No Contact

mimi

November 18, 2019 at 9:38 pm

i started the no contact about two weeks ago and when I started I unfriended my ex boyfriend on Facebook and I stopped following him on Instagram but he still follows me so I’m using my stories to post me having fun with my friends and so but for about 2 or 3 days now he has stopped checking my Instagram stories does that mean that he’s jealous or upset with me that he doesn’t want me to know that he sees my stories??

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

November 18, 2019 at 10:56 pm

Hi Mimi, dont over think his actions at this time you should be focusing on yourself and how you can alter your life so that you become the Ungettabel girl, even though hes stopped viewing stories does not mean he isnt checking in on you so keep it up

Rachel Morris

September 11, 2019 at 9:33 am

Hello,
    I moved to London in 2017 for school. Came home to see my boyfriend all the time. Loved him, but it was tricky sometimes. We went on a break in January not because of a lack of love but because of the distance. We put so much on being the happiest couple when we saw each other instead of just being normal. Break was for 3 months but we still spoke and went on dates. Then I split up with him in the 2nd week of April because I got scared as I didn’t know whether I could come home and I thought he wanted a certain life. Flash forward to the end of may / start of June I realised that I can move home and I love him too much. We speak, I inform him and hes abit reluctant but happy and talks to me for an hour almost every day on the phone. He then feels that I only want him back because of being unhappy. I find out he slept with someone at the end of April and I then lie saying I’m devod to be moving home. And that I was happy he was moving on. Then he was just really confused and said he didn’t know what he wanted and only after I went on my girls holiday did he tell me he’d met someone else. He was unsure of what to do for 2 weeks. So i asked him to give me one date because it’s easy to say no to something if you arent seeing that person only via text. He cancelled the date with me because he said he felt guilty. I wrote him a letter and turned up at his house. I basically did everything I shouldn’t of a begged. He said nope I’m sorry but I need a new life, right now I feel I need to give this girl a chance. He met her on tinder and it was the first girl hed been on a date with. Said he was happy with his decision and hed thought about everything. He said we’d be good for a few months but then we’d go back to how it was. (hes built up in his head that we were bad because I obvs hurt him alot) He told me it killed him in april too but ill be fine in time. We saw each other at a christening and I asked him why and he proceded to tell me that he wanted a new life, but also said ‘she makes me happier in 4 weeks than I was in 5 years, If shes making me want to choose her in such a little amount of time then I mustn’t have ever been happy with you, You’re amazing don’t beg. I hope you find someone who makes you feel the way she makes me feel’ He said she’s nothing like me, she quiet and innocent and has her own house and business. He’s never been able to tell me that he doesn’t love me but says ‘ill always care about you’… says he doesn’t want to hurt me. So he met her at the start of June and made her his gf in the middle of July. He’s weaned off speaking to me and doesn’t after a few texts or open the conversations. I didn’t message him for 3 weeks, not even a flinch. He watches all of my stories though. And because we live in a small town and his family still see me and we go out and his friends have become my friends I go out when hes not around. Whenever I do this, he posts a picture with her or of her dog the next day on his social media to which he NEVER posts. This weekend I went to support his best friend at a boxing match, he didn’t go. That night I posted a few stories. The next day I realised he had deleted our pictures that were still on his Instagram & posted a photo of her dog on snapchat and then took her to meet our friends for the first time. He’s changed and started to do things that I know he hated. Was he angry? Why else delete some of the recent photos of us but not older ones on insta? We were together for almost 6 years. And then because we had a house, the couch payments come from my bank so he has to pay me monthly for it. He ‘forgot’ after never forgetting for 2 years and so i broke contact after this weekend yesterday… I sent a simple “Heyhey hope you’re doing good? Didn’t know how to ask, but could you please send last months couch money over? It’s not like you to ever forget, so if you need time just let me know 🙂 It comes out on the 3rd of every month.” he replied “sorry, I must have forgotten” I said “That’s okay, no worries. Everything okay with you” He said “yeah I’m good thanks. How are you?” (which I was so happy and shocked because he doesn’t ask about how I am usually, hed just respond with ‘Good thanks’) I said “I’m glad & Yeah I’m pretty good. Is work crazy as usual with the schools being back now?” he then said “sure is. I’m back to stupid hours” I then replied Ah it’ll take some getting used to again. But remember it’s not forever and just keep positive haha PLOA!” (we watched the secret together) And he never responded. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I LOVE THIS BOY. I then went to snapchat and sent him a snap saying remember this? No reply. But watched it and my story. He’s a very loyal boy, so I feel hes really battling.

1. Shaunna

Shaunna

September 12, 2019 at 8:14 pm

Hi Rachel, so what you need to do is now work on yourself to be the best version of yourself, and use social media and the sphere of influence for the amazing version of you to get back to him. When he sees how happy you are in life and who you’re doing all these exciting and fun things hes going to remember the good times he had with you. The new relationship at the moment is in the honeymoon phase where he thinks she can do no wrong, this will chance soon. So spend your time focusing solely on you, also date be open to dating guys during this time too.

Rachel Morris

September 11, 2019 at 9:28 am

Hello,
    I moved to London in 2017 for school. Came home to see my boyfriend all the time. Loved him, but it was tricky sometimes. We went on a break in January not because of a lack of love but because of the distance. We put so much on being the happiest couple when we saw each other instead of just being normal. Break was for 3 months but we still spoke and went on dates. Then I split up with him in the 2nd week of April because I got scared as I didn’t know whether I could come home and I thought he wanted a certain life. Flash forward to the end of may / start of June I realised that I can move home and I love him too much. We speak, I inform him and hes abit reluctant but happy and talks to me for an hour almost every day on the phone. He then feels that I only want him back because of being unhappy. I find out he slept with someone at the end of April and I then lie saying I’m devod to be moving home. And that I was happy he was moving on. Then he was just really confused and said he didn’t know what he wanted and only after I went on my girls holiday did he tell me he’d met someone else. He was unsure of what to do for 2 weeks. So i asked him to give me one date because it’s easy to say no to something if you arent seeing that person only via text. He cancelled the date with me because he said he felt guilty. I wrote him a letter and turned up at his house. I basically did everything I shouldn’t of a begged. He said nope I’m sorry but I need a new life, right now I feel I need to give this girl a chance. He met her on tinder and it was the first girl hed been on a date with. Said he was happy with his decision and hed thought about everything. He said we’d be good for a few months but then we’d go back to how it was. (hes built up in his head that we were bad because I obvs hurt him alot) He told me it killed him in april too but ill be fine in time. We saw each other at a christening and I asked him why and he proceded to tell me that he wanted a new life, but also said ‘she makes me happier in 4 weeks than I was in 5 years, If shes making me want to choose her in such a little amount of time then I mustn’t have ever been happy with you, You’re amazing don’t beg. I hope you find someone who makes you feel the way she makes me feel’ He said she’s nothing like me, she quiet and innocent and has her own house and business. He’s never been able to tell me that he doesn’t love me but says ‘ill always care about you’… says he doesn’t want to hurt me. So he met her at the start of June and made her his gf in the middle of July. He’s weaned off speaking to me and doesn’t after a few texts or open the conversations. I didn’t message him for 3 weeks, not even a flinch. He watches all of my stories though. And because we live in a small town and his family still see me and we go out and his friends have become my friends I go out when hes not around. Whenever I do this, he posts a picture with her or of her dog the next day on his social media to which he NEVER posts. This weekend I went to support his best friend at a boxing match, he didn’t go. That night I posted a few stories. The next day I realised he had deleted our pictures that were still on his Instagram & posted a photo of her dog on snapchat and then took her to meet our friends for the first time. He’s changed and started to do things that I know he hated. Was he angry? Why else delete some of the recent photos of us but not older ones on insta? We were together for almost 6 years. And then because we had a house, the couch payments come from my bank so he has to pay me monthly for it. He ‘forgot’ after never forgetting for 2 years and so i broke contact after this weekend yesterday… I sent a simple “Heyhey hope you’re doing good? Didn’t know how to ask, but could you please send last months couch money over? It’s not like you to ever forget, so if you need time just let me know 🙂 It comes out on the 3rd of every month.” he replied “sorry, I must have forgot” I said “That’s okay, no worries. Everythign okay with you” He said “yeah im good thanks. How are you?” I said I’m glad & Yeah I’m pretty good. Is work crazy as usual with the schools being back now?” he then said “sure is. Im back to stupid hours” i then replied Ah it’ll take some getting used to again. But remember it’s not forever and just keep positive haha PLOA!” And he never responded. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I LOVE THIS BOY.

Maria

July 4, 2019 at 8:35 pm

I unfriended my ex on social media. Did i ruin all chances with him?

July 5, 2019 at 3:02 am

HI Maria…most likely not. What you will benefit from though is have a sensible ex recovery plan. Take a look at the “Ex Boyfriend Recovery Pro Bundle” as it is a complete blueprint that can help you in many ways.

Frankie

July 2, 2019 at 10:52 pm

I finished NC (30 days) but I’m still restricting myself from some contact with him because I’m still not emotionally ready to fully reach out to him. He contacted me on day 21 of NC and seemed to be very happy to hear from me on his birthday (day 30 – last day of NC) and seems very responsive to any messages I’ve written him but he has not initiated contact with me since his initial outreach on day 21. He does however like my Instagram posts (neither of us use Facebook much). Should I also like his Instagram posts? During NC I increased the amount of posts I was doing on IG and I noticed that just recently he is now posting on IG (he hadn’t done any posts since January). Please let me know if it’s more effective to get an ex back by ignoring his posts or by liking them. 🙂 Thank you!

July 3, 2019 at 12:16 am

HI Frankie….I understand. That is a wise choice if you feel you are not ready. Probably best to not respond to his IG posts in any way if you are still in NC.

Vandana

June 17, 2019 at 10:07 pm

Hello
    My ex is still looking at my WhatsApp status pics. He checks it many times a day. I have just started the no contact period. Initially I was putting all sentimental pics but for past few days I have been uploading only few pics &those too only positive ones (travelling). Should I continue to update them so that he can see them or should I block him out completely for 30 days?

Victoria

April 6, 2019 at 5:27 am

My relationship was relatively short (a couple momths) but we’ve known each other for almost 2 years. Do I still have a chance of getting him back with this method?

Dazed

March 7, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Hi there, a couple of things… so I noticed my ex on Facebook (not friends on there) deleted our pics (along with the ex gf he was seeing before me and hanging out while with me which prompt the break up) and stopped trying to befriend me on Snapchat (although his friend follows me now after break up) and look at my posts (shows when someone views your story) it’s been two weeks after me leaving him but as of yesterday he’s still my friend on a game app I use. There’s no text communication but exchange gifts. He now sends me “gifts” there which I can ignore it or open it but don’t have to send one back. Is this breaking NC if I just open the gift acknowledging he sent me something in the game? I don’t know what’s going on his head for him to result to going on a game he solely downloaded for me but never goes on unless with me & renamed his character from my name to “my ex gf” What do you think this means?

Jessica

October 22, 2018 at 6:28 pm

My ex and I broke up after 4 months together. We had like 6 pictures together on each other’s instagram. He deleted them all but 2. I archived all but 2.

We’ve been back together for about 3 weeks. Everything is great and we’re exclusive. He doesn’t want to “announce” we’re back together or post any photos yet, in case it doesn’t work out.

In 3 weeks he leaves for the UK and will be gone for 6 weeks. I dont care that he doesn’t announce us but he keeps following girls on instagram after they follow him. I dont know if these girls message him but I know he’s not telling them he has a girlfriend.

Knowing that we’re in a secret relationship, I dont know if I trust him for 6 weeks or that I want to wait for someone who doesnt want to tell people we’re together. He says he doesn’t want to post and delete in case we breakup and get back together again, etc. If he wasn’t leaving for so long I wouldn’t be as concerned, but 6 weeks is a long time.

jessi

April 22, 2018 at 3:01 am

Hey Chris, thank you so much it helps me a lot… he wasn’t really my bf, because we met on instagram and he lives in italy and me in spain. But we talked a lot everyday for 4 months. he was like my bf in my heart and i was his gf in his heart that we’ve confessed that we are gonna be together and we are not in love yet but are falling in love.

But i have bad memories of instagram flirting so i kinda ‘dumped’ him several times because he didnt stopped follow other girls. and he has cried when i said ‘adios’ once on call..
    We had planned to spend 3 days together in his city, but 2 weeks before that,
    i dumped him again but i regretted so i’ve tried to contact him but he didnt really react.

finally we’ve met in his city and he was so happy that he couldnt let me go
    and said, he wants to be my bf. and we wanted to do some sexual stuffs.
    next day he couldnt meet me, i met my close friend there.
    but i was checking his friends’ instagram with my fake account and noticed that he went to the club for his friend’s birthday.
    but he had said he doesnt feel good so he wants stay at home.

so i just realized that he had no more sentiments.
    so i ended up (quiet cold) with him by message.

he said he dont deserve me and he’s not good these days and adios.
    that was last monday, 1week ago.
    Since, i dont talk to him.
    but he stopped completely to follow girls, and like photos,
    but is watching my happy instastories everyday like every hour, like an obsession.
    (but i know he dosent watch every stories of his followings)
    i want to get over him but i cant because we had many chemistry for talk about all..
    i want him even if i dont show it more..

i dont know what to do, i dont know what to think, i cant imagine how he feels…

sorry for the long message….

April 22, 2018 at 4:36 am

Hi Jessi…I think it helps you emotionally to write your thoughts down. So if you are not already doing so, keep a diary. That can also help you get more centered which will be best going forward.

jessi

April 22, 2018 at 12:54 pm

thanks for the reply.. you think he isnt interested and we can be together..??

April 22, 2018 at 10:53 pm

Hi Jessi….that is why I have written my ebooks. To help people optimize their chances. My take is that it is very hard to just give up on someone you were once very close to, no matter what a person might say. So I think there are possibilities, but you need to have a concerted game plan.

1 2 3 4 9