550 thoughts on “You Broke Up With Your Ex Boyfriend And Now You Want Him Back”

Britt

September 7, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Just looking for some advice, so I will try to keep this as short as possible!

anyways, i met this guy through a dating app and we were together for almost 10 months. I thought we were pretty serious, but there were always red flags that I chose to ignore. Throughout our relationship, he always told me that he wanted to move away from the state we live in and travel, and he never gave us a “title”. I never met his family and friends, but on the flip side, they all knew he was seeing someone. But despite those shady things, we still acted like a couple. We went out on dates, we were very open about one another’s past and future goals, we had taken a weekend trip together (that he planned and initiated), he had GIVEN me money to help pay for school (he told me didn’t expect me to pay it back, and to consider it an early grad present). We had even talked about our life together once I graduated school: more trips we would take, where we would end up, casually talked about a family.A couple of weeks ago, almost 3 now to be exact, we were having a conversation. He was going on about moving, so I asked him what he and I were doing relationship wise. He told me that we were “just friends” and then basically called me a glorified friend with benefits. Those weren’t his words, but that’s what he was getting at. So I ended it, saying I wanted a real commitment; he told me that while he had feelings for me, he wanted to move and wasn’t sure where he would end up, so he didn’t want to commit. He never once asked if I would be willing to carry things on with him once he moved. But, he did ask if we could still be friends and continue to talk. He seemed pretty adamant about that. So in a moment of weakness, I agreed.
    A few days later, I was lonely, so I invited him over to hook up. He agreed, but then bailed because he was getting ready to go on a trip. My ego was hurt, so later that night I ended things for good. I told him all of this was too painful. And I needed space right now. Again, he asked if we could still continue to talk. Again, I agreed, but I told him I couldn’t see him for a while. He agreed. We continued to talk to each other for a couple of days. He ended up leaving that Tuesday morning for a week long diving trip. I didn’t talk to him for the whole week he was gone. I also told myself I wouldn’t initiate the conversations- if he really wanted to be friends, then he needed to put forth some effort. While he was gone, he was on Facebook the whole time. I know this, because I would stay online pretty much bating him to talk to me. Of course there would be times that he would wasn’t online for a few hours when I assume he was diving. But most of the time, he would stay online till 2 or 3 in the morning. Towards the end of his trip, around Friday/Saturday he started getting offline around midnight. But he still spent the majority of his day online. I know it’s unhealthy that I was tracking him, but at the time I felt like I was losing my mind.
    When he got back from his trip, he responded to a message I had sent to him before he left. He was friendly with me. I was so angry to hear from him and I was short in my responses with him. A couple of hours later, I got on facebook and told him that I was annoyed to hear from him. And that it’s not ok to talk to me whenever it’s convenient for him. He responded back saying “i just saw that message, but ok”. Later that night after I had time to calm down and realize I had acted out, I sent him a message saying that I acted from a place of immaturity. And that I did want to be friends, and I was sorry for blowing up at him for no reason. He responded back saying it was fine, and maybe we needed some space like I had suggested earlier. I told him that I had moved on from feelings for him (which was a complete lie) and that I could, and wanted to be friends, and that I didn’t want him to think I was crazy. and for him to look back years from now and hate me. He said “ok good” and that he didn’t think i was crazy. there was no more converation after that. The next night, wanting to talk to him, but not knowing what to say, I messaged him. I asked him “so how do friends work”? Because i honestly have never been friends with someone I have dated before. His response was “IDK”. I asked him if I was bothering him, and if I needed to leave him alone. he then told me, that he met someone while he was away, and he didn’t think it was good idea for us to talk anymore. I completely lost it. I tried to remain as calm as possible, but all the pent up emotions from 9 months together just came flooding out. I asked him how 2 weeks ago he could say he had feelings for me, and was unable to make a commitment, but is willing to start dating someone in a different country. I mean, that is a whole other level of commitment right there! I asked him how we could do all of those things together and talk about the future, and it only took 2 weeks for him to just throw it all away. He never responded to my message. And instead, he proceeded to block me on facebook. He hasn’t blocked me on any other social media or my phone number, just on facebook. I sent him a text through “whatsapp” because I wasn’t sure if he had my number blocked; I told him I wanted to move forward in a positive way, and that I lashed out at him because I realized we have always been on a different page when it came to “us”. And that if he has really found someone else, then I hope he is happy. And I won’t contact him anymore. He never responded even though he read it.
    Anyways, despite the fact that he didn’t want to commit, I miss him so much. We have ended things 4 times now (me ending them, all because of him not committing), and we have always gotten back together the next day. He has always come back happily. We have NEVER fought or even argued with one another. But this time, he has blocked me and won’t even speak to me. I am trying my hardest to implement the NC rule; it’s been 1 week since I sent him a message. I am still blocked on facebook, and he hasn’t tried to reach out to me in anyway. I want to give him his space, and I am hoping that with time he will reach out to me. I am also hoping that this thing with the girl in another country is just a fling/re-bound thing. I mean, he can’t possibly want to commit to a girl in another country after knowing her for one week, right? OR are he and I just a lost cause? Should I just cut my losses with this guy and move on like I said? I know this is long, but I could really use some expert advice. I am not sure why this one hurts so much.

September 9, 2016 at 8:13 am

Hi Britt,

it hurts because he knows how to make you feel good but he’s not yours..

You need to be consistent on what you say. If you say you want commitment then you have to stop giving him the benefits of a committed relationship right?

He has to see that you’re really full of it because there’s a higher possibility that he’s still going to try again.

You can try no contact as a last resort. Do 45 days, improve yourself and then after it, slowly build rapport.Don’t sleep with him until he really says he wants to commit and be exclusive now.

Liz

August 29, 2016 at 3:18 pm

I have a quick question!! It’s my ex boyfriends little sisters birthday September 1st & I got her a gift but I’m currently in NC. I was thinking of just leaving the gift on his porch. Is this ok or should I wait to give it to her?

August 31, 2016 at 9:34 am

Hi Liz,

it’s better to just wait, so that it wouldn’t start a conversation.

Danielle

June 9, 2016 at 12:31 am

I think this is a very interesting circumstance and I would love to get your feedback on this at ex bf recovery.

I met my ex- SO on a dating app and never actually met anyone else before on it but he was so persistence upon meeting me for 3 months I finally agreed to meet him in february, since we matched in december. Everything was going smoothly however we both live in different cities about 40 minutes away from each other so getting together once a week was a challenge- it ended up being around every 10 days or so. We were dating for around 4-5 months and everything was going great. I met his friends they loved me, we went out for nice dinners and drinks, and I even met his father at his childhood home. His mother and little sister were excited to meet me and things were going great, we had tentative plans for him to meet my father. Until one day at work I got an instant message from a girl who I had known to be absolutely insane, from college. She claimed to have been exclusive with my SO and wanted to let me know. At this point of time we were not exclusive so I couldn’t technically be angry with him although I let him know it was horrible to get my nose rubbed into it. After hours of explaining that they weren’t actually dating and she was actually black mailing another roommate of his- I decided to put this in the past and wanted to move forward in the relationship cautiously. Things were slow after that, and I saw him another time and things seemed to be fine after that but in the back of my mind I knew something was up. After that it was about a week and I hadn’t heard from my SO, it turned out one of his best buddies had past away. I saw him that following weekend and we had a wonderful time together and i met more friends of his at a bar. But the next day he never responded to my text message, and I didn’t hear from him in 2 weeks. I told him that I understand that he is going through a hard time and I am trying to be there for him, but I can’t be treated this way, only being reached every two weeks. We ended things on a friendly note and even chatted a little bit afterwards. This was about a week ago. I have never felt this strongly about anyone in my life before, I truly think this man is my soulmate but I have no idea how to win him back- after I broke things off with him. I am leaving for a three months to travel this summer tomorrow but we are still friends on Facebook and instagram. I am going to follow the social media tips- but I am wondering if this is even possible to win him back at this point?
    I think about him everyday and my heart is absolutely broken, but I know that if I didn’t end it then there would be absolutely no hope for a healthy relationship in the future.

Waiting anxiously for your help!

Danielle

Danielle

June 17, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Thanks Amor!

Do you think there a possibility that we can get back together if I follow NCR?
      He reached out to me last monday asking about my health because I had some issues.
      We got into a good conversation and then I ended it. Should I do the NCR for a full 30 days?
      and if so should initiate that I would like to see him again when I’m back from my travels?

Sorry for all the questions!

June 18, 2016 at 10:51 pm

we can’t guarantee that ncr will get him back but it will increase your chances..yes, you should do 30 days and reserve asking him to meet up.. do that when you’ve built enough rapport and attraction again

June 15, 2016 at 9:48 am

Hi Danielle,

if he is grieving..then you did the right thing because he has to go through it

Lizz

May 28, 2016 at 9:40 pm

So, i am in a long distance relationship and there have been many ups and downs and mini breaks in which we always end up back together. I was always the one with the doubts, finding reasons to break up and sooner or later i would feel weak and would slide back into the relationship. I have seen him a couple of times since he has been away (over 2 years) prior to him going away we did have plans of settling down, however due to his circumstances he has been left in a state of limbo, and understandably unable to promise anything except his continual feelings towards me. i will admit in the time we have been together (long distance and not- 3-4 years) he has fed my insecurities, this was mainly at the begninng when i found him subtly flirting with/ talking to other girls online however when addressed he did change- i genuinely feel he didnt see itas a big deal- i was also his first serious relationship so i guess a lot of learning was going on. So more recently we broke up as i over reacted to him going out without informing me and pretty much convinced him that we shouldnt be together, that he has wasted my time, has nothing to offer me, makes me feel insecure and that i cant trust him- following this i ignored him for a coupe of days and then sank into old patterns- however i successfully convinced him and he felt that this time i was right- therefore there was a period of distance and he seemd to have lost his fight a bit- within a month things had returned to the status quo (back together, regularly talking etc) shortly i went through a period of distress to which i did not feel i was a priority – i addressed this calmly and explained perhaps we are not suited and we need other people that can bring out the best in us. he was upset and i began no contact – i did tell him before no contact that i needed space to move on- he has always been respectful of my wishes and so did not contact me after this period i contacted him and his responses were polite and neutral- what should i do to get him back ? i have a feeling perhaps he has moved on? i feel if i dont contact him he wont initiate with me and i dont want to come across clingly especially if he has moved on?

May 31, 2016 at 6:52 am

Hi Lizz,

it is actually the hardest situation in getting an ex back..how long did you do no contact and what did you do in it? When will he be back and how often do you see each other?

Tiffany

April 5, 2016 at 2:00 pm

So i feel like I have jumped around all stages you have suggested with my ex. We broke up a year ago… and I ended it. I moved on very shortly after with a rebound guy. That I put on social media because I was feeling all honeymoonish and thought it was grand idea. After all my ex and I talked. He seemed to be okay with it and wanting me to move to be happy. So I took that as he didn’t want to be with me anymore. Well we spent 6 months in constant limbo of me trying to get back with him… him not being ready… then when I turned around and decided we are better off as friends.. within a weeks time he would want come running back and being my boyfriend… mind it was only after I initiated the first text. Then finally in January we were both on the same page.. but I found out he had became friends with one of my EX-BESTFRIENDS. I flipped… a lot… basically ending that attempt. A week later I calmed down, and was ready to forgive to move forward. Well since then he hasnt been interested in anything more than “friends.” Yet I don’t believe what he says esp. after reading some of your articles and I know he doesn’t mean that. He is testing my loyalty. He is truly afraid I am going to wake up and change my mind everyday. I can’t blame him I hurt him. He has even said “ive been really good for you, and really bad for you. Either way you have left. I just don’t know what to do anymore.” I understand through this post I need to praise him some more.. and do a lot of that communication you were talking about. But I just can’t get him to see that since January I have been here for him and haven’t changed my mind. At one point in January when I was desperately begging him to take me back I decided I needed to do a little soul searching. So I didn’t talk to him 3 weeks.. my own no contact rule I didn’t know was a thing. But I initiated the conversation…. where he mentioned “well you haven’t talked to me for three weeks.” So I know he noticed and he cares. So I haven’t had a plan when talking to him.. I can’t even tell you how often I have or haven’t reached out… But his mom got recently sick and I was there for me. He called me told me right away… I was at the bedside with her, and offered to be there if he needed anything. Well I freaked out on him again because (remember that ex friend of mine) well she was stopping by to visit his mom to … or mainly him rather. I could not believe it. I believe when he says he doesn’t want anything more than friends with her, but he is using her to get a reaction out of me. It is totally working. So we recently had a conversation about what he wanted from me. All I got was he “can’t see if getting back to the way it was.” Then it became “I just don’t want a relationship with anyone right now.” to “How can I trust you aren’t just going to wake up and change your mind again.” So obviously he is scared and hurting. By implementing the no contact rule right now is not warranted because he also stated in there “I want to hear from you no matter what it is about.”

So is my next step just start the conversation good times? and how long do you wait before you go into the heart to heart section? I feel like with him anytime before he is ready will totally push him away…. I know he is waiting to go to the state academy for his job… once he comes back from their I know he will be ready.. that is the type of man he is. But his reason for why we can’t try things before the academy is “I won’t be able to talk to anymore for two months… how are you going to handle that?” Mind you I dated him for 18 months while he was in the military… so basically he saying … How can he trust me to still stick around for 2 months without talking to him. But i have soul searched this what I want.. I know what I had now, and I know better how to appreciate… mind you I am a very impatient girl. 😉 I am looking for a way to show I am never changing my mind. The thought of us not getting our happy ending together is too much for me to live with.. I simply can’t deal.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will take note in the mean time to you conversation ideas. Also, note we have hung out since January we went out to dinner, and he paid. The vibes were cute like first date smiles, and warm long hugs afterwards. But I couldn’t get him to hangout with me again after that. HE let me in when his mom was sick, but then I flipped about the ex friend showing up. So now I am back to square one. He only came over to see me so I could apologize in person, which is when he stated all the quotes I have listed above.

April 8, 2016 at 9:17 am

it’s going to be harder. Actually I think the next best time to reconnect would be after he got from the 2 months in military because right now he still has that image of you being angry.. Try to continue what you’ve been doing again during nc, take a chance on reconnecting with him after a month, but if it’s not good then that means you really have to wait until he’s back.

stacy s

April 3, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I am trying to decide if I should try to get my boyfriend back.
    I met my bf through an online dating site. We dated for 3 months. We have a lot of things in common and have fun together. We used to see each other 2 or 3 times a week in the beginning, then it faded to 1 time a week. I expressed my concern because we really didn’t have enough contact via phone, only 1 time a week was hard. He began calling and texting every day. He asked to be my boyfriend. I said no because we didn’t see each other enough and my expectations of a bf involved more time together. I’m a quality time type girl. As time went on I gave him an option to see me more or move on. He complied, but only for a week, before sending a text he was tired. Over our relationship he has told me stories of numerous gfs in the 2 years he’s been divorced. During our relationship he’d make comments like “lets move in together, lets get married, have our kids meet. ” I think he just tells me what he thinks i want to hear, because his actions tell a different story. I told him how much i really liked him and wanted more time together. He told me in the spring and summer, id see even less of him because of work overtime and side construction jobs. I finally told him i wanted to date other people, he was fine with it. Then a week later i told him i didn’t want to see him anymore.
    Through online research i have come to the conclusion that he might be emotionally unavailable. Even after our breakup we went away for the weekend, texted every day, had sex. I finally realized that i had to envoke the no xontact rule. He texted me on two different days. One was to tell me he had a date and wanted me to know. And also that he missed me sexually. The next was to tell me his date cancelled. I never answered him. I feel i might be wasting my time because he’s emotionally unavailable. He told me he didn’t live me and never knew if hed ever feel thatcway about someone after his exwife. He’s 43 and I’m 40. Whats is your opinion of trying to get this guy back after breaking up with him?

April 4, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Hi Stacy,

If he said he didnlt love you then it’s better to move on than wait for him to love you

Ester

March 28, 2016 at 9:35 pm

I’m in my thirties and am currently in a relationship with a guy who I consider a great friend. There’s no passion, but it’s stable, we rarely fight, we communicate rationally, and we care about each other. The deeper into his personality I get though, the less it seems we have in common, which makes me increasingly less attracted to him. It’s been going on 3 years now, purposely taking it very slow, but we haven’t been able to take it to the next step, which is move in together.

We hang out 1-3 times a week, and scheduling time is annoying because we are both workaholics. It seems to make sense to solve the problem by moving in together, but he’s scared that I’m not all in 100%, which is frustrating because why else would I stay for the last three years, except out of comfort I guess, maybe his instincts are right. I enjoy his companionship most, but I’ve also been scared to move in with him because I’ve had doubts whether he is the one I actually want to settle down with. I want to shower him with the love and kindness he deserves but I hit a brick wall.

Maybe it’s the recent urge for a change and to settle down that I’ve become more and more haunted by the ghost of my ex. I dumped my ex 5 years ago and have been out of contact ever since, aside from an email here and there with a funny link, the last one sent 3 years ago, a desperate olive branch. I still miss him like crazy. In hindsight I came to realize he was the big one, the great love of my life and I made the biggest mistake. I had a taste of that crazy banana splits love and now that I have this mellow applesauce love, its harder to warm up to it.

My ex and I met in college when we were 20 and 22. It was love at first sight, and we were inseparable for 3 years, living together for most of it. He dumped me the first time because he was lost and had to figure out what to do with his life. It was very painful, and we didn’t speak for 2 years, I casually dated other people, moved away, and then we met up again randomly and fell instantly back in love. I immediately dumped the person I was with, and he left his hometown to move in with me.

Round 2, my ex and I dove back into living together for another 3 years. Things got rocky towards the end because we were living and working closely 24/7. We worked long hours, would disagree a lot, and things got personal very easily, and I cried a lot. When we both lost our jobs, life got harder, and we took each other for granted and became resentful. Instead of showing kindness and working towards a new game plan that could make us both happy, we both blew up.

We had a big screaming fight over something really small and I kicked him out of our apartment (regret). He came back to get his stuff, and that was the last time I saw him. I immediately felt relief and a huge weight off my shoulders, but he continued to mail letters for months. The sadness of him gone wouldn’t hit me right away, but would come and go in waves where I would cry for weeks and be fine for a few months, then cry for no reason, and be fine for a few years and then tear up when I hear certain songs or watch certain movies, then find the shoebox filled with all his old love letters and reread them all, become an emotional wreck.

Which makes me want to appreciate what I have now with my current bf even more, and leave my ex alone. We’ve been able to grow and rebuild quieter lives on our own for a while now, and it’s only with perspective that I can see how much he meant to me. I’m tempted often to reach out to my ex somehow in a respectful and meaningful way. A lot of lessons learned at any rate, which is why i don’t want to do anything irrational, cause more pain. I found out from a mutual friend that he’s presently single and living a happy and chill life, all the more reason to leave him alone right? But the hope! It kills me. Am I being wistfully nostalgic and will it pass or am I still hung up on my ex and will it ever go away? Do I need to tell my current boyfriend about these thoughts? This is cruel what I’m doing right? Should I just get a dog and leave everyone alone?

TLDR – the first cut is the deepest, so if u can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with?

April 3, 2016 at 5:05 am

Hi Esther,

sorry for the late reply.. For me, if the one you love doesn’t love you move on. But if you don’t love the one that loves you, be fair.. Either you give him a chance or let him find a woman that will love him back.

matt

March 23, 2016 at 3:45 am

I know this is generally meant to be a forum for women, but the forums for men are awful, and not very helpful.

I’m 35 and my Girlfriend (31) of 7 months broke up with me recently. I saw it coming, as I was away the
    week before and saw her responses to my texts change and she would focus on replying only to certain
    parts of a message while glazing over the sentimental stuff. When it finally came to the day it ended I
    knew by her messages to meet up I knew that she was going to end things. I had felt things were off
    somehow, and there were things I was not happy with in our relationship, but I had resolved to discuss
    them with the hope of making things better. If she didn’t end things I was going to suggest a time to sit
    down and talk about us.

That night she came by my place, we shared small talk of my trip, and when it got silent I passed her a
    present that I had brought back for her from my trip, thinking that if she was there to end things that
    would trigger something, and it did. She refused the gift and said we have to talk. I responded that I
    thought something was up. She told me that she wanted to break up. I didn’t try to change her mind I
    only asked why? What did I do? She responded that “it was nothing that I did”, she said “I was
    wonderful, but something was missing”. I had managed to keep my emotions in check but this is where I
    started to loose composure; I asked her to please be honest with me, that this was a common
    occurrence in how my relationships ended with women, and that as an introspective individual I would
    value her feedback no matter what. She said she didn’t know what it was, but that “something was
    missing”. It’s a hard thing to hear that you were wonderful and did nothing wrong, and yet there is
    something missing, so I became emotional and had to fight back the tears.

She stated that before I left she had had a realization, based on her reaction to a request I made that
    she had not reacted correctly to, that something was missing, but she could not pinpoint to what was
    missing. While I was away she had a chance to reflect and realized she needed to end the relationship
    which is why she was distant in her texts to me. She said she respected me to much to string me along
    and ended it on our first meeting upon my return.

I told her of my plan to talk; she asked me what my concerns were and I shared them. She expressed
    that she really wanted to remain friends. It’s tough in these situations, but I honestly believe she was
    being honest that she didn’t know what was missing, though it hurt that she did not seem to want to
    work it out rather than end things without trying, and I do believe she wants to be friends.

It’s a long story to get to my question and maybe not the most applicable forum, but here it is: I get the
    concept of no contact if you want an ex back, and I’m not even sure I do, but I do want to be friends, and
    still need time to heal, but with her birthday coming up in a few days should I text her to say happy
    birthday or do I carry on with No Contact?

March 31, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Hi Matt,

sorry for the late reply.. Did you greet her?

Anya

March 9, 2016 at 7:31 pm

I need urgent help. I am in a 8 year longrelationship with this amazing guy. We both belong to different religions. We know our folks will never agree to our union still we had always thought of telling and pursuing them.
    Lately, my guy was relocated and promoted to a new place. Since then things became rough between us. I understand that due ro new responsibilities he did not have much time with me. However, he started spending more time with new found friends (some living in the same building) and i had no details of these people whom he hangout with.
    He used to share every little detail of his life earlier but he stopped doing that. Instarted catching his little lies on matters so insignificant and things that were not evene supposed to be hidden or lied about.
    This got me paranoid and i found out that he has profiles on different dating websites. I confronted him and he kept on apologising and saying that he realized and used it for few days only, which i know is true.
    However, when we met after this cheating eoisode i was very angry with him and wanted to break up. Though i did kot fight with him, but i was upset. As soon as i told him that i am thinking of break up , he said that he has told his parents that he is ready to get married to a girl thaat they would like. This broke me completely.
    However, he cried(literally) a lot and told me he loves only me and i should not break up. The way he sooke about his feelimgs for me he had never done that before. He cried so much.
    But after returning to his work place, he stopped calling me. However he would pick my call and answer my messages. After dew days this really started to hurt and i confronted him, only to learn that he doesnt want to talk yo anyone as his life is getting screwed and he loves me but cant marry me so he is upset!!!
    He talks to me still for hours but inly when i call him. If i dont call him for a day he will message me asking something. But i still catch him telling insignificant lies.
    Tonight i brokeup with him. Because in the morning i was talking to him that how has he become so rude and that he never calls me to which he replied that he doesng want to talk to anyone. But i got to know thag he was out with friends
    i love him, but i want him to realize that i am a priority and i am valuable. Please help me what to do yo make him miss me and come back to me and behave like he used to in the past

March 9, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Hi Anya

are you doing no contact now?

Cass

March 8, 2016 at 1:23 am

Hi, I broke up with my boyfriend of a year about 3 weeks ago. We tried to end it amicably and remain friends, but got into a huge fight. Since this fight, we haven’t talked. I’ve gotten rid of all his social media and am implementing NC right now. I know we aren’t good for each other, and shouldn’t be together. But I want him in my life somehow..I want to at least be friends. But I don’t know how to go about doing this. I want him to know I’m sorry for some of the actions I’ve taken, and things I’ve said but don’t want to bring up bad times either. Thanks!

March 9, 2016 at 10:26 am

Hi Cass,

if it’s just being friends.. just give him time..later on he’ll talk to yoi

Ria

March 3, 2016 at 3:10 am

Hi

I’m 17 years old and me and my ex broke up about a month ago. Before me and him dated we started out to be very good friends. We would joke around with each other and he would always sit right next to me at my lunch table for last 15 minutes even though none of my friends liked him. My friends did not like him because of the poor decisions he had made in his life. But even though all of my friends hated him he still made an effort to stay around me. I was introduced to him by my friend and after me and him met he would always make attempts to talk to me. I started to get feelings for him and I told him that. He told me he knew I did. But eventually I found out that he had a girlfriend. It made me mad that he couldn’t even tell me that he had a girlfriend knowing how i felt about him. We got in an argument over it and we didn’t talk for 2 weeks. Eventually he was depressed and i started to see it in the way he acted. I made an effort to go and talk to him. We started to talk again and he started to give me rides everyday. Then one day I texted him and he told me he had feelings for me and he wanted to ” try a thing” with me. We weren’t exactly official but we did kiss mulitple times in public. Every one started to notice it. I went over to his house and he tried to make me do stuff with him. I didn’t feel comfortable doing anything more than kissing unless we were dating. That day i acted really aqward. After we were done hanging out i texted explaining him how i felt uncomfortable and he said he respected that. The funny thing is the next day he asked me out. None of my friends excepted it. They didn’t like him because people thought of him as a “fuck boy.” But after he asked me out it was great for the first 4 weeks but everything was going way to quick we did things that i have never done with any of my ex’s. But when my parents found out about us dating things went down hill. My parents put very strict expectations on him like he could not drive me home anymore or my parents have to drive me to the place we are hanging out at. He was reallyyy upset about it for 2 days. But he told me he would except these terms for me. I started to feel that he only wanted me for one thing…. and i told him how i felt and we started to get in arguments. He would go smoke with his friends but he couldn’t be there for me. I started to feel like it wasn’t worth it. until he texted me telling me he felt the same way. but when he explained the issues he had. He seemed to blame everything on me. But i accepted it. We were really close to break up that day but we didn’t. I just apologized for everything and for 2 days things were back to being perfect. Until I had personal issues with my parents and my grades were slipping. I decided that right now i needed time to figure out my life so i broke up with him. He ended up texting me making me feel worse about making that decision and I have apologized to him ever since. I still do. I feel like im not even close to over him. But now he has a girlfiriend. He told me that i was the girl he really liked the most and how by me breaking up with him effected everything. but it took him a matter of a month to get over me??! I still have feelings for him and tend to apologize to him way to much. Everyone tells me that its not worth it but i felt like i saw a better side of him then what people told me. But all I want is to be friends with him. I dont want to lose someone that I cared sooo much about.

March 3, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Hi Ria,

if you want to be just friends, that’s easier, when you bump into a each other at school, guauge how he’s reacting to you.. if he’s not angry, ask him how he is

Elizabeth

February 21, 2016 at 6:59 am

Hello,
    I am 17 and I recently broke up with my first boyfriend. He is my co-worker, we meet through work in July 2015 when he started and from then on we started talking a lot. We became close friends and we always were together at work. As time passed, I started getting feelings for him. I started to flirt with him and we talked all day long. We then started hanging out outside of work. We went to a concert and we held hands and he wrapped his arms around me. A few weeks later we went to the fair together and I showed him a lot of interest. We then held hands again and enjoyed the time together. October 30th he asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes. We then continued going out together and our co-workers were really happy for us! Especially my best friend! My parents loved him and so did my siblings. As time passed by he seemed to stop trying to communicate with me. He lacked communication with me and stopped trying to talk and be with me. So then on December 16th I broke up with him via text message. At first I was a little relieved because it’s like I had to stop worrying about him not trying. Later on, I started to feel the regret and now I want him back. What do I do?! I love him.

February 21, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Hi elizabeth,

do you still see each other at work and when was the last time you talked?

celine

February 20, 2016 at 12:43 pm

hi,
    a few weeks ago my boyfriend and i broke up he was great to me and he actually broke up with his girlfriend for me but one day he asked me for pictures of myself naked so after that i just felt like i should end things with him mostly cause i felt he he didnt respect me when i broke up with him he thought i didnt care but my boyfriend and i had the same best friend so when i told that person and then he told my ex so my ex talked to me and told me that he still loves me and we talked and when we arranged to see each other (as friends) he tried to kiss me i rejected him and left. he hasnt talked to me since but school just started again and i see him every day and i miss him so much everyone keeps telling me that he still loves me but i just wish he talks to me he stares at me every time he sees me but i still act like i dont care and i know that i should act like i do care and maybe hell talk to me but i just dont know im so confused like should i forgive him should i talk to him first shoud i tell him i still love him should i just move on should i wait a little longer i just really dont know what to do

February 21, 2016 at 5:12 am

Hi Celine,

You did the right thing.. If you have given that picture and kiss to him, you’ll lose respect for yourself too.. And he probably is still in love with you because of your standards.. It’s ok to be nice.. just a smile when yiu pass by each other can let him initiate a talk with you.. But always be cautious, be firm on your standards, so, you don’t end up with the wrong guys..

Clara

February 18, 2016 at 7:17 am

I have a break off with my ex few days back. It was my 2nd time breaking up. He told me that im not the one that he wants in his life nor settle down with. We have been tgt for 10 mths. and we were happy in the beginning of the relationship. Things started to change after 7 mths, I feel that he doesnt love me as much as from the start. i start to get sentimental and emotional. And i will keep message him. He doesnt reply most of my msg. After the break up i keep msg him, call him, till he blocked me everywhere. I wanted to patch up with him. But he is firm with the decision taht he doesnt want patch up anymore. I tried to use NC but i jus cant control myself. He started to find me irritating and told me to get out from his life and he say he is not interested anymore. WHy do guys change so fast? Is it becasue of my characters and emotional that he cant take it?

We have book a trip in May and now tt we have broke off, should we still proceed to go the trip tgt? As a friend? As the tickets n hotels fee cannot be cancelled and transferred. And i really wish we can go tgt. He has agreed to go the trip with me. But is it weird to go tgt not as a couple?

I really wish to patch with him but he dont want. I have told him i wont contact him anymore le.

What should i do? Need your help. Thanks.

February 18, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Hi Clara,

I think nc is really the best solution for now because if you”re not going to do it, what do you plan to do next?

February 13, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Hi there , I’m 19 years old ,me and my boyfriend had been with each other for 4 years ,but we were hardly seeing each other because he was from Cairo and I am from Alexandria ,Egypt …whatever I knew him from Facebook that he sent the add to me and I accepted it ,then we became close friends after a while till he said that he loves me and I told him too that I love him ,then every thing was getting closer and nicer in our relationship till I adored him so , he also seemed to be adoring me ,He came once in the valentine’s day but that I was really upset to not get him a gift as he did .and that did happened because my mother dOnOt want me to be with him and she didnot gave me any money to buy him a present also I didnot tell her that I am going to see him , and all things were right and good till that day 🙁 25-5-2015 ,that he began to change with me ,when I call him he dOnOt reply or cancel or power off his phone ,when I ask to see him to talk to him he was telling that he will come to me and didnot , by the way I was not able to travel to him to Cairo because of my study and my family would not ever allow me to go…then it began to be worth as he told me that we will not call because there is no soul from doing that …,he said that after he was adoring my voice and the my laughing ,after we was talking for hours on phone and telling each other about every thing we did on the whole day, he began to hurt me saying that m getting fat and my cloths make me older ,I did not know any thing about his life his work any thing ,by the way I forgot to tell that his 26 now ….,and after all that ignoring I just got hurt ,so badly hurt ,crying every night ,dreaming about him always,:( because I really love him alot, But eventually I send him message said that I hate him and I will leave him and how much I am angry with him and I thought he will be kind and care about me and about my love but he just said to me (you are beautiful and you love a dead one and that I dOnOt deserve you and you deserve better than me and I wish you the best in your study and your life )….,:( like he was waiting me to say that I will leave him ,like he did want that !!! 🙁 , since that day we had never talked with each other and he made everything on his Facebook unseen to me but didnot block me , that is all wt happened .., I am really broken and sad ,I adore him ,and I am really scared from that he with another girl now I am scared :(…. I love him please just help me ,tell me wt shall I do to make him want me ,wt shall I do to have him back ..please help <3 thanks alot …

March 20, 2016 at 3:23 am

Hey Amor , m sorry about not answering for a while because I had so many exams and stuff , every thing is going right and great with my love ,he is talking to me regularly now ,and he said sorry for not answering because he had sm troubles then , he got out of it now and we are happy now ,oh and I told him I love him as he told me so and he always love every thing on me 🙂 m happy and I wish I will stay like that with him 4ever , I wish u can stay in connection with me for ever to. Tell you about any situation I may not be able to treat with one day <3 thQ

March 20, 2016 at 9:36 am

oh that’s good! I’m happy for you too!

March 10, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Hey Amor ,missed our talk alot … There is much new conversations between me and my boyfriend till now were speaking daily in everything , till the last Friday , he told me that I should focus in my study and he doesn’t want to be a reason for me to care about him the most any leave studying so he told me that I have to focus till finish studying in summer &we will do every thing ,so we didnot talk till that time ,but I just wanna check him, dnt want much talk ,I send him yesterday a msg askin about him but he didnot see it and will not reply ,wt do you think shall I do ?! …

March 11, 2016 at 12:41 am

Hi Mira! How are you? You’ve come aong way from not having a convo with him at all.. He told you to focus in studying now and you’ll again in summer?

February 22, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Yeah sure I will keep it slow , <3 luv u alot Amor , I hope we would be always in connection if anything new happened , thQ

February 23, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Aawww.. I hope you work things out!

February 21, 2016 at 10:08 pm

We talked , I was really amazed because of that conversation , I told him first *hey ,how are things?* and stuff like that , and I found he began to say very beautiful word , he told me that he miss me alot , he also said that he hopes that my college would be next to him in Cairo , he said that he was always thinkin about us and how we uses to be together , he even told me that I look gorgeous in the profile picture of mine and he likes it alot , he asked me if I was thinkin about us too or not !!.. I was confused then that I didnot really want to hurt him of saying (no I wasnot ), and also because I didnot wanna lie that I really was thinkin daily about him , eventually I said yeah , and he replied ^Really??^ ,like he didnot believe him self of joy !! 🙂 … He tolde that he is so happy that I finally talked to him 🙂 🙂 …. It ended as I was going out and also he that we said we would talk later ….:) that’s we happened and m really surprised hahaha !!! 🙂

February 22, 2016 at 1:41 pm

That’s good! I’m happy for you! But take it slow ok? Keep the mystery, do the tide theory in texting, don’t give it all to early so you won’t lose the spark

February 20, 2016 at 2:17 pm

No i just wrote the word *sorry* and i didnot say anything else ,and i didnot say that i still love him to him no ,he saw the msg and he answered the next day saing the same word *sorry* like I told you … But I saw it and did not answer … But I just want to say anything I dOnOt wanna him to get away again …plz. Tell me what shall I say next ? …I hope you tell quickly because your reply arrives after a day so m just waiting ….<3

February 21, 2016 at 5:31 am

Well, I don’t want to be annoying..
      But you have to remember, right now, it’s more probable that he won’t come back.. So, this is a risk you should be ready
      And also you can send him why you’re sorry.. He’s probably wondering about what you’re really sorry for and also, if he replied.. this can be your chance to build rapport again with him..

Keep in mind too, he has a girlfriend.. if he sees you’re trying to get back with him, he’ll probably avoid you to avoid conflict with his girlfriend…

And also make your next message light.. no one wants to have a negative conversation.. Also, too, have you been active? If he sees your profile, will he see that you’re happy and trying to move on or moved on? Because that’s important. He will try to know if you are being friendly or just chasing him..

So, your message can go like,

“Hey! Sorry my last message was incomplete! I just saw (something you have shared together, a place, a thing, a friend) and I wondered how you were, and that before I can catch up again, I should have said sorry first… 🙂 So, how are things? ”

Something like that.. refer to Chris’ advice on how to text
      EBR 022- How To Text Your Ex Boyfriend

and think about what he really loves to talk about as a topic

Also if he engages.. follow the tide theory.

February 19, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Amor 🙂 , he answered .. He said the word *sorry * too with sad emotion like this * 🙁 * m really confused my heart beating so fast wt shall I do wt shall I say 🙂 🙂

February 20, 2016 at 7:45 am

Okay.. take it slow… anyways how dod you exactly say you were sorry? did you tell him you still love him?

February 18, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Okay I will send him that sorry ,just the word sorry ,and i Will wait till he answers , and if he did I would tell you what did he say to tell me if I have to ignore that or not , and yes you are right I have to care about my life more like he did …anyway thQ …

February 19, 2016 at 10:32 am

okay.. I’ll wait for it.. your welcome 🙂

February 17, 2016 at 7:08 pm

No actually my parents would not allow me to go there if they knew that I would be with him …but m just fighting for us to be together , … Only if we get back , but if he just stayed away like that why would I go , I am essentially going for him …but if no thing changed I would enter the same college here in Alex ….but you know you are right I have to move on even in front of him to make him think that I forgot every thing and may that changes him to think about me again … m just doing every thing u say to me step by step , but the problem is that I open his chat every day and think that why couldn’t I just write the word *sorry* and send it to him but I do find it really hard on me ….

February 18, 2016 at 11:18 am

Oh.. now that makes it clear for me, you have to put yourself first.. you can’t make life decisions because of him because first, you’re putting too much pressure on him. Second, even if it’s because of him, you can’t blame him if something goes wrong because it was just your decision, he didn’t ask for it and lastly, you’re putting too much in the table when all he has for you is attention and time(if he goes back with you)

Think about it first, you’re the only one chasing here.. For me send him that sorry once and for all and then move on.. if he contacts after that then good but don’t move there just because you’re in a relationship.. Ot has to be a fair play.. Value yourself so, others will value you okay?

February 16, 2016 at 8:08 am

We were agreed that I will live with him in Cairo after my study ,now I just have 3 months to finish it and to go to college in Cairo and start our life …

February 16, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Okay, it’s been so many months Mira.. By now you should know what makes you happy apart from him.. if you haven’t start now…
      Because even if you can’t see his posts, he will see yours.. If you appear like you haven’t moved on, he probably wouldn’t want to talk to you yet..

I don’t want to be negative, but I’m just asking you possible blocks he may think about..
      If you get to Cairo to go to college and live with him, would your parents allow you? Are you sure you’re going to college there? If he doesn’t get back with you, would you still be studying there?

February 14, 2016 at 8:07 pm

After I got hurt from all what he was doing to me that I mentioned , I sent it in 26/6/2015 ,I really appreciate ur affort Amor thQ <3 I hope I can really get him back because I miss him alot …

February 15, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Thank you too..

Ok, so, it’s been almost 8 months since you last sent a text to him.. you said you couldn’t go to Cairo and he couldn’t go Alexandria, I think that’s one of the reasons of your break up…

If ever you get back together, how will you solve that?

February 14, 2016 at 9:05 am

ThQ Amor for answering me <3 ,…we were so great loving each other ,talking every night on phone ,texting always ,during those 4 years ,I was always trying to shorten the distances between us by doing anything I could do , and about the NC rule ,yes I did , I told you we have not been talking since may 2015 till now , we even overcame the 30 days of the NC …:(

February 14, 2016 at 10:35 am

oh ok..when did you send the text that yoou said you were angry with him?

February 14, 2016 at 4:37 am

Hi Mira,

How do you see each other during those 4 years?
      I wish we can guarantee that you can surely get him back, but we can only help you increase your chances.
      are you doing nc now?

somebody needing help

February 7, 2016 at 11:15 pm

I am only 12, but i had a boyfriend for about a month and a half. we broke up because he thought it would be awkward, which i still don’t understand, but he got a new girlfriend like 2 days after we broke up. i have been sad and angry and sad again ever since they started dating and i even when i asked him if he wanted to break up because it was awkward or if he wanted to date this other girl he said because it was awkward and i just want to get him back because i am madly in love with him and i cry myself to sleep every night thinking about him

February 8, 2016 at 9:22 am

Hello,

With your age, it’s normal that it would hurt a lot but it’s not normal for you to focus on him. As a young lady, and this advice comes too early for you, a bf or fiance or husband is there just to add in to our complete identity. They’re in our lives because they compliment at core values.
      So, in that age that’s what you need to focus on more. Growth and building your character.
      So, when the right time comes, you’ll notice it yourself that guys gravitate to independent women. Women who don’t make guys their world and know their self vale and is doing bigger things than just living day to day.

So, now focus on knowing yourself, building your character and learning new skills and enjoy life! 🙂

precious

February 4, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Hi i dated my best friend about 4 years ago for 6 months and we broke up because of his interest in someone else i spent days crying but he tried to make me understand even though we broke up we are still friends he tell every thing about his life and relationship and am always there to comfort him when he needs it,we talk every day and since we broke up i couldn’t date someone else and i noticed he couldn’t have a stable relationship too……sometimes i want to move on but i cant please help i there any chance that we can get back together or is it a bad idea

precious

February 6, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Thanks Amor
      Few hours ago i talk to him almost everyday

February 7, 2016 at 4:43 pm

You’re welcome 🙂 I think it’s better if you do NC.

February 5, 2016 at 10:34 am

Hi Precious,

When was the last time you talked to eah other?

Peyton

December 17, 2015 at 7:22 pm

I need some help. I am 16 and dated my boyfriend for 11 months exclusively. The first 6 were great and he was in over his head in love with me – we were each other’s first real relationship. He began to get obsessive, not really in a bad way but constant texting and snapping all day long, facetiming every night, not giving me any alone space at school, basically being a puppy and following me around. Talking about a future together, when we get married, going to the same college, etc. I got overwhelmed by it all and broke his heart about 6 weeks ago just prior to our one year anniversary. He was in shock as he was planning something special for our 1 year anniversary. Even though I did this, I was in bed for days crying and depressed. Time went on and we maintained somewhat of a friend relationship because we saw each other every day. We still had ties to each other, ie, tickets to a show, sports clothing i purchased from him etc so we still had to have a baseline relationship. The first 10 days he tried to come back, texting me about his uncle who passed away, or trying to facetime me. After that, he would only respond when i sent him a note and he responded every time in a nice way. One month after, he took the one photo of us down from his instagram wall. I still kept 4 photos of us on mine because i wanted to. They were part of my life and history. Two weeks after he took his down, he asked me to take mine down saying it was awkward. I sort of freaked out on him about it asking him why. I begrudging did so, only to land myself again into a spiral of depression in my room for hours crying. I then sent him a note apologizing for freaking and why I did, that I considered them memories of good times and that the past month and a half of getting some space, I realized how much he really meant to me and that i was sorry for causing him pain. That was the only text he never responded to. At school now, he avoids me. What is happening with him? Do I have any chance of winning him back? As obsessive as he was, he was a great person, smart, driven and so good to me – treated me like a queen. I don’t know what I was thinking to leave. Please help! Peyton

Peyton

January 21, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Further to my story – we had been maintaining a somewhat cordial relationship for about a month after breaking up – i would be the one who texted but he would always respond. Then New Years came – and he became sort of a changed man – started partying with old friends (something he had never done in his life), kissed a girl that he barely knew etc. I sent him a text telling him how much i still loved him and never stopped – that i broke up with him because his focus was not in the right places and only on me…and that I thought we still had a chance to start anew only a different type of less intense relationship he wrote back nicely and said that he understood everything I wrote but that his focus now did need to be on college, hockey and his future career and that he was not looking for any relationship right now. I am accepting this but struggling to believe that after 11 months of telling me every single day how much he loved me and that his life would be ruined without me in it, in 1 1/2 he could be so over it. Now even though the texts were left not angry, he won’t even look at me in school. Its hard. I would accept being friends at this point.

Addison Evans

January 19, 2016 at 1:46 am

In personal opinion, , you really did create a massive issue by breaking up with him in the first place, and that will always leave a scar in your relationship between him. It’s devastating emotionally and physically for a girl that a guy loves to break up with him, and then deny his attempts at getting back together afterward. From what i’m thinking, he moved on from the break up. I respect that you attempting to win the man back, but he’s avoiding you because now you’re acting like an obsessive ex-girlfriend. Sadly, i’m gonna say that it’s too late to win him back now, he moved on, but you apparently haven’t.

jackie

December 14, 2015 at 3:29 am

Hi there, I was with my ex for just over a year and a half and broke up with him because i felt the relationship was changing, he was really devastated by the breakup, and after 2 months of being broken up I gave it another chance. We were then “seeing each other” for approximately another 9 months but he didn’t want to make it official again, in case i broke up with him again even though we were a couple just without the label.

I got really fed up with the situation and ended it and he was even more upset this time and really wanted me to give it another chance but i wouldn’t. We then both went away overseas (not together) and when we were both back which would’ve been 6 months since I ended things again, he asked if we could go for dinner etc, i agreed and we had a nice time but i was still unsure about trying things again as i still was “finding myself” (now that I’m in this situation, its hard to remember the reasons why i wasn’t willing to try) anyway, he called me one night telling me how much he loved me, how i made him a better person and how he only wants to be with me etc, but i still did nothing. It has now been about 2-3 months since then and now he is with someone else.

I don’t understand how he could have said those things and has now moved on. Unfortunately it has made me realise how much i do love him and want to be with him, but he just says hes finally starting to be happy without me and doesn’t want to take steps back and is moving on. I’ve read your article and have made some of those mistakes by calling him and messaging him but i am trying to do the 30 day rule but just feel like its going to push him closer to her and i can tell her really likes her and has probably forgotten about me. Is there anything I can do? Thank you!

kimberly

December 12, 2015 at 5:33 am

Thanks for your insight. I’m sure it has assisted many in reclaiming their exes. I’m in a rather strange situation where I want to communicate with my ex boyfriend, but not get back together with him. It has been almost 3 or 4 months of NC. He hasn’t contacted me and I haven’t contacted him. Whenever I see him at school he gives me the saddest face as if everything is my fault and personally, I’m beginning to feel a little guilty. I just want to set some of his insecurities straight and apologize for my part. I want no relationship. It would make me feel better to at least discuss things. How do you suggest I go about this or should I just let him be?
    ~Kim