741 thoughts on “When NOT To Use The No Contact Rule On Your Ex Boyfriend”

1. Katrina

February 27, 2016 at 1:57 pm

My boyfriend just broke up with me one week ago. We lived together and I am currently 6months pregnant with our child. To be honest I never even seen this breakup coming. We did not have issues in our relationship. I will however say everything g happened so fast for us but regardless we had that relationship that everyone envied. I’m completely thrown by this and I’m hurt he walked out on us. I would’ve never imagined him doing this, as he wasn’t this type of neglectant man to me and our unborn baby. He already spoiled her with gifts all the time and she’s not even here yet. At first he gave me no reason but said some hurtful things like you’re not good enough for me, I just don’t want you anymore, and this is done forever. Again out of nowhere. Then a couple of days ago he told me it was mostly stress but he still loves me. Well as hard as it is and as much as I miss him I decided to do NC on him which I just started a couple of days ago. My question is since I’m 6 months pregnant with his daughter and this is a high risk pregnancy, would it be fair to do a 30 day NC on him. Even if he tries to communicate with me?

1. EBR Team Member: Amor

February 28, 2016 at 8:05 am

Hi Katrina

the baby is first priority.. If he wants to talk listen..but don’t argue.. let him prove his words while you remain calm.. Give him space but first mostly give yourself space away from stress for the baby.. Think of what’s fair for the baby right now, not for him..

2. Sophie

February 21, 2016 at 4:17 pm

My boyfriend and I split 1 year ago… I found him texting a number of other women around 30 he was not sorry for this an always blamed it on friends etc. I was so upset I could not talk about this with him he knew he was destroying me. Everyone time we would argue he would block me for 3/4 days at a time when I would get anxiety and message him hundreds of time abuse until he would block me. He went on holiday and never spoke to me again only blocked me on every social media site etc we argued non stop for the past year now he would like to be friends every time we try to be friends I lose my head and message him constantly until he blocks me. Is it too late for the no contact rule I do want to get back with him but I don’t know if he will he says I am physco after I message him non stop till he blocks me on what’s app I message etc. I need time to forgive him and work out what I want

1. EBR Team Member: Amor

February 22, 2016 at 11:09 am

Hi Sophie,

Just to make it clear, you want to do no contact to move on from him?

3. Gami

January 17, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Hi Chris, I live in a city far from family and my ex and I have been in a long distance relationship for over 2.5 years. He wanted to find out if I was ok and make sure I am alive/not hospitalized because he is worried about me. I just started week 2 of no contact. I assume it’s ok to respond to let him know I’m ok, is that correct? If so, how should I respond? Responding “I’m ok” seems curt and not inducive towards leaving a positive feeling in him, but responding also indicates I’m purposely not contacting him.. Thanks for your help.

1. EBR Team Member: Amor

January 18, 2016 at 9:34 am

Hi Gami,

Are your friends in any social media platform? You can post there some of your activities, it’s one way of indirectly showing you’re ok

4. Lesly

January 10, 2016 at 5:40 pm

my ex and I have been in a real beautiful and flawless but long distance relationship for 6 months. He broke up with me due to his depression, he said that it stopped him from loving me. I ve been in a NC periode for 16 days, but broke it because he contacted me, Ikept tye discussion friendly, but not emotionnal. I believe that theNC rule is not suitable in a long distance, yet short relationship. Please correct me if i am wrong. What is your advice ?

1. Mel

February 1, 2016 at 2:49 am

I understand this. I have been worried about my ex who broke things off with me during a depressed state saying he needs time to think about things. I was seriously worried he was suicidal last weekend, and I broke NC to check on him (In this case, he only lives 5 minutes away). While he was “ok,” he had been on a bender the night before, texted me drunk and vague, and it worried me. I think it’s ok if your intentions are truly for his mental and physical well-being. I considered having a friend or his mother check on him, but I didn’t want to worry anyone else since he is very private about his issues. If you’re a praying person, I suggest taking some time to pray or meditate on it with him at the center of your concern, as opposed to your own feelings. Good luck, and please let me know how things work out!

2. EBR Team Member: Amor

January 17, 2016 at 9:40 am

Hi Lesly,

The no contact rule is not tailored for everybody. It can be flexible. But you did great even though you didn’t complete it, it doesn’t mean you failed. He’s in depression and you not contacting him for a while can help him too and how you replied to him is awesome. So go with your gut while also taking in some of our advices

5. Girl

January 3, 2016 at 10:16 am

What if I am doing NC and my ex boyfriend asked me to clear and remove away my stuffs from his house?

Can I ignore him and contact him after the NC is over?

I was very needy before break up and I begged continuouy I don’t think I should break the NC …

Should I ignore his text ?

1. EBR Team Member: Amor

January 19, 2016 at 9:28 am

Hi GIRL,
      Yeah. Ignore it for now. It might be his way to check on you

6. Tamara

December 29, 2015 at 9:23 pm

my ex and i communicate through skype. should i stay offline for 30days?

7. Anonymous

December 7, 2015 at 4:40 am

My boyfriend and i have been together for 10 long unhappy years. I was 20, he was 30 at the time when our eyes met across our local pub. The first time I saw him he was unkept and scruffy with long black hair, beard and his army jacket but that seemed to appeal to me at the time. I was a little Rock chick and in serious rebellion mode.

When he asked me to visit him at his place I thought sure as I found him intriguing and wanted to find out more about him. All i can say is i was completely shocked and horrified by what I discovered when he accepted me in though his front door. He turned out to be a hoarder of the worse kind, I mean my dreams and fantasies of this guy were crushed when I realised he was super lazy and super unhygienic! He kept 6 cats, 3 large bosc monitors (in filthy cages you couldn’t actually see though the vivs glass) 1 MASSIVE common boa snake (again in filth) the cats were allowed to use the house as a toilet and he was happy to walk through the mess and not blink an eye. He would hoard all his rubbish to the point where you couldn’t see the floor/sofas. The kitchen was diabolical with what you would expect from this kind of person!
    I quickly realised he lived with his 80 year old disabled auntie who was incontent and would also use the house and a toilet through no fault of her own she was mentally disabled.
    When he finally agreed to show me his bedroom it was so packed with all his crap it barricaded his door and he had to force the door open (I mean seriously)!! The stuff behind his door was a tidal wave of boys toys!!! Marvel super hero stuff/DC comic toys!!! Just WHY???
    I came to realised he also lived with his stoner brother who was equally as disgusting as this man I seemed to be so fond of.

Even after all these horrifying discoveries my young, nieve mind thought I can help this man! I can get him straight, tidy his place, make him see life can be better than this. So I stuck with it. I grew to love him but I also dispised him! So right hindsight is a total batch! He is not capable of such change! Hes been this way since his mum, nan, grandad died when he was 21 who left him sole carer so his disabled auntie! So I get it, he was alone very young and massively depressed. But does it really justify his downfall?? I don’t know I still have my parents so I can’t comment. I would like to think I would keep my insanity enough to keep clean house and body after the mourning process of loved ones??

Any 5 years later I’m still with him arguing like cat and dog but I’m pregnant with his little daughter I said this situation has to change NOW! We stripped the house down deep cleaned and redecorated. Stoner brother OUT auntie was placed in a home at this point anyway. So we had babies room ready all seemed pleasant. But that dirty hoarder monster still lurks in him. I’m lucky if he would shower once a week?? Brush his teeth EVER!!!!!!

2 years after our daughter is born I’m pregnant again, we planned this one it’s a boy. I didn’t want my daughter to be an only child my son was more like a gift to her, not for my boyfriend and i?! At this point I’m growing wiery of his ways. I may as well have 3 children. He’s incapable of cleaning himself up and enjoying life to its maximum!

I’m really done this time. I left him iv packed my stuff drove 200 miles me and the kids are living with my parents now.

Im worried for him. Because he needs us to survive?? What else can I do? Iv tried to get through to him but he just doesn’t get it. ?

1. Chris

December 7, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Thanks for the name change wasnt sure if i were able to edit post.
      Not unless I ask him too, and even then he moans. Yeah I’m sure this is the right thing to do, a huge weight has been lifted and I’m ready to start a new chapter.

December 7, 2015 at 3:43 pm

I changed your name because it was showing your email and I didn’t want that out there for people to see.

Man he seems like he needs to take care of himself a bit more. He doesn’t even shower?

8. Pauline

November 23, 2015 at 10:59 am

Hello Chris,
    I was with my ex boyfriend for a 1 year. He broke up with me more than a month ago and went abroad to figure out what he wants from life and improve his financial situation. During our relationship he had some problems with jealousy and luck of trust. There was no reason for this.
    Few months ago he said he feels to insecure to tell me that we’re going to be together forever&ever.I’m 27 he’s 33 so we’re not teenagers anymore and I thought we could create something strong.
    He always needed his space,we lived separately but I felt he didn’t give me enough attention. On the other hand all the moment we had were amazing and I have so many good memories.
    Anyway…he left me saying that he has to be on his own till the rest of his life and he’s not able to live with anyone.Now…I love him and it’s hard for me to let him go like this.We talk after a break up but it was too painful.He started saying “we have to get over it…it’ll be easier with time”.After a phonecall I decided to cut the contact. It’s a biggest nightmare.It’s been 4 day and yesterday he send me a sms that he’s thinking about me,about my sweet face and kind eyes…that he wish he could have changed and he hope I’ll forgive him one day.I didn’t reply.
    My question is what should I do?I want him back but I don’t know if it’s even possible and should I keep using NC rule in that case? Looking forward for your answer.

9. Tyler

November 15, 2015 at 3:45 pm

So, he broke up with me on a Saturday I cried and you’d him I don’t agree that we should break up. Later that day I texted him and said it was a great idea and that may we can fix our problems trough friendship( like he wanted to) then I canceled on us hanging out link we have spoke of over the ephemeral and stopped texting me for about 5 days in the year
    time he text me twice and I did not reply
    The other day I sent him a link to a video about getting ears pierced and asked him if he was ready it was something we were going to do together, I was worried he would do it with out me and when the video popped up in guess I thought it was a sign.
    I acted nonchalant and ended the conversation with I’ll look some place up sometime (as if it was not important to me) unfortunately he did not reply this time and now I’m worried Ibroke the no contact rule AND did not properly end the conversation I started
    Am I ok? We go to college together I sreally him almost every day he still likes my stuff on Facebook and instagram and says Hi to me in a flirty voice and it’s annoying.

10. Keyana

November 12, 2015 at 4:53 pm

In regards to the exchanging things… What if my ex is completely ignoring me and he has my televisions, blu ray DVD player and all of my movies? What should I do then?

November 19, 2015 at 5:28 am

How have you tried contacting him? Only through text?

11. Emily

November 2, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Hi there!

I just wanted to say Thankyou very much for this website! I implemented the 30 day no contact rule on my military ex boyfriend and we are now back together!

However, while our new relationship is going great I am well aware that he has left me once before, therefore I am wondering if you have any advice to keep him interested!

I genuinely feel better than I have ever been, working out, eating healthy, new job! I am truly at my best, but there is still that niggling of worry at the back of my head that he could always leave again.

If you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it!!! You’re fantastic!!!!!

Emily ?

12. Elisa

October 9, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Thank you for all you do on this site and all the time you take to read and answer each comment.
    Me and my boyfriend broke up 5 days ago because he told me that he doesn’t love me anymore but he feels for me something that he could never feel for any other woman. We’re living together. I started NC basically ignoring him. We haven’t talked until today when he kissed me on the cheek while I was still sleeping. I woke up and didn’t say anything. And when I came back home he told me he wanted to talk. I had to answer and told him I don’t want to talk no. He said ok. Did I break NC by answering? And what does his behaviour mean? I’m confused.
    Thank you again.

13. Joanna

September 9, 2015 at 11:42 pm

How do you get someone back who leaves just because they wanted more sex? Mine was already with someone new the same week he left me. We were together 11 years. It has been a month and i only contact him about splitting our stuff and his daughter. He even told his mom he left because of not enough sex. I had no clue he was leaving until he told me goodbye. Now he wants us to be friends.

14. Tiffany

September 8, 2015 at 12:49 am

What if my ex is being a text gnat but it’s neither positive or negative. For an example, he calls 5 times and sends to texts saying “hey” and “Tiffany”. Is it ok to break the NC rule then?

1. james williams

October 14, 2015 at 10:01 pm

if your the right Tiffany’ thank you for doing it , my emotions were out of control. its one of the worst thing i have been through, hope you can forgive me.

15. Annie

September 7, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Alex and I broke up last week. We live together and he is deciding to move out. Over the course of our relationship (1 1/2 yrs), we’ve both turned into nasty versions of ourselves. We’ve both done bad things, and I’ll be the first to admit that I did a horrible job reminding him of how great he was. He in turn became short tempered with me, and began pushing me away.

One day, out of the blue, he’s made up his mind that he’s leaving and wants nothing to do with me, and is hesitant to say anything hopeful about our future. I did the “don’t” and tried fixing the problem and convincing him that although some separation would be good, breaking up wasn’t necessary. I know I shouldn’t have, and now we still have 2 and 1/2 weeks left before he moves over an hours drive away, and he says he realizes how much of a b**** I’ve been and wants nothing to do with me. He also tells my friend that he doesn’t care that he’s hurting me, because “being heartless is better than feeling heartache”.

I’m terrified that him leaving angry will ruin any chance at a future. Because he’s moving so far away, it isn’t possible do accidental run-ins. And he is the one so adamant about a permanent NC that I’m afraid NC won’t work. What should I do?

16. Mary

August 30, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Hello Chris,
    During no contact, if you have your ex on whatsapp/facebook messenger/other messaging services, should you hide your online status from them so they kinda wonder where you are, or should you continue to let them see you’re online so they know you’re in contact with other people but not them?

Thanks!

1. Sally

September 2, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Hey Chris!
      Why would you recommend we hide that we’re “online” during NC?

(Also, sorry Mary but you can’t turn “online” off on whatsapp, so maybe if it’s essential that we appear “offline”, don’t use it for a while?)

Thanks for all your advice and blogs Chris!

September 2, 2015 at 3:58 am

I would hide it.

17. Mariana

August 21, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Hello Chris!

My ex ended our LDR nearly 3 months ago due to the emotional, financial and time-related stresses. During the break up he told me he hopes we live closer to each other some day, several times.
    I hadn’t heard of NC or you until 2 days ago, but the few times I didn’t contact him for a week or two he came running, telling me how great I am, how much he misses me, etc and then wen’t cold after 2 days every time
    In case it matters: My friend saw him on a dating app a few weeks ago and it’s likely he’s at least talking to other people if not casually dating.

HERE’S THE INTERESTING PART:
    He’s moving to my city in early to mid September to start a new job!
    He found out last week and messaged me straight away. He told me how much he misses me, how great I am and how excited he is about living closer to me. We talked for a few days in a row (5-6?) and then he went cold again!

I hate to be the 1000th woman to ask this but:
    a. What’s his deal?
    b. Is it too late for me to implement NC?

August 25, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Did you read the post on LDR’s? Also it doesn’t sound like you’ve done no contact. He knows your there anytime he wants just like a toy so he’s going to play with you. He doesn’t value you, you have to teach him to do that. I think the NC will work if you do it right. It’s not to late.

18. iris

August 19, 2015 at 12:38 am

Hey chris!!

So first off i would like to say how much i am a fan! I hope u have ur popcorn ready bc this is a doozy! I need some of your great advice & some praise & polish of my master plan. Feel free to critique bc the TRUTH does not bother me.

So here it goes……

My name is iris & i had to break up wit my ex boyfriend this past march for him cheating. Typical , i know. I am fed up with his “flirtatious” ways and as far as my knowledge goes, this is his first time cheating since we “officially” been together. Alot of bad things hes done he did when we were on our “off” days … In other words we werre broken up so i technacially had no say so. But whenever we were broken up we we would of course be mad at each other for a few days i would chase him and we would be back at the old us….still having sex and spending time as if we wasnt just at each others throats. Not only is he my ex, but we also share a beautiful baby girl together and she loves her father & so do i but i cant keep letting well “allowing” him to mistreat me & betray my trust. RIGHT NOW the status of our relationship is we had gotten intp a tiff ovee pampers. Its a little more deeper than that but i didnt have money & i was forced to ask my childs father. I sent him a text asking if he could buy some . mind you, we already had tension goin on between us bc according to my ex i am “crazy”. And i send alot of text messages when im upset at him. Long story short he kept ignoring me when i asked him what time did he plan on bringing the pampers and i was upset abt that he can t simply give me a time barely even a response and that makes me angry when it comes to our child. Next thing u know im telling him to stay away from me and never speak to me unless its about her on top of stuff he did to me 3 years ago on top of a bunch of other stuff im still hurt about. He replies back in text “i hate you” then goes viral on his facebook and makes a mean status in reference to his “bm (baby mama)”. I was very hurt by this bc i am 100% against letting the world know about our problems especially on sociwl networks where his groupies are. Instead of retaliating, i blocked alot of his females friends they lurk on my page for info and i deactivated my fb so i won’t be tempted to post an “emotional status” throughout the mist of this i had already started the no contact challenge so i had to start over. I am now on day 5 & i must say i am DETERMINED TO SUCCEED! WHY!? Bc i am fed up at his lack of commitment and not puttting in time for our child as much as i do. And he used to be a great dad but it seemed like when i dumped him, he started to become a part time father which he would spend time with her less and get her less. Idk if it was out of spite towards me or not but it wasnt wise bc i am single young mother who struggles financially and pays for college out of pocket so i was forced to put him on childs support. Its so sad bc he and i are really happy in marital bliss when we arr happy but if i go thru his phone and see him texting abother female thats when all the drama starts. Sept. 4would make it our 4 year anniversary if we was together but were not. I am obviously desperate upset and hurt which is why im doing 45,days of not contacting him for anything. I completely ended all ties as well (hanging out and sex) bc both of us would get in our feelings and it became complicated bc he would start asking me back out to be with him and say things like he wants his family back but i reject him bc i dont trust him. Idk if hes just trying to get some act right bc we have child support court on sept. 2 or he really misses us. whatever the case is… I know that i wont have any slip ups on the no contact challenge. He has already tried callin but i never answered. I only respond to texts if hes asking to get our daughter. However i really want him to chase me. It would be nice for once to see him trying to pursue me again like he did before we first got together. I already made up my mind that this is worth it bc i still love him. I think about all day and night and i miss him but since i have such a busy schedule and im a mom , thinking about him and missing him doesnt really take much out my day which is great bc i try staying busy to keep my mind off of “us”. My 45 day is mainlt focused on me healing bc i hate when i get in my feelings about the relationship. Once i complete my 45,days i will then go into getting him to miss me by using the seduction technique. Of course i can’t look a mess whenever he gets our baby . 🙂 ive been eating better, working out and shopping and although its only day 5 i have to stay prepareed. I already know that I have my work cut out foe me bc my ex can have reactions like being stubborn and angry. Lets just say when we argue he normally has a behavior. Lol which validates to me that he still cares. My biggest concern is he finally got his own place and he has yet told me the new address…. Will he ever give it to me or will he use his mom as a mediator for us when it comes to.him getting our child??? Again, we have beem brokem up since march but april-aug we had slip ups of fooling around and doing “family outings” off and on and all that stopped two weeks ago. We havent spoke about our baby at all since aug. 13. I can garauntee you that im a KAI but most importantly im growing into becoming a new and improved iris whos goimg to get her ex to first chase, prove himself worthy of being first a great father then proving himself of being able to commit. Once he shows all that on top staying on top of his own life like being able to KEEP this new apartment of his i may consider us moving into a whole new apartment together. Like i already have my game plan mapped out but first i have to heal! I want to! Im using these 45 days on work ing on myself to the point i won’t even have to even bring up what he has done in the past. And of course not randomly call him and ask for sex. Yes our love in the bedroom is quite magical. Whivh is why our daughter is here. Im sorry tmi. But when u subtract his lies and hoes we have the perfect little family. He has apologized over the same stuff over & over again & my problem i let him off way too easy & way too soon. Not this time! I wont be the fool.this time! Let the games begin…. Love is a battlefield ?

September 12, 2015 at 1:01 am

Sorry for the late response…

So, any reason for why you are preferring the 45 days instead of the traditional 30?

2. iris

August 19, 2015 at 12:52 am

Im already completed my implantation task… Although i have 25% chance of succeeding at this my intuition tells me 100% and im will ing to do whatever it takes so day 3 sarah vs kai bring it on!!!!!

19. kate

August 16, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Hey,nice to discover your site… I have a little question: several years ago i lived abroad and i knew one guy, for one year we flirted and playing and it’s seemd like we were both in love but i was afraid and also too manipulative too and he left me and double punished. i became needy and everything possible, answer was all ignorng, Now since monthes I live in the same city and i asked him for help but he ignored me,he knew that I had maybe feelings nowdays (but I discovered he helped me secretly.) he had like friend-girlfriend and I decided to forget him,I have really funny and interesting life(now it’s seems like NC rule haha). I don’t want to make any status or comments about him on FB but 3-4 days ago I coutch him breaks my FB and it can only him,he checks with whom and when, what I do and I don’t like this,he’s really controlling.I upload a photo with status that it’s not allowed and now nothing is possible anymore and later I deleted it. I know soon or later he’ll come to contact but What can I do with this controlling and all those things ??
    thanks

1. kate

August 17, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Is strict NC also for 30 days? I had him out of my had, I think from 25th July and I used to think that I would forget him forever but your site made me decide to change my tactic.

August 17, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Yes 30 days. Your welcome!

3. kate

August 17, 2015 at 9:23 pm

I did it, but it doesn’t help I guess.. becasue I had years ego this situations, he knows computer very well and in old times I had a problems because I spoke with him another thing and another with my friends and he know in some cases I lied him. Now I check always what I write and I don’t say to anyone if I have some feelings or blah blah and I try to use Fb not too often.
      Really I read here much and I think maybe one most important problem we had always was that I was too emotional and Gnat and negative about my feelings and when I wrote him that I needed help it was also nice huge SMS and Voice mail also,no answer but I lived for one week with our matual friend and he is neighbour and I heard at night outside the home friends of him was speaking all thing what I wrote him and loughed at me and him himself like my intagramphoto where it can see my breast,reall ironic!!
      I can good flirting and I’m confidence and i had never problem with it,even if I’m not a perfect and I can be witty at chating but with him it was always too much because he left me without a word and he knows he has cards.

in five days or so I would like to write him sms,but I’m not sure which would be better, some joke sms,remembering sms,some short help asking sms or which?
      do you think that we have real chances to get together or to recover our relationship?
      thanks

August 17, 2015 at 9:35 pm

I think you will have to do strict no contact and work on the “neediness” before you can get back together. That should help your relationship a great deal. Also try to calm down with social media a little.

5. kate

August 17, 2015 at 1:04 pm

yeah I want him to stop checking and controlling me..even if I say to him I like him or not he does it anyway.(just sometimes harder)
      I read other pages of you and now I know we both love these mind games….
      How it’s possible that he stops this controlling and comes to action?

August 17, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Can you change your passwords?

August 16, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Im having a hard time following, what is your question?

20. Marah

August 13, 2015 at 3:40 pm

hello Chris. I need an advice. I am in long distance relationship and I want him back. I lost him because I said hurtful words to him and I think he get really hurts. He leaves without any single word. We never met. But we love each other. We talked 2-3 times a day. I said I will find someone that I deserve someone near me. But I don’t really meant it. I want to take back my words but I don’t know how. I started NC today and He started not contacting me 5 nights to now. I don’t know if I’m required to do the NC since it’s my fault. He was not supposed to leave me like this because it’s my fauilt also. I turned off my phone for a night and he’s still writing to me and when I woke up it started that I can’t reach him anymore. All accounts that he has was deleted. I keep messaging him through Skype, sms, and email but I get nothing. Also not answering my calls. But on the 2nd day he turned off his phone when I called. He really loves me, and I know he will miss me but I don’t know after what I did to him. Am I required to do the NC? He’s a soft man. He’s so sensitive. I don’t know the best thing to do to him. Sometimes I think telling sweet messages will make him smile and come back, and since he is sensitive if I do NC to him and keep his pride up. How if really not come back to me because maybe he will thinking that I really found somebody else. I need an advice. I want him so badly. It’s hard to start and end the day thinking. Because of any words from him. Should I text him that I was really not meant those words? Do I have to say how much he’s important to me?

1 14 15 16 17 18