235 thoughts on “What Does It Mean When My Ex Randomly Texts Me?”

ConfusingTexts

June 19, 2016 at 1:41 am

Hi Amor,
    My ex seems to be sending me flirty boredom texts. As Chris suggested I use to them to keep the conversation interesting. End it early etc. But here is the thing with his boredom texts. He flirts and uses sexual innuendos a lot but then he says “oh I’m just keeping you entertained until you find a new man”. Is this somehow saying he is doing this because he feels bad for me? I did do NC and started building rapport. At first he used to be angry for no reason at my text but now the texts have become much more friendlier and he initiates them a lot. So I am not quite sure why he was text me and keep making it seem like he is doing me a favour to help me move on. Is this a bad sign?
    ConfusingTexts

Confusing texts

June 21, 2016 at 11:16 am

Hi Amor,
      Thanks a lot for your reply. Appreciate it! Yes you are right. I am getting sloppy about working out. I should do it more. Perhaps I did not heal as well and need more time for myself. Most of the exchanges have been positive and fun these days between me and my ex. We did meet a few times n they were fun and flirty but casual meet ups.

I actually have some questions about dating others that I will just ask here and deviate from the topic a bit. I am finding it extremely difficult to date again. I am actually seeing someone from another department of the organization I work in for the last 2 months (broke up with my ex four months ago) but ofcourse I keep it more light and casual with my colleague. Now I have been very hesitant to tell my ex directly that I am seeing someone. I did hint it as “oh I have plans today to go to the zoo with my colleague” etc. but I ended up denying they are dates when he asked if they were in the fear of losing him. He said he was taking partner dance lessons hoping to meet other girls but couldn’t meet anyone.

I am finding it especially hard to date or really build any kind of rapport with other potential guys especially after reinitiating contact with my ex after a month of NC. He sends very frequent and flirty texts about an imaginary future together or a reference of something from the past or of some imaginar sexual escapade etc. and then says like I said before its to keep me entertained. Before my colleague I briefly dated two other guys (one for a month who even came to a holiday with me and my friends during the first NC and asked me to be his girlfriend and I felt awful turning him down but I just didn’t connect) and another for just a few dates. Should I just directly tell my ex I am seeing someone else and not to send me flirty texts with such content? I don’t want to push him away completely and I still do want my ex back. I don’t really want or need to build rapport with anyone else but I just feel concerned that I am unable to let in or connect with any other potential guys and keep comparing them to my ex in my mind. I also feel a little bitchy stringing along other guys and never connecting with them on any level. Should I do a NC again with my ex just to let myself heal ?
      Eagerly awaiting your response
      Confusing texts

June 21, 2016 at 9:58 pm

if you’re done with nc. just continue connecting with your ex.. and then just go out with your friends instead of doing one on one dates so, you’re not confused.

June 21, 2016 at 6:35 am

Hi Confusing texts,

hmm.. could be just an excuse.. have you continued the activities you started nc to improve yourself? Are there more positive exhchanges between you? I think you should start dating others as a jealousy move too

Rachel

June 18, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Hey Chris and Amor,
    I’ve posted on this site before. To recap- my ex and I were together for 5 years. He got a case of GIGS and broke up with me. He is now seeing his coworker and has admitted to me recently that the two of them have nothing in common and they always fight (apparently she’s extremely jealous of me and the fact that he still keeps in contact with me). My ex sends a lot of mixed signals, texting me one day about how he misses me then the next day boasting about his new girl (who he refuses to post pictures of or make “Facebook official”)… I get the sincere impression that he is confused. My question is how do I handle his mixed emotions? Him and I have had sincere conversations but still he doesn’t know what he wants.
    Thanks,
    Rachel

Rachel

June 21, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Amor,
      Unfortunately, I have used jealousy in the past and it completely backfired. It’s been 5 months since the breakup and I’ve feel like I’ve tried every option. Now I keep thinking that my hands are somewhat tied because I’be tried everything. It also comes down to the fact that if he breaks things off with this girl it will 1. Get awkward at work and 2. He will lose a whole group of “friends.” I don’t think he’s willing to make the sacrifice. Maybe this situation is a little helpless lol.
      Thanks again,
      Rachel

June 19, 2016 at 12:32 am

maybe he’s trying to make you jealous.. try to go out in dates but don’t post too forward pictures of the date..

Meagan

June 18, 2016 at 7:48 am

Hi, I done NC rule twice and both times he went crazy and I just start talking to him again… My mistake, but after second time I told him that I don’t want him as a friend and now I won’t talk to him like… ever. Since then there is no attempt of communication with me…
    I had to break NC rule after two week as I found out about illness which could affect him to,, but U kept talk just about this and didn’t contact him since (not sure if to start counting again NC rule or keep it going, but soon will be 30 days and still no sign of him…)
    Not sure what to do, gonna read your book but I feel like I totally blow my chances by the first couple times and that I told him I wont walk to him…
    I know he got tinder etc, he probably became a player but he doesn’t fit to your description as he never ever pushed me to having sex with me and actually It was me most of the time trying to get any.
    Maybe that is what scared him off…
    Anyway, is there anything I can do?
    I am still thinking I probably should keep NC rule up to 45 days and then try my luck?
    Or its a time to move on as I blow my chances…?

Meagan

June 19, 2016 at 8:53 am

Hi, no te 2nd NC I broke after a week and then We met he said he wants to be just friends and then I just said that its not enough for me and I have to get over him and I told him that I won’t talk to him ever.
      We spoke about my illness after two weeks from the day I told him I won’t talk to him but we just spoke about that and that is it. He doesn’t try to get in touch with me… In couple days will be 30 days since then, his birthday is coming and I am not sure what to do.
      To be honest I have feeling like I won’t have any chances to get him back. The first two times of NC rules were going perfect but I wasn’t strong enough. Maybe by now we could be together.

June 21, 2016 at 3:45 pm

don’t rush it.. if his birthday is after nc, then it’s ok to greet him.. continue the activities you started during nc and then slowly build rapport with him.

June 19, 2016 at 12:05 am

Hi Maegan,

sorry I don’t understand.. you said you broke the 2nd bc too after two weeks right? what happenend after?

June 17, 2016 at 11:10 am

the nc wouldn’t have the same effect if it’s done always.. take advantage of the time that he always replies and then avoid texting him in the evenings.. it’s ok to take a rest every now and then but a full nc depends in the situation

ch

June 17, 2016 at 2:50 am

So my ex broke up with me three months ago and recently have been texting me saying things like ” how are you doing?” and “youre beautiful” I haven’t answer any of his text nor do I plan to. After the last text I blocked him because I don’t want him in my life at all. My question is why do you think he’s texting me when he broke my heart months back?

June 18, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Hi Ch,.
      it looks like he’s interested in you

J

June 16, 2016 at 6:25 am

My ex of two years, texted me, asked for my email address, and said he found something of mine and wanted to send it to me.
    It was a three year old resume?????
    I asked if he was just trying to stay in contact with me and his reply was that he was just being nice.
    This is the guy who abruptly ended a 10 year marriage and wanted nothing to do with me.
    Huh????

Alexandra

June 15, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Hi, I had a 1 year and a half relation and my boyfriend broke up with me 2 weeks ago because he feels there’s no connection between us, that I don’t understand him, that he feels we’re on different state of minds, he is jewish and i’m from romania and he wants to marry a israelian girl that lived in his country and shares the same values and customs and she understand the life here, he wants the grandparents of his children to be in the same country, he doesn’t want to wait me 5 years till I finish my conversion to marry me because he wants children in 2-3 years (jewish are not allowed to have children before marriage and he wants jewish children), and he sad he’s in peace with his decision, with our breaking up, and he asks me to understand him because I’m not for him and he can’t lie to himself anymore, that he gave all he could in this relation… He told me this very calm and rational…

This is the second time he breaks up with me, first time it happened last year after 4 months of relation. We’re still living in the same house, how can I deal with the test messages that he sends me during day? If I don’t answer he asks me in the evening why I didn’t answer, why should I tell him?

June 17, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Hi Alexandra,

I think the real reason is the first reason you said in your first comment, when he said the problem is communication and that he thinks you don’t understand him because if it’s really religion, it doesn’t match up with what you said that you’ve always said you were open to converting. So, it looks like he’s just using that as an excuse..

Do nc first.. Improve yourself emotionally, physically, socially and when you get to talking again, don’t bring up past issues. Just concentrate on building rapport again with him.

Gina

June 15, 2016 at 12:12 am

I broke up with my boyfrnd bcoz he was not making any commitment even after 3 years. I felt kind of used even though I loved him and he loved me. I tried to make him understand that I want his commiment, and although he wanted me in his life he did not want to commit. So ultimately I put an end to it and moved on. Altho I did not love anyone else and cud not date anyone else. I was single and was not emotionally prepared for any other relationship. However, my ex wud check up on me and send a mail each month or wud msg me, to which i wud never reply. After almost an year of break-up last night he sent me 4 mails, He wrote to me that he missed me and that it is painful for him, and that he loves me still and respects me a lot. He wrote down each and every memory we had and a pic from our past. Pls tell me his motivation and why is he sending me such a mail, even tho he humiliated me once in front of my frnd when my frnd asked him, “what are his motivations for me”.

June 17, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Hi Gina,

do you want to move on from him or do you want to give him a chance? because if you want to move on from him, just ignore him. If you’re really curious, ask him why he’s doing what he’s doing.

Gene

June 14, 2016 at 10:00 am

I am currently on NC now for almost 3 weeks and my ex has been texting me but not everyday, text msgs such as Hey and my name. However in that span of NC he’s also posting a girl on FB. And he seems inlove.he also posts song lyrics but i doubt it was for me. We were together for 2 years and those were a majority of happy memories. It was just this year we had a rough one. He also likes my fb posts, tweets, pictures and views my snapchat stories. I really want us to be together again but it seems like he doesnt pay respect towards me because it was only a month since our break up but he already has a new girl but im not really sure if they’re official already. But if ever he’s happy with her, why does he keep on contacting me? Just yesterday he texted me to reply him and he also called once. Do u think he still has feelings for me? What should i do?

Gene

June 20, 2016 at 5:27 am

I just found out that they’re official. And i think while we were still together he has been dating her. Honestly it hurts but acceptance is a must. If he really loves me, he’ll fight for me and for us but he never did. I had enough this time. I dont trust him anymore. Any advice Amor/Chris? 🙂

June 21, 2016 at 7:08 pm

If I was in your case. I would move on.. What’s your decision?

June 17, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Hi Gene,

don’t reply.. the girl might be a rebound but rught now, he might be wondering why you’re not replyig..that’s good.. that lets him miss you

Danielle

June 13, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Hi, Chris!
    So, here’s my dilemma:
    My ex and I broke up last year, like in late May. We both unintentionally did the “No-contact” rule. We still go to same school, mind you, so we saw each other often (read: saw and not actually talking) and after about twelve months, he found a new girl. Of course , hit me like a ton of bricks, because I love him, and he knows that. My ex told me he doesn’t love me anymore (hence why HE broke up with me) and he just proved his statement by moving on. The thing is, he and I started texting each other recently, and his girlfriend doesn’t know that. So, while we text all friendly, I on the other hand are getting false hope. I was warned not to delve in too deep but….I would say he and I started to text each other daily, and teasingly flirt with each other. I don’t know if it’s mind games, or if that’s just the way he is…but I know his gf won’t be happy about it, I’m not since I truly love him and yet he continues.
    Any advice?
    Thanks!

June 17, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Hi Danielle,

if yo can’t handle the game, don’t play it.. If you still want to try, aim to be the ungettable girl while you’re talking to him

ash

June 12, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Hey guys ,
    Your advices helped me go through my last breakup and I’ve been doing no contact for a month right after the breakup.
    During the no contact , he liked my pictures on facebook and sent me an invitation to use badoo… And recently ( after a month ) he was trying to get my atention by sending me pictures and watching my snaps everyday. I kept ignoring him until he sent me another picture on snapchat with a comment “me with your face” ( he used a snapchat filter to change his face with a picture of mine) . I responded the day after with just a laughing smiley and since he saw it, he disappeared.
    I think he wanted to check if I was mad at him. Do you think I should talk to him or ignore him until he decides to send me an actual text ?
    Thank you again for your advices here !

June 17, 2016 at 9:57 am

Hi Ash,

it’s ok to initiate a text if you want to

A

June 12, 2016 at 8:29 am

I’ve been doing the NC rule and am into my 23rd day. My ex and I were only tgt for less than a month and the cause of our breakup was an argument. My ex kept apologising during our argument but I was adamant and so stubborn and kept going. When I sent him a Long text explaining myself, he told me he was confused and wanted to be single and alone first. He didn’t want a relationship anymore right now. His exact words. I asked if we could remain friends, to which is replied of course. We spoke normally after that and he kept calling me babe and had sent emojis like he did before.
    Basically our arguments were always about him being to busy to meet me. Do you think I still have a shot in getting him back?

June 17, 2016 at 9:30 am

Hi A,

I think so, if you can build up rapport slowly ovwr time

June 12, 2016 at 3:03 am

Hi Jojo,

sorry for the late reply.. Basically it looks like you’re good at what texts to send but you have to work on how you end the convos. You can pre-empt him at what you were doing at the start of the text, like what you did in one of your texts, and then say good bye right after the last high point text you end before he replies.
    And about jealousy, it’s felt when you’re about to lose someone you like.. Of course I know you know that, I just want to assure you that he’s human, he will feel that. Especially if you’ve been maintaining yourself and you kept improving even after nc.. start to go out more with your other friends and be active in posting it.

when he talks about himself all the time, as in all the time and it’s always all about his feelings not just about what he’s doing, then he is using you as emotional support. But humans always like talking about himself, so use that to your advantage.. be his go to girl to one of his interest, so that he would be interested in you or be interested in it so that he would be willing to share

Nkuli

June 11, 2016 at 11:42 pm

I Forget to ask, my ex bf believes strongly in commitment… This bothers me because I am afraid by the time I am done with NC he would have fallen in love with this girl. He goes in deep into a relationship and believe me, this is no excuse for me wanting to end

NC but do you think NC might limit my chances of getting him back? This is our first break up… I feel like I should act quickly.

PLEASE HELP

June 17, 2016 at 7:15 am

Hi Nkuli,

if you react to that, his tactics worked and it got you to chase him.. so stay strong in nc because the onmy reason that you could break it is if he says he’s breaking up with her because he wants to fix things with you

Nkuli

June 11, 2016 at 11:36 pm

I Forget to ask, my ex bf believes strongly in commitment… This bothers me because I am afraid by the time I am done with NC he would have fallen in love with this girl. He goes in deep into a relationship and believe me, this is no excuse foe me to end NC but do you think NC might limit my chances of getting him back? This is our first break up…

3 questions
    1. Is this a rebound relationship?
    2. does that text mean I’ve lost him for good?
    3. Do I have to act quickly by ending NC before he falls in love with the new girl?7

Nkuli

June 11, 2016 at 11:13 pm

My bf of almost a year broke up with me… well I ended things, called him the next day telling him I made a mistake, I apologize and would like us to get back together. uhmmm he suddenly was unsure about us getting back together and was avoiding this matter by being cold, not answering some of my calls and texts for a good week. Then he came to my place asking for his house keys and it hit me that this person is clearly not giving us a chance. I begged and pleaded and it just didn’t seem to work. I just could not how someone could change so drastically overnight, until he told me that on the night I broke up with him he was so HURT… in his vulnerable state, he called an ex he dated 8 years ago, off loaded and well the ex happened to be there to comfort him and she happened to be single and they left together on the night, slept together and they’ve been seeing eachother a lot on that week.

You can imagine how my heart sank. lol…it still feels like a dream. I don’t know if this is a rebound or not as it’s been 3 weeks since our break up and they’re still seeing each other. On the 2 week she posted a picture of their sneakers on fb with the caption “Love has paid me a visit, thank you love” -feeling in love. This was a shock as my ex told me that he hasn’t even told her he loves her but they seem to be moving too fast. Could this be a rebound relationship?

So my ex and I were constantly chatting after our breakup. uhmm the first few days he was basically trying to rub it in that he’s happy and has moved on then the last few days he suddenly the one calling and initiating conversations. Telling me he misses me and thinks about me a lot but can’t have two gfs. To me that showed that he might be a bit confused. He went on by saying we can be really good friends, call, text and go out. I did not really warm up to the friendship idea and told him I need some space and time to accept that he has moved on, so I would like to do the same without him standing in my way. He wasn’t pleased to her this, I asked him to bring a few items that I left at his house he dragged the process (I think he wanted us to be in contact) I finally decided to let him keep them and began NC immediately. I’m currently on Day 6 and this is such a difficult process.

on Day 2 he called me 3 times (twice in the morning and I received another call in the evening) because we did not block each other on social media, he obviously saw I’m ignoring him. (he hasn’t posted any picture of this girl either, I find it weird as she has already posted) Anyway, he called me again on Day 4, it ran for a few sec, almost like he had anticipated that I might not answer. Day 5 he sends a message which was based on a conversation we once had after our break up, he has two beautiful kids and I had a really good relationship with them. So he had promised to bring them over so I can say goodbye to them. This was he’s text “You haven’t answered you cellphone for a number of days now. Wanted to grant you an opportunity you asked for, to say goodbye to the kids. Anyway it’s all good”.

In the types of texts you mentioned I could not identify one that could be similar to this. I am very much confused. It is very formal, can’t really get his mood and feeling from it. if anything It makes me feel like I’ve lost him FOR GOOD. Is this a good or bad sign? should I give up? what should I do? Please help *sigh*

mind games...

June 11, 2016 at 7:33 pm

Could really use some advice…

I have a long history with this guy ( over a year ) and we rarely go without communicating but due to my life ( I have things to “sort out” ) we have stopped talking on occasions. The first time I applied no contact and he came back around day 26 confessing his strong feelings for me. Funny because I was starting to turn a corner and was almost over him. Due to me needing to sort out my issues we have again stopped talking. This time I am set on straightening out my life and we have agreed to go no contact (again)… he contacted me early in the morning on day 5 and he asked if I planned on contacting him anytime soon. I responded to his recent message right away since I happened to be awake. Was that a mistake? I let him know how well I am doing and then he didn’t seem to want to have a conversation anymore and stopped responding (fell asleep). Was he just testing me? He said he was lonely when I asked why he reached out after he woke up and got back in contact. He has threatened to date other women and he is always on dating apps. He gets very angry that I cannot commit to him right now. I am so mad I responded but I only did it because we have arguments about me ignoring him in the past. I miss him so much I ended up calling him after he was very cold in texts and we had a brief interaction. He was nice but seemingly unimpressed with my progress and ended the convo “hope to talk soon”. When I realized it was going to take more on my part to get him back I mentally freaked out. Texted him a few times after the conversation ended. I asked if he was dating other women? After brief and more short reply’s I decided to let him be. Why would he reach out and then turn around to be super cold? I feel like I failed a mind game. He is always really into our conversations. Could he be dating other women and weighing his options. What do I do? How do I turn things around asap?

June 16, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Hi mind games,

set it straight by tellin him youbreally need space for yourself right now and you’ll reach out once you’re ready.. and then restart active nc and be proactive in massive improvements

KR

June 9, 2016 at 7:34 pm

I don’t know what to make of this.

My ex has texted me 3 times in the last week and a half. First, how are you? Then how are things? Then last night, any fun plans for the weekend? I have replied to all three of these messages. The first we had a short text exchange. The second I told him about my weekend and asked about his and he didn’t respond. And then the last, he texted me last night asking me about my plans for this coming weekend. I told him what I was doing and then asked him about his plans. He hasn’t replied. Why is he sending me messages and then ignoring my responses?

Jj

June 21, 2016 at 2:01 pm

My ex seems to be doing this as well. Yet he wasn’t happy when I didn’t respond to his messages? I feel like he’s just making sure I’m hanging around for him.

June 15, 2016 at 8:45 am

Hi Kr,

don’t respond in his next text.. he mightbe testing how you are with him through text

SIobhan

June 8, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Hi! So my boyfriend of 8 months recently broke up with me about two weeks ago, he did the “it’s not you it’s me” but I actually believe him. More than one of our mutual friends have told me that he still seems stressed out or on edge during his day, and I do believe that he is actually going through some stuff. Its been almost two weeks, before I found this website I did do a little bit of begging and asking questions because really he didn’t tell me anything as to why our relationship was ending, there was no build up we were not fighting and we had plans for that week and the next, and honestly to me we were actually doing better than most weeks because we didn’t always have to be talking but we made time for later to catch up about our days. After I found this website I started the NC, but of course being so stupid he texted me after a week and a half asking how I was doing because I guess a friend of mine reached out to him, and I answered( I know stupid). He had asked me how I was doing and to be totally honest I didn’t want to use text message to talk so I suggested FaceTimeing, but he said he had too much work and it would have to be another time, I went on to saying “we havent talked in a couple of weeks and I’d rather answer your question of the phone you know I don’t prefer texting :)” and I’m currently waiting for a response. I’ve been hearing rumors of him and another girl that him and I have actually gotten into little fights about because they would talk kinda flirty, but they were friends before and during our relationship so I’m not sure if I believe the rumors. I plan on ending the conversation in a friendly way if/when he answers and restart the NC but I just want to know if I even have a shot?

Nicole

June 8, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Hi chris,
    I broke up with my ex on June 5th, 2016. just a few days ago. We were together almost 4 years ago and broke up 2 years ago for the same reason. I feel like he doesn’t make me a bigger part of his life. Recently we had started talking about the possibility of marriage. I feel he is commitment- phobic and I am tired of going in circles. The first time we broke up, I did the NC rule and almost exactly a month later he called me and we started dating again. I still care about him and it is killing me that i broke up with him. I am trying to keep strong. My friends and family are telling me leave the relationship be and move n. I am trying to but deep down I can’t let go. He has been texting me, telling me to have a good day and telling me random stuff. I asking with very short answers. Please give me some advice. I am trying my utmost best to invoke the NC rule again.

June 15, 2016 at 9:35 am