218 thoughts on “How To Handle Friends And Family Who Disapprove Of You Getting Your Ex Boyfriend Back”

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

January 7, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Hi Gracie, it is difficult as your age you are still under your parents guardian. If your boyfriend/ex boyfriend is willing to be patient and you show he is a good person they may be less against your relationship.

Bailey

December 4, 2019 at 4:11 am

Ex boyfriend and I had been dating for 5 months. The second month he broke up with me because he thought he rushed into our relationship. Two weeks later we got back together. We have a spark that i’ve never felt before. I love him and he loves me more than anything. About 2 days ago, we broke up again because he is having family issues and didn’t want to drag me along and end up hurting me. My mom is completely against me getting back with him. I love him and I don’t want my mom to get in the way of my relationship. I’m 17 and he’s 17. But i want to keep my relationship with my parents in good standing. I just want them to understand that me and him are okay. They need to let me grow and decide my future. What do i do? Do i not get back with him due to my moms views or respectively ignore them and be with him?

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

December 6, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Hi Bailey, so if you look at this from your mothers view this guy keeps ending things with you which, keeps hurting you. Along with the fact that there is family problems she is not seeing him in a great light right now. If you and he want to get back together you can do, but you are going to have to stop the childish on and off games, or not tell your mother everything while things are only just back on you need to understand that she is only wanting to protect you, you are her child still. Even when you are 17 or 37 your Mam is always going to want to protect you. I would start up dating him slowly again and if he does mess you around and end things, be done with him because it is not good to be in an on and off again relationship when you are still young enough to go and have fun with your friends and not stress over relationships or guys.

Bryan

November 3, 2019 at 3:48 pm

My ex broke up with me last week due to me making a suicide attempt. He had been supportive of my mental illness really well before that and I supported him with his. He said he’s concerned I’ll do it again and his sister has made many attempts (most recent was 2 months ago). I’m sure he had a right to be angry. He said right now his emotions are too raw for us to work things out however he still believes I am the one for him. What do I do?

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

November 9, 2019 at 4:22 pm

Hi Bryan I am sorry thing are so dark for you right now, I do suggest working through therapy and coming out of your dark place before re entering the relationship as it makes it tougher to work through these things when we have someone else to consider. You need to be selfish right now and how to be happy (single) and that is how your relationship, or any relationship is going to work. Even if your boyfriend / ex boyfriend is supportive this event is proof you need to work on yourself first

Megan

October 13, 2019 at 10:44 am

Hi! I hope you can help me. I went out with this guy for 7 months. We were good together. But then we we broke up because I called him out on not being open to me enough. His break up line was that he didn’t know why his feelings were not deep enough to label the relationship. I said the same thing. We thought we were better off as friends. Few months in, we both realize that we really do love each other. He wanted to get back together with me by coming clean about his past: He was holding back because he was scared I’d leave him like his exes when they found out he emotionally cheated in his past relationship. That I would never look at him the same way. But my friends said that the way he broke up with me is unfair and that I should ask for space. They also said I shouldn’t give him a chance anymore. But I can’t help but feel that maybe this time we’ll get it right. I dont know what to do. When we broke up, he went out with the girl once but called it off saying that there wasn’t really anything there in the relationship. I don’t know what to do. We’ve been trying to fix for 2 months now but I’m still hung up over the fact that I might not be the girl he really loves and that by ignoring my friends advice, I would lose them if this guy ever break up with me in the future.

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

October 15, 2019 at 8:58 pm

Hey Megan I think your friends are just worried and looking out for you, but you need to try and work on being happy (single) and see how things develop with your ex slowly. Be cautious and watch his actions not his words when you are building a relationship again and make sure that the other girl who you are worried about is not in the picture

Brittney

October 10, 2019 at 3:14 am

Hello! My ex boyfriend broke up with me abruptly 7 months ago. It’s a long story but it was basically over an issue I had with my house which I had recently purchased. It was an outside environmental issue and he is an engineer so he had a lot of expertise with helping me fix the problem. I feel like I ended up giving up and letting him handle most of the issue. He said it got too stressful to help me and that he knew he was making me feel badly. He also said I should have waited to buy a house so that maybe we could have bought a house together, but we had only been together a few months when I was in escrow. I felt terrible that he basically left me over something that was out of my control and my family and friends were surprised when he broke up with me. Consequently, they absolutely do not like him and have said they never liked him anyways. Although we were apart, we would text each other every now and then. He started texting me more frequently and eventually asked to meet for drinks. Even though I was dating someone else, I agreed and he ended up telling me he was still in love with me. He asked for a second chance and said he has changed and regrets ever doing what he did and that he would never hurt me again. He even showed me a note he prepared to say to my family apologizing. My heart wants to give him another chance, but when I hear my family say I should move on and stay with the person I’m dating, it gives me so much doubt about trying again and shuts me down. It has been multiple times that he has shown up to ask for another chance and I’ve kept saying yes then backing out because of my family’s reaction. After all the rejection and hot/cold reactions from me, he has started dating someone else. He said he hopes I figure things out before it’s too late. Now it feels like an ultimatum and I feel at war with myself. Please help!

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

October 12, 2019 at 8:51 am

Hi Brittney, so even though friend and family love us, they are not going to be the ones who control your happiness. So if your ex is going to be your person who you are happy and in love with then go for it. Because at the end of the day it’s your life not theirs.

Olivia

September 30, 2019 at 8:41 pm

Hello. I am in a bit of a pickle here. None of my friends are supportive of me getting back with my ex and have threatened to “shun” me if I do. The thing is, I have reconciled with him and we have been seeing each other for two weeks now. Everyone thinks I’m still single. I just feel like they’re giving me an ultimatum here. They’re trying to make me choose between him and them. My ex and I have been on and off for three years and this is our third go at things. We have been through a lot together and we were each other’s best friend and each other’s worst enemy at the same time. We were both severely depressed and unmotivated but i was the only one that had enough drive to work so the bottom line is that he freeloaded off of me the entire time. We broke up last time because i told him i was going to live with my mother and that we moved in together too young and too soon into our relationship because i felt that he didn’t have the chance to figure out how to adult and be responsible by himself. We were apart for 8 months and he is working and has a house of his own now. I’m living with my mother and i think if he keeps up being independent like that our relationship could work and he could learn to support a family. My friends do not feel the same at all and it’s just like you said. they see a picture but they haven’t read the whole book. All i know is i’ve never felt a love like this before and i know it sounds like a train wreck but it’s my life. Can’t picture myself having a family or wedding in the future where he isn’t in it. Really looking for some advice here. Thank you for this post it’s the only thing on the internet i could find relating to my issue.

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

October 1, 2019 at 8:38 pm

Hi Olivia, so its a personal experience here. I found Ex Boyfriend Recovery during my break up from my current partner, and my family and friends didn’t want me to go back with him, they couldn’t understand why I would go back to someone who hurt me. But I knew this is the person I wanted to be with so – even though it was awkward and some people were upset with my decision its my life and I do what is best for me.

As long as he wasn’t mentally or physically abusive in any way and you think this is something worth the backlash then go for it. You have to live your life being happy for yourself not for others. Even though they think they know what is best for you, its YOUR decision.

Christina

September 27, 2019 at 7:57 am

So I recently broke up with my boyfriend and then we talked out why we were having communication issues. It wasn’t just his phone but his busy schedule with 8 college classes and 2 jobs. He hadn’t talked to anyone outside of school and work except for me in three weeks. We met on discord about 2 years ago and started a long distance relationship and I found out he had someone before he got with me because of his parents and was still with her when I stepped away and then he talked to me and he broke up with her and we got together in December of 2018 and I broke up with him because I asked others for advice on my relationship because I wasn’t getting replies from him not knowing the situation and those people got involved in my love life bc I asked for advice and told me to break up with him which I did and then we worked things out. And relationships are all about breakups and makeups sometimes. I just wanna know how I should tell my friends that I got back together with him bc they say that even before he got two jobs he hardly talked to me but he has a really bad phone. His phone is the only iPhone 6 that freezes and goes crazy and he can’t really afford a new one. He two jobs are just so he can survive. He has 72 hours of school stuff such as classes and homework and then 40 hours is work and then 46 hours is sleep in a span of 7 days.

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

September 29, 2019 at 8:35 pm

Hi Christina, his schedule is crazy busy, however if you are willing to accept that he doesn’t have that much free time for you that’s your choice, and your friends have to accept that. If you want them to not have an opinion about your relationship this time around I do suggest not complaining to them if things are getting difficult, or if you have one friend who is more of a listening ear than about giving you advice.

Lauren Maas

September 15, 2019 at 6:06 am

Me and my ex broke up about 4 months ago and my parents absolutely hate him because he wasn’t very nice to them or me but we have resolved our issues and want to get back together soon but my parents threatened to kick me out last time I talked about getting back with him and that’s where I need help. How do I get them to accept him enough so I can keep living at home? I’m only 17

1. EBR Team Member: Shaunna

EBR Team Member: Shaunna

September 15, 2019 at 1:50 pm

Hey Lauren, that’s a difficult situation to deal with. My best advise is to speak to your parents about how you feel about him and get your guy to apologise to your parents for behaving badly in the past. If you wanted to be treated as an adult be honest. They may not like the face you’re with him but honesty is the best policy

Meisy

May 15, 2019 at 11:26 pm

My boyfriend and I broke up twice in 2 months after dating for 11months; once because he was worried sick I didn’t tell him I got home safetly one night, and wanted out (no, he didn’t and still doesn’t control me), we talked next morning and I basically calmed him down. But I gave him a warning, that another move like that and I wouldn’t try to fight him. We were done.
    And the second time the next month, he was smelling trouble, and instead of talking to me to fix it or something, he did something similar. He shut himself from me little by little, he pushed me… Till a week he was on call, really stressed out and he decided that he didn’t want to continue. That he was always on a relationships and never alone, and didn’t know if he wanted to continue.
    We lost contact, althought he wasn’t having it and wanted to remain friends; and I asked him to let me be. Before we closed things up, I pointed out (nicely) he needed help, he admited it and said he was going to look for help; and that was it. I didn’t trust it would be true his last statement.
    On what it would have been our aniversary, he contacted me after nearly 4 weeks apart. He asked me for a chat face to face. He apologized, he was still attending the psicologist (I knew it before I accepted to that chat, was the main reason I accepted to meet up) and wanted to fix things, that he regret everything and was going to fight for us; and in a near future, wanted to live together (something he always made little comments such as a tiny flat for both of us to live, like making excuses and I confronted him about that in the end). He said he managed poorly stress and he was sorry for that and was working on it. He wanted to continue going to the psicology because he didn’t want to lose everything.
    I, was beginning to move on and admiting that I couldn’t continue that relationship with that much stupid breaking up.
    Now, we have compromised to take things slow. I still have to break the news to my family (he isn’t close with his) to someone, because I’m afraid of their reactions and to tell them the next day that we are done again.

Ali

January 29, 2019 at 12:59 am

So I am still in love with my sons father 8 years later. We had him while we were in high school. And since then we have had multiple domestic violence disputes, he has been arrested multiple times for drugs and such, and he even had a child with another woman. I have always forgiven him for everything he has done. And I love his other son like my own. And I have even grown to love his mother in an oddly way we get along very well. But my family despises my sons father. They are big into loyalty and he betrayed me. Now we have both grown up though and I kind of want to give it another shot. So does he…… I think…. unless he is lying which could very much be the case with his track record. Anyway. I am scared to death to tell my family and don’t even know if I should go for it. Like we have a huge past and a child. But I love him.

Avery

October 2, 2018 at 3:15 pm

I have the opposite problem. My ex broke up with me because I lied. All of my ex’s friends and family loved me, but now they hate me and say terrible things about me since the breakup. What can I do to improve the sphere of influence and give myself a chance to get back together?

October 3, 2018 at 1:23 am

Hi Avery. Everybody lies. You are not a terrible person. Forgive yourself for the mistruth you told and move forward. Acknowledge to your ex you know what you did was wrong. Leave it at that. Then start NC as its a process that provides many benefits. Visit my home page for more information on the resources and tools I provide.

October 3, 2018 at 1:23 am

October 3, 2018 at 1:23 am

Tom

August 27, 2018 at 2:43 am

I need help

Thompson

August 27, 2018 at 2:39 am

Hello, my girlfriend and I broke up about 2 weeks ago, I’m 17 and she’s 16. We were dating for 6 months, and we broke up because I made a terrible mistake. There was one night where a friend of her got on her phone and texted me saying I was a terrible person and boyfriend… I didn’t know it wasn’t her and I was so hurt. That same night I went to hangout with some friends and there was this girl that was there. She moved close to me, I moved away. She did it again and I didn’t pay much attention. I was just to upset to really notice, she then like started moving her hands on my body and then she moved my hands to do the same to her. It happened for maybe 10 minutes and then I stopped it… I should’ve stopped it before it ever happened. I’ve felt awful since, she broke up with me a couple days later after I told her. We have both started talking again and decide we want to give it another try because we want to make this work. The problem is, her parents know about everything and they won’t let her see me whatsoever and tell her we have to be just friends. We want to be more than friends and want to date, and I have done so many things to try and show I am not a terrible person and that I care about their daughter so much. I have tried to talk to them in person and apologize and show how much I care and how I’ll do anything but her mom won’t let me talk to her. I am considering trying to talk to her dad one on one and just really owning up to my mistake but really showing how much I care about their daughter. We want to get back together so bad but her parents are holding us back, what can I do to show them I am not who I made myself seem to be? To show them that I am a good guy who love their daughter as will do anything to make things right and make things absolutely amazing for their daughter. Thank you!

Kaddi

August 8, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Hi, my boyfriend and I were dating for almost a year. During this time he got really close to me and my family. About one month before our anniversary we got into an argument and during a heated moment he broke up with me. We cut all communication and for exactly one month I there was no contact until out of no where he reached out and apologized and wants to fix the relationship and give it another try. I still love him and have a hard time giving up on what was a great thing up until that argument. So as of now we are taking things slow and are trying to see if the relationship can be saved. The problem is that I am extremely close with my family, specifically my older brother. I discussed that me and my Ex were going to give our relationship another try and my brother is extremely against this and now has a lot of animosity torwards my Ex. I love my brother a lot and he was really there for me when the break up happened. I feel extremely torn between the two of them and really want to ease my brother’s anger but I’m not sure how to do so while still attempting to fix my relationship with my Ex. Please give me any advice you may have. Thank you.

Lizzy

March 18, 2018 at 3:34 am

My boyfriend and I dated for almost a year and then i broke up with him over small things that i soon realized were stupid. I then went and apologized and in that moment i realized that i had issues to deal with. We in turn got back together and i started going to a psychiatrist. However, i started taking this medicine that made me paranoid and had serious mood swings. Overall, i did not treat him well that month but as soon as i started taking this other medicine and i was feeling so much better, before i could tell him and show him this, he broke up with me. He had had such a stressful week that he couldnt take it anymore. So, i cut off communication with him for about 4 months and we met to exchange stuff. I thought that I was completely over it but seeing him got me thinking about how much I miss it. We met for lunch again after that to talk about things and we were acting like we used to and I was very happy. My parents and my best friend all dislike him. I want him back but I don’t wanna cause any problems. Help please!

March 22, 2018 at 6:16 pm

Hi Lizzy,

What did you mean by causing problems? What problems are you avoiding?

Alexus

February 17, 2018 at 1:53 pm

I am 17 and I’ll be 18 in 6 months me and my ex are taking a break and we’re not seeing anyone else. We wanna improve on our insecurities. How would I Tell my mom who I am pretty sure would disapprove do I hide it for 6 months? Or wait a couple of weeks she said she didn’t want me seeing him until I’m 18 again but 6 months is a long time.

February 19, 2018 at 4:53 pm

Hi Alexus,

She didn’t know at all that you have a bf? How long have you been together?

Lorna

December 12, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Hi. So I am only 20 years old and I have been with my ex bf for 3 years and we had a pretty messy break up. The reason was kind of petty, it was basically just a big misunderstanding. I cut communication for a month while he’s been actively pursuing me. Take note: he was the one who broke up with me in the middle of an argument. I have cried many times until one time my parents sat me down and expressed their unsupportive remarks about my ex. During the past month i have seen how sincere he was, there was even a time when he went to our house in the middle of the rain because he wanted to talk to me because he couldn’t since i cut our communication. Sadly, i was scared of whatcny father would think and say that i didn’t let him in.
    I do love him and i can see that he does too. We are friends as of the moment. And i dont know how to handle this situation.

December 14, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Hi Lorna,

If it was just misunderstanding, why don’t want to forgive him?

Sepp

June 30, 2017 at 7:39 am

I’m trying to move forward but want to maximize my chances of getting my ex boyfriend back. We were in a long distance relationship for a few months after knowing each other for a while, but I was and still am going to move to his country next month. It all ended in the beginning of march, quiet abruptly through message. A week before the break up he still wanted me to come on holiday with him and his family. Everything has cooled down now, I did NC but every month I sent him a causal message about something and received a pretty positive response from him. Now I haven’t sent him anything for a month and don’t want to send anything to him anymore. I’m waiting for him to initiate. Though I wanted to send a short good bye letter to his parents. Do you think it would harm my chances of getting him back? Surely they would let him know that I send them a letter. Maybe I should drop the fact that he is dealing with depressions. It doesn’t define him, yet I believe it played a major role in his sudden decision.
    thanks for a quick answer! Appreciate your work xx

Sepp

June 30, 2017 at 6:34 pm

basically I’ve done NC twice now with a month in between.

July 4, 2017 at 4:53 pm

So you already did two 30 day nc and after each one you sent just one message? If you improved in those and were active in posting, send another message again.. If you got a positive response that’s ok.. You can continue initiating..just use interesting topics for him

Sepp

June 30, 2017 at 6:33 pm

basicaly I’ve done NC twice now with a month in between.

June 30, 2017 at 4:57 pm

What do you mean that you did nc and sent a message every month? How many times have you done nc?

Anna

June 13, 2017 at 4:56 am

Hi there,
    Looking for advice. Si i have been together with my boyfriend for past 5 years. 2 months ago i found out that he had been cheating on me with someone from work. I had met this woman and invited her into my house. I had known that my boyfriend used to hang out with her..but felt trusting as he had told me when they were meeting up. Things in our relationship had become strained in months previous and i had kniwn that he wasnt happy with new move and new job but thought things would get better. He tried to tell me one night about the affair but i did not believe him at this time. I recieved a call from this womans husband and straight away believed what he said as it all pieced together. I confronted my boyfriend and eventually he confessed. I threw him out of the house and told my family and friends if what had happened. I believe this affair to have taken place for some months. He still works with her at this moment. Since the break up we have kept in contact and he has been very supportive for me. He says that its my decision what happens and doesnt want to pressure me. Lately we have been meeting uo and spending more and more time together. I am very confused about what to do and most of all i hate lying to my family. He has stated that he wants me back and regrets what he has done. There are a lot of underlining issues and im not sure what to do. Any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Anna

June 14, 2017 at 3:14 pm

have you talked about your conditions for him to get back to you?

Confused

February 7, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Hi
    My fiancé (and partner of 8 years) and I broke up at the end of October after I caught him cheating with a married work colleague. I have no idea how long it was going on. I, of course, am devastated but everyone around me doesn’t want me to have anything more to do with him (understandably). I did NC after 6 weeks of us being in ‘friendly’ contact after the event. I tried to remain dignified but had to cut contact after he posted pictures of a ‘break away’ which was too painful to see. He contacted me twice in NC but not in a romantic way. I completed my 30 days NC at the beginning of January but found out she had moved into his flat (after such a short amount of time). It’s changed the situation slightly and has made it more difficult to know what to do. I haven’t contacted him and it’s 2 months since I cut contact. My close friends would support me if I chose to contact him (not sure he deserves it) but would be worried. My family are totally against him (which I can understand). I’m torn between trying to build rapport again and going against my family or trying to accept what’s happened and really try and move on. I miss him desperately and his new relationship seems to have happened and progressed so incredibly fast. He doesn’t live in the same town as me so it’s unlikely our paths will cross regularly. Do I keep my self respect and try to accept what’s happened (which I am finding incredibly hard) or go against everyone’s opinions and possibly put myself in an unrequited position and suffer more pain? We were very close so it all seems quite unbelievable and I don’t know what he’s truly thinking enough to make a clear decision.
    Thank you.

Confused

February 20, 2017 at 6:39 pm

It’s now just over 48hrs and nothing!! I sent ‘oh wow! Have you seen this?!’ expecting a response and then I was going to send a video….maybe he thought I accidentally sent it by mistake as there was no attachment?! Should I send that now saying, forgot to attach or just wait a week and send something completely different?

February 21, 2017 at 8:22 pm

I think it would be different to send the attachment by now.. you can start a different topic in just after 3 or 5 days.. maybe just say that that was a wrong sent before starting a new topic and then you can also talk about what that message is..

Confused

February 18, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Hi Amor
      So today I used the texting bible and sent a ‘have you seen this?!’ text around midday. I didn’t add the next part as I thought he would reply. I didn’t tell friends or family about it. It’s now 5pm and still no reply. I wasn’t expecting that to be honest. What should I do now? Bible says wait a week or so and try again? It’s not looking good though is it….

February 20, 2017 at 6:32 pm

if he didn’t reply for a whole 24 hours, yes, wait a week.

confused

February 15, 2017 at 7:26 am

Thank you so much Amor! Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it. I’m going to give it a go (yikes!). This website has been truly amazing and such a support to me in one of the most difficult situations. You guys are brilliant. Thank you so much.

February 15, 2017 at 7:20 pm

You’re welcome and thank you too!

Confused

February 13, 2017 at 11:06 pm

None of my family believe I should ever have anything to do with him again so I can’t tell them how I would like to contact him. If I did follow the texting bible would I follow at the same pace of text messaging bearing in mind I think he’s still with ‘her’. It seems quite a lot of messaging straight away and it’s almost 4 months since I found him with her. I know they’re trying to protect me which is why I feel guilty doing this behind their backs.

February 14, 2017 at 6:44 pm

tell them the truth and just accept their reaction..That’s just how life is. If you dont want to feel guilty, be honest.That doesn’t mean you have to agree with them.. oh nope, it might take longer than the normal pace of texting..check this one too:
      What To Do If Your Ex Boyfriend Moves On To A New Girl (Video)

Confused

February 8, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Thanks Amor. I have the texting bible but I don’t want to lose my self respect by texting him if there’s no hope. Part of me feels he doesn’t deserve it after he treated me so badly, the other part wants to try but is fearful. I guess I was asking for advice whether you thought it was foolish of me to try as you hear so many situations on this website and I wondered what you honestly thought I should do…message or move on? I don’t mind brutal honesty!

February 9, 2017 at 11:54 am

for me, it depends on why he cheated on you.. if you want to see if it can be rebuilt, start over as friends. If you feel you’re betraying yourself by trying, then dont. You have to think about what you really want because if you keep being unsure, other people will keep imposing on you on what they think you should and should not do

Confused

February 8, 2017 at 6:23 am

Hi
      Thank you for your reply. That’s the problem, I don’t know what to do. What would be your advice for someone in my situation?

February 8, 2017 at 1:09 pm

do you want to build rapport? If yes, do that. initiate contact and then slowly build rapport. Check this:
      Texting An Ex Boyfriend (The New Rules)

February 8, 2017 at 12:31 am

Hi Confused,

they want the best for you but it’s your life..You have to do what you want to be happy or to learn and grow..

1 2 3 4 5