42 thoughts on “How To Get Your Ex Back After A Bad Breakup”

Lauren

August 31, 2018 at 8:55 pm

My ex and I were together for more than two years, but dated once before, four years ago- that first break up was horrific. I almost can’t believe we got back together, but we eventually did, and we were convinced it was forever this time.
    I broke up with him-impulsively, and ::cringe:: over text- six weeks ago, after a major argument. We’d been having problems for awhile, and he just would not work with me to address them. His way of dealing was to shut me out and give me the silent treatment. We lived together and have a dog. We’d discussed marriage as recently as 3 months ago. Since the break up I’ve moved out and we’re sharing custody of our dog, who we consider to be our kid- neither of us want children. I’ve asked to reconcile, and he’s made it very clear that the break up was my decision and that I need to live with it. He’s not interested in discussing it. He hardly responds to communication re: dog care. He’s given no indication that he wants to fix things. I don’t know if it’s anger/stubborness on his part, or I should wait and hope he’ll change his mind eventually. I’d appreciate your thoughts.

September 1, 2018 at 1:03 am

Hi Lauren…..seems like you should roll into no contact. Go to my home page and check out the tools and resources I offer that can help you thru this. I think his stubbornness will wear down with a well implemented ex recovery plan!

C

August 31, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Enjoyed the article. I’m kinda like half way into no contact atm and I have a couple of questions.

If you sleep with someone whilst you’re apart, how do you handle it if your ex asks? My ex is intensely jealous in that way.

Also (and I know nobody else can truly answer this) I’m starting to feel like maybe I don’t want him back anyway? But part of me does. I’m just not really sure whether to carry on making an effort with him. I’m not really sure what the deciding factors should be there.

September 1, 2018 at 1:18 am

Hi C…allow for time and space to inform you about whether you want him back enough to make an energetic effort. If there is doubt about want him, then you have your answer there. Probably best not to talk about your personal life with your ex. You should go to my home page and check out my resources….particularly, “The No Contact Rule Book” as it will help you with figuring out what you really want.

Kate

August 29, 2018 at 3:11 pm

What if my ex told me he doesn’t see himself regaining his trust in me? I was happy with him, but I didn’t really communicate with him properly and I got so tangled up in my own issues so I told him that we should break up a couple of times. Finally, he told me that he doesn’t want to be with me anymore. I went no contact for few weeks and I recovered from a breakup and then i realized that he was my favourite person but I wasn’t good with telling him how much i love him. How can i regain his trust and convince him that this time it will be better?

August 30, 2018 at 1:31 am

Hi Kate….you know that guys can say stupid things. Trust works both ways. He needs to trust in himself. He chose you as his girlfriend, so he sees something special in you. Just think small steps in trying to rebuild trust. Keep on with NC, but give him a heads up that you are working on yourself.

1 2